Windows 10: Activation:"Digital License" form in-use before input of Retail Key...

Discus and support Activation:"Digital License" form in-use before input of Retail Key... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What would cause Windows to activate prior to the input of a CD-Key? From some supposed "digital license"? I had installed an OEM version prior to this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by endag, Nov 21, 2020.

1. endag Win User

Activation:"Digital License" form in-use before input of Retail Key...

What would cause Windows to activate prior to the input of a CD-Key? From some supposed "digital license"? I had installed an OEM version prior to this but deleted the partition and formatted prior to my (current) retail version.

:)

endag, Nov 21, 2020

2. Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

After doing the upgrade from Windows 10 Education 1511 to 1607, Settings > Update & security > Activation, switched from "activated with a product key" to Activated with a Digital License".
    Activation has changed with the upgrade to 1607.
    To clarify what I'm talking about I'll add some info.
    I originally installed Windows 10 Education 1511 with my MSDN Retail key. Settings > Update & security > Activation would show "Activated with a Product key" and show the last 5 digits of the key I used to activate it.
    After it upgrading to 1607 via Windows update, it now says "Activated with a digital License tied to your Microsoft account". It has switched to a Digital license?

As a test, I did clean install of Windows 10 Education 1511 on a PC that never had that version installed on it. I did a " I don't have a key" option and it installed and showed as not activated.
    I then entered one of my Retail MSDN keys and activated it. It then showed as "Activated with a product code" in Settings > Update & security > Activation.
    I then did a clean install on that same PC, with a " I don't have a key" option and it showed as not activated. If it had a DL it would have activated automatically.
    I then entered my MSDN key and activated it. It showed activated with a product key as before. To me that indicates it does not have a digital entitlement.
    As one last test, I installed windows 10 Education 1511 with a skip key, then upgraded to 1607, and it still showed as not activated, this PC does not have a digital license.

I was told by another forum member that any activation of Windows 10 will get you a digital license, and that's its always been that way. Which, as far as I can tell, is not true.
    The PC I'm referring too, was activated twice with Windows 10 1511 but still shows as unactivated on a clean install of 1511 and 1607.
    All installs being switched to a digital license only happened with the release of the anniversary edition. Before that Retail installs stayed as activated with a product key.

If anybody has upgraded from a retail install of Windows 10 1511, I would be very interested to know what , Settings > Update & security > Activation shows for you?
    Doesn't matter if its Home, Pro etc? My keys were Retail keys.

alphanumeric, Nov 21, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

This webpage has been updated to reflect what is new with version 1607 of Windows 10:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-10-activation

It clearly states that if your Windows 10 is activated with a retail product key, then you get a digital license in return. The unanswered question is whether or not that digital license is stored on Microsoft activation servers based upon installation ID or whether the user must re-enter their retail product key on a new clean install. The answer to that question would be to do a clean re-install the version 1607 Windows 10 Education edition in the OP and skip entering the product key and see if it activated automatically online - or if the product key will be required to be entered to obtain activation.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2020
  4. RonTG Win User

Windows is activated by a digital license

Hello,
    I have a Dreamspark's Windows 10 multiple edition key which is retail.
    I installed it for the first time on a new laptop and its status was "Windowa is activated.".
    I had to return the new computer because it was faulty, and got a new one. I dont know what Lenovo did with my older one which had the Windows key on it.
    Anyway, I installed Windows 10 using the same key but now the status is "Windows is activated by a digital license".
    Can someone tell me what caused the change and what are the differences? What about validity issues - is digital license need to be confirmed in Microsoft database once in a while?
    Thanks

RonTG, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Activation:"Digital License" form in-use before input of Retail Key... - Similar Threads - Activation Digital License

2. Is Digital License Activation key legit ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Digital License Activation key legit ?: I found on the web there were lots of web sites selling these keys for under 20$ even 2$. But in Microsoft store it's over 100$.Are those keys really legitimate ?...
  3. Digital license retail versions.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital license retail versions.: I have 2 retail cd keys education and enterprise that I can no longer use as they say they are in use on other devices. The education one I know which computer its on and I did a slmgr /upk and unlicensed the edu version and formatted the computer and put the OEM version and...
  4. Digital license retail versions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital license retail versions.: I have 2 retail cd keys education and enterprise that I can no longer use as they say they are in use on other devices. The education one I know which computer its on and I did a slmgr /upk and unlicensed the edu version and formatted the computer and put the OEM version and...
  5. Digital license retail versions.

6. How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key: Hi Everyone,I upgraded my desktop, mainboard + cpu + NVMe. I wished to keep NVME but it was not detected on new mobo, I had to change it too. It was bad memory with Manufacturer. I found that new NVMe has OS pre-installed with OEM lic somehow, but I want to transfer my Retail...
  7. How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key

How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key: Hi Everyone,I upgraded my desktop, mainboard + cpu + NVMe. I wished to keep NVME but it was not detected on new mobo, I had to change it too. It was bad memory with Manufacturer. I found that new NVMe has OS pre-installed with OEM lic somehow, but I want to transfer my Retail...
  8. About Activation My Retail License Key.

About Activation My Retail License Key.: 1. Can I activate Windows 10 by enter my retail key to my new pc without uninstall retail key from my already signed older PC?2.After activated retailed key , What happen when I signed my Microsoft account Digital License linked to Microsoft account... may be transfer my...
  9. Activation:"Digital License" form in-use before input of Retail Key...

Activation:"Digital License" form in-use before input of Retail Key...: What would cause Windows to activate prior to the input of a CD-Key? From some supposed "digital license"? I had installed an OEM version prior to this but deleted the partition and formatted prior to my (current) retail version. 168904
  10. Cannot activate after hardware change, used digital license before

Cannot activate after hardware change, used digital license before: Dear Microsoft Community, I've run into a frustrating problem after I switched out my motherboard, Ram and Cpu. I know that the license is normally bound to the mainboard and therefore created an digital license linked to my Microsoft Account to cope that and dont get any...