Windows 10: Activating Windows After A Hardware Upgrade

Discus and support Activating Windows After A Hardware Upgrade in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently swapped out my motherboard and CPU for some well overdue upgrades. There didn't seem to be a any issues when I first started using the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Faudeth, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Activating Windows After A Hardware Upgrade

I recently swapped out my motherboard and CPU for some well overdue upgrades. There didn't seem to be a any issues when I first started using the new hardware in the morning, but after returning from work in the evening I now have to reactivate my Windows key. I used the troubleshooter and chose the option saying, "I changed hardware on this device recently", but when it tries to connect to Microsoft's servers to activate, it fails and says the servers are busy. I waited until the morning to see if that would allow the servers to take my information, but I'm still getting the same issue. I learned the hard way that Microsoft does not have any phone-based customer support, and the web helper has me go through the same steps with no results. My Windows key is a Windows 7 key that I purchased about 4 years ago and upgraded to Windows 10 roughly 2 years ago. I had no issues until this hardware change. What can I do to fix this?

submitted by /u/Faudeth
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Faudeth, Nov 30, 2020
  2. red454 Win User

Activation after new hardware upgrades?

Right - my point was to see what would happen if I tried the OS from one system on a totally different motherboard, and it went better than I expected, other than the activation - which I expected. I did chat with a Microsoft rep today online and he confirmed that after the hardware upgrade on a free Win10 upgrade that they (Mircosoft) will have to remote access my system to verify the proper key, etc. before they can reactivate it.

red454, Nov 30, 2020
  3. activating windows 10 after hardware upgrade

hi

trying to activate windows 10 after hardware update but it keeps saying no

i followed the troubleshooter steps but something goes wrong and it just says oops try again later...

any suggestions?

Thanks

tristonhampson, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Kolby65 Win User

Activating Windows After A Hardware Upgrade

Activating Windows 10 Pro After a Hardware Upgrade!

I followed all the steps to linking my Windows 10 Pro to my Microsoft account so that I could upgrade my hardware, reinstall Windows 10 Pro, and activate it, but it's not working. I'm signed into my Microsoft account. I tried the activation troubleshooter,
    selecing that I recently changed hardware, etc. Nothing is working. I can see my old computer under my Microsoft account, as well as my new one (with better hardware). I changed the motherboard, ram, and CPU. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Kolby65, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Activating Windows After A Hardware Upgrade

1. Activating Windows After A Hardware Upgrade - Similar Threads - Activating Hardware Upgrade

2. Windows Activation after Hardware Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation after Hardware Upgrade: Hello, so I had recently gotten some new parts for my PC Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Case but I'm still using the HDD and SSD I had in my old pc beforehand. When I booted up the new PC and waited a bit I noticed the "Activate Windows" in the bottom corner so I went to check...
  3. Activating after hardware upgrade

Activating after hardware upgrade: I know NOW that i should have linked my license to my Microsoft account and gotten a product key. I didn't know that before I changed my motherboard, cpu and memory. My question is, if I now change back to my old hardware, will Windows be activated again and can I then do...
  4. Windows will not activate after hardware upgrades

Windows will not activate after hardware upgrades: I recently upgraded the hardware in my computer (motherboard, CPU, RAM). Windows will not activate now. The error code I have is, 0xC004F025 I've tried everything from this KBA, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change It...
  5. Activation after hardware upgrade

Activation after hardware upgrade: I upgraded my MB, cpu and ram and am unable to activate windows 10. I linked my windows licence to my Microsoft account before my upgrade but it will not let me activate. I've tried trouble shooting activation (clicking on changed hardware) and customer support, but they...
  6. Windows Activation After Hardware upgrade

Windows Activation After Hardware upgrade: I bought Windows 8 in 2013 and did the free Windows 10 upgrade. I no longer have access to my original Windows 8 product key. I recently upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and ram. when I tried to activate windows 10 it gives me an error code: 0x803F7001. My Windows 10 was linked...
  7. Windows Will Not Activate after a hardware upgrade

Windows Will Not Activate after a hardware upgrade: I recently changed my motherboard and my processor. Heck I changed everything except my hard drive and now windows will not activate. I've done all the steps suggested in activation of windows but it is not working. The original computer was a prebuilt, it had windows 7 on...
  8. Windows not activated after hardware upgrade

Windows not activated after hardware upgrade: I have recently upgraded my standard PC and custom built my own. I've used the existing CPU and HDD and built it around those components. My Operating System was stored on my HDD and I have moved it to my SSD and now it is saying that I do not have Windows activated. I have...
  9. Windows Activation after hardware upgrade

Windows Activation after hardware upgrade: We have a laptop Manufacturer: LENOVO Model: 20C600HHZA Serial Number: PF040HX3 that currently running Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586 that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. We need to replace the harddrive, is it possible to activate it again on...
  10. Activation after hardware upgrade

Activation after hardware upgrade: Just a quick question please, is there any way of reactivating a digital entitlement license obtained by upgrading from Win7 for free, on upgraded hardware, without having to link a MS account? Privacy issues and all that...I know phone activation worked for me with Win7 once...