Windows 10: Activation after hardware change

Discus and support Activation after hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, I just upgraded my motherboard after many years of faithful service from my old one, and now my version of Windows 10 Home is no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BeanExMachina, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Activation after hardware change

Hi all,

I just upgraded my motherboard after many years of faithful service from my old one, and now my version of Windows 10 Home is no longer activated. The version of Windows I'm running was a free upgrade from Windows 7, which I bought separately when I first built my PC. Based on everything I've read in trying to troubleshoot this so far, this version should be eligible for a hardware change. When on my old motherboard, the activation page in settings says, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" All good so far. However, when I run the activation troubleshooter on my new motherboard and see my list of devices, it claims that the device in question is not running a version of Windows that supports this feature. Based on the above, I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Any ideas, before I drop $130 on a new license?

:)

BeanExMachina, Jul 20, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 20, 2020
  3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Activation after hardware change

Can't activate after hardware change

Hi Sullivan,

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware
    change later, such as replacing the motherboard. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this
    link. The link contains all the necessary information on how to reactive Windows 10 after a hardware
    change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Activation after hardware change

1. Activation after hardware change - Similar Threads - Activation hardware change

2. Activating after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after hardware change: Hi all,Firstly, how does one call Microsoft and speak with a person?Secondly, I have a digital license but I don't think it was linked to my MS account. I have changed motherboard/cpu/ram recently and need to activate. How do I go about this? A friend has told me I need to...
  3. Activation after a hardware change

Activation after a hardware change: I recently upgrade my mobo and cpu. My previous windows 10 install was an upgrade of windows 7 with a digital license activated on my windows account. Upon switching my hardware my windows 10 is not activated and the troubleshooter does not offer any options for hardware...
  4. Activation After Hardware change.

Activation After Hardware change.: Hi I downloaded Windows 10 Home some time ago and it activated with a digital licence linked to my account. I decided to upgrade the motherboard but now it won't reactivate ,I'm logged into my account and clicked I changed my hardware selected the device but it won't...
  5. Activation after hardware change

Activation after hardware change: So I recently changed my motherboard, cpu and memory and reinstalled windows 10 corrupt sys 32 or something idk. Obviously, I then had to reactivate windows but when I tried to it told me that I had already reactivated windows using that key. I never have. Is this something...
  6. Activation after a hardware change.

Activation after a hardware change.: I'm having issues with activating windows again after changing the hardware in my PC. I've been having this issue for a few weeks now, and it's starting to do my head in! I checked before changing the hardware in my PC that my account was linked, so I didn't have this issue....
  7. Activation after hardware change

Activation after hardware change: Hello! I upgraded my pc, and I was signed into my school mail account on the previous system. Now I want to reactivate my licence, but I'm stuck in troubleshooter because I get error That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one. But it is...
  8. Activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after hardware change: I recently upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and ram. I had Windows 10 Pro installed with a product key that i do not have access to. Before i did the hardware change, i made sure that it was linked to my account. I went to activation in the settings and it said "Windows is...
  9. activation after hardware change

activation after hardware change: I got a new motherboard and power supply for Christmas, and threw them in yesterday. I didn't change or reset the ssd's, windows did its little driver update thing for 2 minutes, and loaded in. all was well, but now I get this annoying note telling me to activate windows. I...
  10. Activation after Hardware Changes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after Hardware Changes.: I've recently rebuilt my PC with completely new Mobo, CPU and RAM. However, my HDD is the same and I've just plugged it in straight from my old PC, without using any sort of transfer utility. Windows is now telling me it is not activated , and when I click on "recent hardware...