Windows 10: Activating windows on 2 computers with 2 unique product keys and only 1 installation disk

Discus and support Activating windows on 2 computers with 2 unique product keys and only 1 installation disk in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently built my own PC, and activated windows on it. I bought an install disk that came with a license of it's own, and used that to activate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Owen Cunningham, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Activating windows on 2 computers with 2 unique product keys and only 1 installation disk

I recently built my own PC, and activated windows on it. I bought an install disk that came with a license of it's own, and used that to activate windows successfully.
    I want to know whether or not it is possible to buy a second product key to use on a second system to install windows, and if so, where I can get one legally.
    in case it's relevant, the disk' exact product name on the package is: "win home 10 64bit english 1pk dsp oei dvd version 1903".
    Thanks in advance.

:)

Owen Cunningham, Jul 5, 2020

2. 2 Questions - Installing Windows on a New Laptop and Changing the Username on Startup

Windows 10 licensing has nothing to do with your email address or user name.

You can only use the license (product key) to activate on one computer only.

Its not a subscription. If you want to have Windows 10 installed on more than one computer, you need to purchase and use a use a unique product key for each computer it installed on.

If you want to move the license from one computer to another, you must remove it from the previous computer it was installed on and you need to use chat support to reactivate.

Step 1:

Step 2: Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Jul 5, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Two Computers Activated With The Same Product Key

Millions of computers have the same Windows 10 product keys.

Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions

That's because Windows 10 uses digital licenses for activation based upon the computers unique hardware IDs instead of product keys for activation. The only function of a unique product key in Windows 10 is to initially establish the digital license.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Activating windows on 2 computers with 2 unique product keys and only 1 installation disk

Seeking Advice on Taking and Deploying Win 10 Image to 2 Devices

As long as you have unique product keys to activate the systems with, you shouldn't have any problems getting one system set up, then copying the image to the other systems. You will just have to change the computer names and change the product key to the unique product key on the new computer. Before you make the image to transfer, I would run the command:
    slmgr /upk

in a command prompt (admin) or Powershell (admin). That will remove the product key so it doesn't get transferred with the image. Maybe even change the computer name to a temporary name too before imaging.

So, my suggested steps would be:
    1. Set up first computer with everything.
    2. Change the computer name to something temporary.
    3. Run slmgr /upk
    4. Make the backup image with Macrium Reflect.
    5. Restore the original computer name and product key on the first computer.
    6. Load image to next computer.
    7. On the activation screen, enter the unique product key for that computer
    8. Change the computer name to it's permanent name.

Macrium Reflect does have a function to deploy to new hardware, but I've never used it, and it might be available only in the paid version.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

Activating windows on 2 computers with 2 unique product keys and only 1 installation disk

1. Activating windows on 2 computers with 2 unique product keys and only 1 installation disk - Similar Threads - Activating computers unique

2. 2 KEY INTO 1 ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 KEY INTO 1 ACCOUNT: I bought a laptop recently which came with a windows 11 home version preinstalled into it. Then i bought a windows 11 pro retail key and activated it into my laptop with the same microsoft account. Will my account have 2 keys attached to it?...
  3. 2 KEY INTO 1 ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 KEY INTO 1 ACCOUNT: I bought a laptop recently which came with a windows 11 home version preinstalled into it. Then i bought a windows 11 pro retail key and activated it into my laptop with the same microsoft account. Will my account have 2 keys attached to it?...
  4. Installing windows on 2 different disk in 1 Laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows on 2 different disk in 1 Laptop?: Currenlty i have windows installed on disk C SSD and i also have disk D HDD both are not partitioned, i wish to install another windows 10 on disk D, my Laptop is pre installed with windows 10, will it works ? will it be activated ? will my data on disk D gone?im planning to...
  5. Installing windows on 2 different disk in 1 Laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing windows on 2 different disk in 1 Laptop?: Currenlty i have windows installed on disk C SSD and i also have disk D HDD both are not partitioned, i wish to install another windows 10 on disk D, my Laptop is pre installed with windows 10, will it works ? will it be activated ? will my data on disk D gone?im planning to...
  6. Installing windows on 2 different disk in 1 Laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Combining Disk 1 and 2 on windows disk management?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Combining Disk 1 and 2 on windows disk management?: Hello guys i wanted to see if there was a way i could combine my two ssd drives into 1 disk.. it originally came with only 1tb of hhd and 1tb of ssd... i had an issue with the system32 and sent it to geeksquad for repairs, when i got it back i had 4 disks, 500gb ssd x2, and...
  8. Halo 2 product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Halo 2 product key: Hi I have an old halo 2 game but no product key, can i please have one provided so i can play this game? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/halo-2-product-key/ea587412-d3e9-4335-b196-258a8a6e2e64"
  9. 2 active hard drives with only 1 working windows installation

2 active hard drives with only 1 working windows installation: After a SSD drive with my W10 installation dying on me I had to reinstall everything. After installing the new drive and working through the installation I now get a selection with to instances of W10 on every boot. I must select either "Windows 10 on drive 1" or simply...
  10. 2 OSes, 1 Product Key?

2 OSes, 1 Product Key?: I created a Windows 10 installation media on a USB stick under Windows 8.1 Pro (Full Retail) on my new computer. My old computer had Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM). I ran setup.exe on the USB stick under each 8.1 Pro OS. They both ended up with the same product key. Why? Which license...