Windows 10: Activating windows after losing product key and performing a hardware change.

Discus and support Activating windows after losing product key and performing a hardware change. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Long story short, I purchased this computer in its entirety off of someone from Craigslist so naturally, I have no possibility of tracking them down.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kryptoxd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. kryptoxd Win User

Activating windows after losing product key and performing a hardware change.

Long story short, I purchased this computer in its entirety off of someone from Craigslist so naturally, I have no possibility of tracking them down. The PC never came with a manual or, in this case, a product key. Years later (today), I do major hardware changes, which entail purchasing absolutely every component besides the SSD with Windows 10 installed to it. Now I'm using this brand new PC but I'm stuck with either having to pay for a new version of windows or stick it out with the Activate Windows watermark forever on my screen.

To sum it up, lost product key with no chance of getting it back, had major hardware change, however I used to sign in with a Microsoft account and the "About Windows (run: winver)" tab lists that the product is listed under my email (which is my Microsoft account). How can I activate windows using my email as proof that it's a legitimate copy of the OS?

:)

kryptoxd, Mar 17, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 17, 2019
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Windows 10 pro Activation after hardware change

Moving the hard drive to a new device will lose activation. Windows 10 is activated against the hardware and changing hardware will invalidate activation.

If Windows 8.1 was pre-installed (OEM) it is not transferrable to a new device.

If Windows 8.1 was retail then enter the Windows 8.1 key into Change product key.

neilpzz, Mar 17, 2019
  4. Activating windows after losing product key and performing a hardware change.

Windows 10 Product Key

Hi Oscar,

Since the laptop has no battery compartment wherein the product key is usually located, we recommend that you follow these steps to find your Windows product key:

• Press Windows + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter this command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and hit Enter.

Also, if you're looking to reinstall Windows 10 after a hardware replacement, we recommend that you follow the steps provided in this

article

Let us know if performing these steps resolved the issue.

Dennis Mop, Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

Activating windows after losing product key and performing a hardware change.

1. Activating windows after losing product key and performing a hardware change. - Similar Threads - Activating losing product

2. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  3. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  4. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to activate key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to activate key after hardware change: Hi,I've upgraded my system after a long time, I have a product key which I used on the previous system, but when I try to activate it I get the error code 0x803fa067, saying that I cannot activate this version of windows with my product key.I've seen in my account that the...
  6. Windows loses activation after BIOS update. No hardware changed.

Windows loses activation after BIOS update. No hardware changed.: Windows loses activation after BIOS update. No hardware changed. This PC was licensed with a digital license through the Insider Program. The PC still shows up on my microsoft account with the same hostname but does not show as powered on... I do use a Microsoft account...
  7. I cannot activate Windows 10 after a hardware change with a product key.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cannot activate Windows 10 after a hardware change with a product key.: I use a product key to activate my Windows 10 that the computer has a hardware change recently. My Windows version is Windows 10 Education and I tried following this article but it don't work. What should I do?...
  8. Windows activation after a hardware change, missing Windows 10 Pro product key.

Windows activation after a hardware change, missing Windows 10 Pro product key.: Hello, I recently updated my PC hardware (I still have the same hard drives) and as I fired up my new computer, I got a greeting from the "Activate Windows" -text on the bottom right corner of my monitor. As I can't remember or find the code for the Windows 10 Pro I was...
  9. Lost production key after hardware change

Lost production key after hardware change: Hello. So i recently bought and installed a new motherboard with cpu and rams. And were about to clean up my documents for a fresh install, when sudden my windows activation was "lost"? My windows 10, was the "free" update from Microsoft, which was updated from my windows 7...
  10. Windows 10 won't activate with valid product key after hardware change

Windows 10 won't activate with valid product key after hardware change: I recently updated my motherboard and now it says Windows 10 isn't activated. My Microsoft account is logged in but still won't work. It's the same computer with different MOBO. I have a valid Windows key that I bought and won't activate Windows 10. Would appreciate help!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. loss activation windows 7 after change mainboard