Windows 10: Activating Windows after a hardware change and updating version of Windows

Discus and support Activating Windows after a hardware change and updating version of Windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there, I recently updated my hardware to get a ray-tracing compatible GPU. I also upgraded my motherboard and CPU while I was at it. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by WilliamAllington, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Activating Windows after a hardware change and updating version of Windows

Hi there, I recently updated my hardware to get a ray-tracing compatible GPU. I also upgraded my motherboard and CPU while I was at it.

After changing my hardware, I also had to update to Windows 10 version 1809 to be able to use Ray Tracing. Because of this, the product key update troubleshooter doesn't work.

How can I authenticate my version of Windows?

:)

WilliamAllington, Nov 16, 2018
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

windows activation—hardware changed siginficantly

From time to time on my thoroughbred PC, I get a Windows activation message that says my hardware changed siginificantly and I have to re-activate Windows. My hardware hasn't changed any more than a network card (went from a wireless g card to onboard lan to a wired network card), and the install is legit. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Activating Windows after a hardware change and updating version of Windows

Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

Activating Windows after a hardware change and updating version of Windows

1. Activating Windows after a hardware change and updating version of Windows - Similar Threads - Activating hardware change

2. Windows activation after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows activation after hardware change.: I have upgraded my PC hardware and can now not activate my windows. When I click on "I have changed my hardware" I am prompted to enter the product key. After entering the product key I am met with the error "Unable to activate Windows We can't reactivate Windows as our...
  3. Windows activation after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation after hardware change.: I have upgraded my PC hardware and can now not activate my windows. When I click on "I have changed my hardware" I am prompted to enter the product key. After entering the product key I am met with the error "Unable to activate Windows We can't reactivate Windows as our...
  4. Windows activation after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows activation after hardware change: i recently changed hardware to a new cpu the first motherboard i installed had usb and other issues so changed to a gigabyte board , i had reactivated windows on the dodgy asus board and when i went to reactivate again on the gigabyte board it wouldnt allow it saying it had...
  6. WIndows Activation After Changing Hardware

WIndows Activation After Changing Hardware: Hi there, I'm just after some advice, I recently changed the motherboard and CPU hardware in my pc and logged into my Microsoft account and it has popped up to tell me to activate windows, I haven't got the product code only the ID for the edition of Windows 10 pro, I...
  7. Windows activation after hardware change

Windows activation after hardware change: Hi, I recently changed motherboard, CPU and RAM and ended up with the "Activate Windows" message... Troubleshooting did not resolve and inputting the original key led showed the following error code: 0xc004c060 The installation pack is genuine, and i had it installed for...
  8. Windows activation after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows activation after changing hardware: Recently I changed my motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I didn't know I had to save my product key before, and thought it wouldve saved onto my account, what do I do to reactivate it without buying another key? submitted by /u/angrypintobean [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows Activation after hardware change

Windows Activation after hardware change: I have just changed my motherboard, cpu and ram in my pc and when i loaded up i have the Activate Windows message in the bottom of my screen. Prior to upgrading i had full version of windows 10 and it wont let me troubleshoot it in settings. I do not have a windows activation...
  10. windows not activating after hardware change

windows not activating after hardware change: hi I have upgraded my motherboard from msi to asus prime b450-plus and the cpu has changed from fx8350 to ryzen 2700x and now my copy of windows is not activating can you help ?...