Windows 10: Activation following hardware change.

Discus and support Activation following hardware change. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I changed the motherboard in one of my desktops and am having hangups with re-activation. The original install was confirmed as digitally activated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RichardMillerXC, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Activation following hardware change.

I changed the motherboard in one of my desktops and am having hangups with re-activation. The original install was confirmed as digitally activated prior to MB changeout. A problem was encountered following changeout in that the SSD containing the original Win 10 installation suddenly became unreadable and would not be recognized. It was recognized by the UEFI on the new MB but would not boot. I looked at it on another computer and windows manager did not acknowledge its existence. Examination using EaseUS Partition Master it appeared normal with the typical array of Windows operating files and responded to an MBR repair without any reported issue, but still would not boot.

In desperation, I then created a bootable USB using the Media Creation Tool and proceeded first with an attempted repair of the original installation on the SSD and when that failed, proceeded with a new clean install. The installation went without incident and the installer recognized that a previous copy of Win 10 was resident on the disk and it was relegated to the windows.old file.

The installation has operated well and without further incident except - attempts to activate this installation using the troubleshooting routine in settings-activation- I have a hardware change refuse to activate my installation.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can recover my activation?

:)

RichardMillerXC, Apr 11, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 11, 2019
  3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Activation following hardware change.

Do hardware changes affect my Windows 10 activation?

Hi Alejandro,

The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will
    not
    impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact the activation status once you upgrade are changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement

Hope this information helps.

Rohit Siddegowda, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Activation following hardware change.

1. Activation following hardware change. - Similar Threads - Activation following hardware

2. Windows Activation and Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation and Hardware Change: I recently swapped my MB, CPU, and RAM from a b450 to a b550 and from an AMD Ryzen 3 to a 5. I bought a prebuilt that came with windows in 2020 from Skytech Gaming it’s the ArchAngel with the GTX 1060 ti and 8 GB of ram. however since I changed it I haven’t been able to...
  3. Activation After Hardware change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation After Hardware change.: Hi I downloaded Windows 10 Home some time ago and it activated with a digital licence linked to my account. I decided to upgrade the motherboard but now it won't reactivate ,I'm logged into my account and clicked I changed my hardware selected the device but it won't...
  4. Activation on hardware change

Activation on hardware change: I have recently changed my motherboard and other parts I need to change the product code to the new device I have done this once before but that involved ringing Microsoft which overall was an awful experience is there any way I can do it in my settings...
  5. Activation when changing hardware

Activation when changing hardware: My PC is running Windows 10 Pro, which was acquired via a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. I don't recall whether that version was OEM or Retail, as I got it something like 11 years ago through my university at the time. It involved going on to a microsoft store, adding a...
  6. Activation after hardware change

Activation after hardware change: So I recently changed my motherboard, cpu and memory and reinstalled windows 10 corrupt sys 32 or something idk. Obviously, I then had to reactivate windows but when I tried to it told me that I had already reactivated windows using that key. I never have. Is this something...
  7. hardware change and activation

hardware change and activation: my pc running windows 10 was sent in twice to the manufacturer for motherboard issues while under warranty. now that the warranty period is over, i would like to swap out the motherboard all together. i would like to know if there will be a problem with automatic activation...
  8. Hardware changes and windows activation

Hardware changes and windows activation: I recently changed a lot of hardware to my computer including the motherboard. There is a watermark in the lower right hand corner saying to Activate Windows. So I went to the activation in settings and used the trouble shooter. I clicked the link on the troubleshooter that...
  9. Activation after Hardware Changes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after Hardware Changes.: I've recently rebuilt my PC with completely new Mobo, CPU and RAM. However, my HDD is the same and I've just plugged it in straight from my old PC, without using any sort of transfer utility. Windows is now telling me it is not activated , and when I click on "recent hardware...
  10. Hardware changes and activation

Hardware changes and activation: In my experience over many years of monkeying about with pc hardware, I have never had problems activating genuine copies of Windows. Changing cpu's, hdd's ram and graphics cards have never bothered Microsoft. Back in the XP days, I also changed motherboards with OEM software...