Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and my windows settings say I have a digital license. I recently bought a new motherboard and new SSD. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jguo65, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Jguo65 Win User

Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Hi,

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and my windows settings say I have a digital license. I recently bought a new motherboard and new SSD. I cloned the OS from my old SSD to my new SSD and my PC can boot and I can log in, however it tells me that I need to activate windows. I was under the assumption that the digital license I had would follow my account, so when I would log in it would activate windows but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Do I need to deactivate the digital license on the previous motherboard/SSD first before I can reactivate on my new hardware? That is the only other explanation I could think of as to why this isn't working, but I don't want to deactivate my digital license on my old hardware only to have this issue persist on my current new hardware. Could I get confirmation? And if so, can I also get steps on how to properly dissociate my digital license from the old hardware before I can use it for my new hardware?

Thanks,

Jonathan

:)

Jguo65, Mar 22, 2019
  2. Cooly568 Win User

Windows 10 Digital Activation Issues on New Motherboard

I have used my Windows 10 Home Digital License to activate Windows on my new computer, and that worked fine, however, I needed to switch out my motherboard because of issues with my old one. This invalidated the license. Upon trying to reactive the digital
    license, it fails to validate, saying, "We can’t activate your copy of Windows as the digital license for this device has already been used to reactivate Windows."

Cooly568, Mar 22, 2019
  3. New motherboard

How was Windows 10 setup on your computer?

Was it the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a preinstalled OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8 license?

If it was, then you can't transfer it to a new motherboard.

Was it the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license?

Then, yes, you can transfer it.

If its retail, the first thing I would make sure you do is link your license to your Microsoft Account:

Shutdown your computer, open the system unit, remove the old motherboard, install the new motherboard, connect your hard disk, then boot the system.

Windows 10 will automatically reconfigure itself then boot up.

Sign in.

If Windows 10 does not automatically reactivate, you can wait a few days.

If not, open Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Troubleshoot

Sign in

Click Next, then choose your computer from the list of machines.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

1. Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard - Similar Threads - Activating digital license

2. Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine: HiI built a PC a few years ago and purchased a Windows 10 digital license through the Microsoft store. Recently I managed to spill a glass of water on the machine and it will no longer boot.I rebuilt a new PC and wish to transfer the license over from the old PC to the new...
  3. Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine: HiI built a PC a few years ago and purchased a Windows 10 digital license through the Microsoft store. Recently I managed to spill a glass of water on the machine and it will no longer boot.I rebuilt a new PC and wish to transfer the license over from the old PC to the new...
  4. Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't transfer digital license for Windows 10 Pro to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't transfer digital license for Windows 10 Pro to new SSD: My old SSD Samsung 970 is failing. I installed a new SSD Samsung 980, same capacity of 2TB with a new copy of Windows 10. I used the 5x5 Windows activation key, but the new version of Windows is Home whereas I had purchased an installed the Pro version on the old SSD. I can...
  6. Activating new SSD with the old license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  7. Activating new SSD with the old license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  8. Windows 10 digital license wont activate on new hardware

Windows 10 digital license wont activate on new hardware: Howdy! So I just got a new macbook pro with bootcamp. On my old macbook pro with bootcamp i purchased windows 10 home digitaly, and it is now supposed to be linked to my account. However I cant get it to activate on my new macbook. I get Error code 0xC004F213 I...
  9. Activation of windows 10 on new computer by Digital License

Activation of windows 10 on new computer by Digital License: Hello, I just build a new pc with windows 10 home(not activate yet) and trying to transfer windows 10 pro from my old pc by digital license method, however when I use the problem solving function to activate it, it said that the version do not match and not usable, what...
  10. Windows 10 digital license activation on a new PC.

Windows 10 digital license activation on a new PC.: Hello, i got a free upgrade to Windows 10 on my laptop when Microsoft first announced it. That was a few years ago. I got a new PC last year and the shop i got it from had already Windows pre-installed on the device. As i discovered, it was a pirated license. It started...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after my motherboard curned out and was replaced windows activation has dissapeared

2. windows 10 digital license on new motherboard

3. refurbished pc digital licence new ssd

4. windows 10 new motherboard old ssd,
  5. win 10 digital license transfer new motherboard,
  6. activating windows 10 license,
  7. new motherboard windows 10 activation 2019,
  8. digital licence transfer on ssd,
  9. transfer windows digital licence to new motherboard first then sdd,
  10. can i transfer my win 10 digital license to a new ssd?