Windows 10: Activation after transfer to new M.2 drive

Discus and support Activation after transfer to new M.2 drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So straight to it, I got windows way back in 2013 for my PC, installed and activated it. Then it updated to windows 10 a while back. Then this week I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DavidGriffith46, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Activation after transfer to new M.2 drive

So straight to it, I got windows way back in 2013 for my PC, installed and activated it. Then it updated to windows 10 a while back. Then this week I got a new M.2 ssd and used the samsung cloning program to transfer from my old ssd onto the m.2 one. When I try personalise anything I get told to activate windows. I am given an error message (see picture) and troubleshooting tells me I am not connected to the internet. Don't know what to do! Any advice would be appreciated! Activation after transfer to new M.2 drive 0d101424-d34f-47ec-9f8d-7d54da9ba989?upload=true.png

:)

DavidGriffith46, Jun 13, 2019
  2. timctran Win User

Transfer Bootable Windows 10 Partition to External Drive and then to Replacement Drive

I would consider implementing the steps found here (twice): Cloning windows from a hard disk drive to a m.2 ssd

1. Make the proper back-ups.
    2. Clone the original m.2 to the SSD.
    3. Switch to booting from the SSD (in BIOS).
    4. Clone the SSD to the new m.2.
    5. Switch to booting from the new m.2 (in BIOS).

timctran, Jun 13, 2019
  3. replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

I have a DELL Desktop Computer XPS XPS8920-7581SLV-PUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 desktop running Windows 10 Pro with the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 NVme drive as the C: drive and a 1TB hard disk as the D: drive. I have installed a couple of games and applications to the D: drive due to the size of the install files.

I am now planning to replace the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 drive with a Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO M.2 NVme drive.

The procedure I plan to use is to:

• clone the Toshiba drive to a new Western Digital SSD installed in a hard disk bay
    • replace the Toshiba with the Samsung
    • clone the new SSD back to the Samsung

At that point I should have a bootable C: on the Samsung NVme drive.

The next step would be to move the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk to the Samsung NVme drive since I now have the space for them.

However it is not really possible to just move installed applications due to all the Registry changes that would be needed.

The two applications are Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 (both Community Edition) and the games are World of Warcraft, Destiny 2, and Fallout 4 (the last being a Steam download).

So I am looking for advice on these changes.

Alternative approaches

It seems that I have a couple of options:

• clone the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD and just use the new SSD as D:
    • uninstall the games and applications then reinstall them to the new C:
    • create a D: partition on the new NVme drive and copy the installation folders there

The easiest approach would seem to be to clone the 1TB drive to the new SSD as D: and move on. However I would be missing out on the NVme goodness with the games as well as the Visual Studio programming environment.

The most straightforward approach would be to uninstall the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk and then reinstall them to the C: drive.

The applications are Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, both Community Edition. These would both be straightforward to uninstall from D: and reinstall to C:.

The games are World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 from Blizzard and Fallout 4 from Steam. These games will require long download time probably two or three days over my internet access. And I would have to start Fallout 4 all over again.

Concluding thoughts

Perhaps the best option would be to combine the first two options.

Since the Visual Studio uninstall and install would be fairly painless I could do that while leaving the games on the 1TB drive and then do the clone of the 1TB drive to the new SSD. Then at a later date I could move World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 over to the NVme drive.

I would think that working with Visual Studio would be easier and quicker from the NVme C: drive while the games would be quick and responsive enough if the game assets are on an SSD.

Richard Chambers, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Lagged Win User

Activation after transfer to new M.2 drive

M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @Dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @Dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Activation after transfer to new M.2 drive

1. Activation after transfer to new M.2 drive - Similar Threads - Activation transfer drive

2. How do I transfer the programs from the 2tb M.2 drive to a new computer or external drive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I transfer the programs from the 2tb M.2 drive to a new computer or external drive...: I have a 2tb m.2 drive that has programs on it that was the c:\ drive on a laptop that bit the bullet. I never backed up these programs. Since, the old laptop doesn't work, I can't uninstall the programs on that computer. So, I need to move the programs from the M.2 drive to...
  3. M.2 DRIVE PROBLEMS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M.2 DRIVE PROBLEMS: sometimes it doesn't and I tried to install a new operating system after the installation m laptop goes to bios as if the is not drive in the computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/m2-drive-problems/5b214040-b5ac-4c1e-bb6c-df57104c971e
  4. M.2 DRIVE PROBLEMS

M.2 DRIVE PROBLEMS: sometimes it doesn't and I tried to install a new operating system after the installation m laptop goes to bios as if the is not drive in the computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/m2-drive-problems/5b214040-b5ac-4c1e-bb6c-df57104c971e
  5. New M.2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New M.2: Greetings,I've recently installed a second M.2 First one is my primary C: I installed a few games and it was working fine for a few days.Then suddenly it would Bluescreen Crash and restart my Windows 11 every time i would start a game.I installed and ran CrystalDiskMark and...
  6. New M.2

New M.2: Greetings,I've recently installed a second M.2 First one is my primary C: I installed a few games and it was working fine for a few days.Then suddenly it would Bluescreen Crash and restart my Windows 11 every time i would start a game.I installed and ran CrystalDiskMark and...
  7. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  8. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  9. Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive: Hello all first post here I did a brand new installation of windows on my new m.2 drive I used a usb to do that and installed Windows 10 pro on my new sn850 1 TV m.2 drive . Since doing so windows takes upto a minute to load on my old samsung 980 Evo took a matter of seconds...
  10. Adapter for M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adapter for M.2 Drive: I need an adapter to check the condition of a Kingston 128gb SSD NGFF M.2. I need to be able to plug it into a card that can then connect via USB to another PC. I've got a few adapters but not one for this drive. Any idea which adapter I need? This is the drive Kingston...