Windows 10: Activating windows after upgrading PC's problems

Discus and support Activating windows after upgrading PC's problems in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Long story short: Upgraded main PC to new MOBO and CPU etc. Put old MOBO CPU etc into a new tower and took GPU and HDDs from second pcmostly for kids... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ffawesomesauce, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Activating windows after upgrading PC's problems

Long story short: Upgraded main PC to new MOBO and CPU etc. Put old MOBO CPU etc into a new tower and took GPU and HDDs from second pcmostly for kids into the new tower to improve second PC. Fresh installed windows on second PC with new hardware and main PC booted up without needing to wipe. Now main PC is requesting activation but second PC is not. I would like to use the original windows activation on second PCWas previously a prebuilt acer and move original activation to the new MOBO in main PC. Main PC was originally a windows 8 PC that got free Win10 upgrade. Tried troubleshooter to no avail.

:)

ffawesomesauce, Feb 24, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Feb 24, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

Activating windows after upgrading PC's problems

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

Activating windows after upgrading PC's problems

1. Activating windows after upgrading PC's problems - Similar Threads - Activating upgrading PC's

2. Activation Problems after Upgrading from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation Problems after Upgrading from Windows 10: I bought a new HP PC that came with windows 10. I received a notification that I can upgrade to windows 11 for free, which I did. I have continued to stay updated since then and my PC now runs on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2.I keep getting this error: We can't activate Windows...
  3. Activation Problems after Upgrading from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation Problems after Upgrading from Windows 10: I bought a new HP PC that came with windows 10. I received a notification that I can upgrade to windows 11 for free, which I did. I have continued to stay updated since then and my PC now runs on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2.I keep getting this error: We can't activate Windows...
  4. Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade: HiWe keep a spare licensed and activated Windows PC which we use for upgrading hardware. To make the new device compatible with windows 11 we had to install windows 10 onto a new hard disk with the previously activated windows 10 hard drive as the D: drive. So we always have...
  5. Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade: HiWe keep a spare licensed and activated Windows PC which we use for upgrading hardware. To make the new device compatible with windows 11 we had to install windows 10 onto a new hard disk with the previously activated windows 10 hard drive as the D: drive. So we always have...
  6. Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Problem with Windows activation/upgrade

Problem with Windows activation/upgrade: Hello, I have been trying to upgrade my Windows home edition to Windows professional but it won't let me do it. I also get pop often that my Windows will expire but when i go to the settings it says "Windows is activated" When i go to the Microsoft Store and try to...
  8. Activation problem - PC upgrade

Activation problem - PC upgrade: Hi all, After 12 year absence of using Windows I decided to change one of Linux machines to Windows 10 and purchased a online key direct from Microsoft. Finding that the Ryzen 3 1300X PC wasn't powerful enough for my photography needs I change over the SSD hard drive with...
  9. Not able to Activate Windows after upgrading PC

Not able to Activate Windows after upgrading PC: So I had windows 8 back in 2015, but then I got the free upgrade to Windows 10 in that same year. It worked fine until a couple of months ago I upgraded my PC, and now it gives me an error code for activating windows. I also have a constant watermark in the bottom right hand...
  10. 'Activate windows' watermark after PC upgrade

'Activate windows' watermark after PC upgrade: So I recently upgraded my PC with a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and cooling system, but after getting everything up and running I noticed a had the 'activate windows' watermark in the bottom right of my screen, even tho I have a legit version of windows 10, and I don't have...