Windows 10: Activation/Boot Questions

Discus and support Activation/Boot Questions in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, have two questions regarding Windows 10 that I hope y'all can help me with. First off. I did a clean install of Windows 10, I thought I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Knagar, Mar 1, 2021.

1. /u/Knagar Win User

Activation/Boot Questions

Hi, have two questions regarding Windows 10 that I hope y'all can help me with.

First off. I did a clean install of Windows 10, I thought I had purchased Pro through the Windows Store, but it turns out I had purchased Home, so now Microsoft won't let me activate it. I tried searching for a way to simply upgrade from Home to Pro so I didn't have to do a complete reinstall, but I for the world of me can't find out how to do that on the Windows Store. It's almost as if they make it so convoluted and silly that you abandon it and buy a Pro key outright.

If anyone knows how I can upgrade, or if I am simply stuck with a reinstall of Home, that would be great.

Next question a multi-part regarding boots. I can put my PC to sleep, not touch a thing, and it will wake up right away. I tried checking the boot log to see what was causing it, but couldn't make heads nor tails of it. Tried adjusting all the power settings, telling it to now allow programs to wake, but still does it.

The second part to the question is turning itself on. I've noticed a few times that I will fully shut my wifes PC down at night, and in the morning it will be back on. This one I am only assuming is down to Windows, unless their is something wrong with the PC itself that is causing it to turn itself on. The only way to keep it from happening is to physically turn the PSU off at the back.

Any help on either, or both, topics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Some Autobot told me to include extra info.

My system

Intel i5-8400

Corsair 3600MHz 32GB

Gigabyte Z370P-D3

Corsair H55 AIO

Corsair RM850 PSU

ASUS RTX 3070 Dual 8GB

Samsung EVO 840 SSD 120GB - Windows Boot Drive

Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVME 250GB - Long Load Games

WD Blue 3D NAND SSD 500GB - Medium Load GamesSeagate BarraCuda

HDD 3TB - Short Lord Games / Storage

Windows 10 PRO - 19042.804

Wifes System

Intel i5-4590

Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz 16GB

ASRock Z97 Anniversary

Deepcool GAMMAXX L240 AIO

Corsair RM650x PSU

RedDevil RX580 8GB

AData SU800 SSD 500GB - Windows Boot / Storage

Windows 10 HOME - 19042.804

submitted by /u/Knagar
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Knagar, Mar 1, 2021
  2. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Mar 1, 2021
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Mar 1, 2021
  4. Activation/Boot Questions

Wiped Hard Drive Can't Boot Vista

I did try every possible boot order and even with deactivated options, which I don't even know how or if that is helpful. I will try the Vista possibilities. The OS was listed in the BIOS, whatever that means, and it said it was a factory version, which I think is a good thing.

The PXE error messages may have occurred when I activated the network adapter and tried that in the boot order. Obviously, I am in way over my head. Thanks for the suggestions!

Techtardette, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

Activation/Boot Questions

1. Activation/Boot Questions - Similar Threads - Activation Boot Questions

2. Activation questions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation questions: I am facing some issues with my laptop so I want to reset it. First time when my laptop came I signed in with my mother's account and then changed it to mine Microsoft Account.So after resetting Windows I had to use my mother's account or my account for activating?Or will it...
  3. Activation questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation questions: I am facing some issues with my laptop so I want to reset it. First time when my laptop came I signed in with my mother's account and then changed it to mine Microsoft Account.So after resetting Windows I had to use my mother's account or my account for activating?Or will it...
  4. Activation questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Activation question

Activation question: Hello,I am currently running windows 10 home which was a freeupgrade from windows 7.I am planning on replacing the motherboard, cpu, and memory in my computer.I'm assuming I would have to buy windows 10 from microsoft to activate.Once this is done and I plan on upgrading the...
  6. Activation question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation question: Hello,I am currently running windows 10 home which was a freeupgrade from windows 7.I am planning on replacing the motherboard, cpu, and memory in my computer.I'm assuming I would have to buy windows 10 from microsoft to activate.Once this is done and I plan on upgrading the...
  7. Activation question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Activation Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Activation Question: I have two devices running Windows 10 and I'd like to activate them both. One is running Home and the other is running Pro. The price of purchasing those two versions is different. Should I buy the cheapest version of Windows that I can since I only want the activation key...
  9. Activation question

Activation question: Hello. I just recieved a call from a computer company that has helped me in the past with bugs. They said that my computer isnt activated. Ive had it for four years now and it lists both product id and key #. It also says windows 10 edition but underneath it that is labled...
  10. Activation question

Activation question: I am a long time Win7 hold out. However, I just installed Win10Home on my laptop using the Media creation tool. Will I have to activate or purchase a Win10 key? I have seen some on Ebay for less than $10, but am not sure those are genuine. I have Winver 1903 and a check of...