Windows 10: Activation failed but ok with clean install need help please

Discus and support Activation failed but ok with clean install need help please in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have had Windows 10 PRO since the free upgrade from w7 pro....a few years now. Unfortunately my PC is now reporting it is not activated have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by red dwarf 4ever, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Activation failed but ok with clean install need help please

I have had Windows 10 PRO since the free upgrade from w7 pro....a few years now. Unfortunately my PC is now reporting it is not activated have tried all the usual procedures DISM etc, without success. I did a clean install iof W10 and it activated immediately, so the digital licence is ok. I need to know how i can repair the corruption that is declaring my PC not activated. I really don’t have the time to reinstall everything from anew, as i am a 24/7 carer, i have a few Macrium reflect image backups, but these all have the activation issues. Need some help please

:)

red dwarf 4ever, Mar 17, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 17, 2020
  3. Can't activate windows after clean reinstall

It sounds like you did this:

• Install Windows 10 as upgrade from previous version
    • Clean install Windows 10 again

The clean install will not activate if the original "upgrade install" didn't get activated prior to the clean install. What needs to happen is this:

• Install Windows 10 as upgrade from previous version
    • Activate Windows 10
    • Now you can clean install anytime without activation problems

I believe that step 2 got skipped. It should activate on it's own after several hours/days, but if you do a clean install before that's done (or don't manually activate yourself first), you will have to go back to step 1 and upgrade from inside your previous
    qualifying version (yes, that means re-installing Windows 7 or whatever you had before).

Please don't shoot the messenger Activation failed but ok with clean install need help please :)

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Mar 17, 2020
  4. swat354 Win User

Activation failed but ok with clean install need help please

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

Thank you john for all of your help i decided to get the usb my computer came with and factory reset it i didnt have anything that personal or valueable so its ok thanks for the help though i appreciate it

swat354, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

Activation failed but ok with clean install need help please

1. Activation failed but ok with clean install need help please - Similar Threads - Activation failed clean

2. [HELP] Need to clean install windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Need to clean install windows: Hi all, I got new laptop where windows 10 is activated. Now I want clean install windows 10. Without losing windows 10 activation how can I do this ? Also wanted to complete wipe c drive data and keep other drive data as it is? Please guide me submitted by /u/Santhire55...
  3. Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation

Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation: My PC's OS (Windows 10, 64-bit) is not booting and it was recommended that I download the Windows 10 Disc Image ISO. Following the link on this subreddit, I was able to follow the instructions and download the ISO, but it can't seem to transfer it to a USB, even though the...
  4. Messed up clean install. Help needed.

Messed up clean install. Help needed.: Was doing a clean install and deleted the partitions, got the message 'We couldn't create partition or locate...." Went online for trouble shooting, which did not work. Right now, I am getting this " Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media ...." How much...
  5. need help with activation PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    need help with activation PLEASE HELP: Hello my name is Landon and I have been trying to activate windows on my computer for a while now , I received my PC as a gift and when I got it windows 10 Pro had already been installed on it, all of a sudden windows has stopped working , and will not reactivate , the...
  6. Need help in clean installation of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help in clean installation of windows 10: My computer came with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) and then did upgrade to windows 10 Recently wanted to do the clean installation of windows 10 so downloaded the windows 10 from microsoft and created iso file of it. while clean installation process found this Name Total Size Free...
  7. Windows 10 clean install - fails to activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 clean install - fails to activate: I did a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro in early July. It hosed my machine, with constant CPU usage of 80-99%. Details are provided here: Windows 10 Upgrade Failure Results in Unusable PC – Specific Questions I struggled to fix it throughout July, and then...
  8. Need help with a clean Windows 10 install

Need help with a clean Windows 10 install: After using a Microsoft account to login to Windows, then deciding to switch to a local profile, and giving myself Admin privileges, my Windows permissions are so messed up I've decided to start with a clean install. I tried reinstalling Windows hoping to fix some of these...
  9. Clean install fails activation

Clean install fails activation: I have a HP desktop with W-7 that the HD is failing. (Almost failed) I can't do a clone or a system image. I installed a new HD and booted from my latest USB Upgrade from the Windows Media Creation tool. I skipped the activation as it installed. Now when I use the...
  10. Windows refresh fails, after clean install no activation.

Windows refresh fails, after clean install no activation.: I was refreshing Windows 10 to fix some issues with the store, when after at least 90% completion, the PC looped into restarting again and again. Eventually, I installed windows 10 from a USB, and now i've lost my upgrade, and Microsoft views it as two PC's. In addition to...