Windows 10: Activation is lost due to changing hard drive to another pc for a while

Discus and support Activation is lost due to changing hard drive to another pc for a while in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have problems with my PC that it sometimes it doesn't run properly but when it happens I switch my SSD to my laptop to fix it and get it back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Dogdashdos, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Activation is lost due to changing hard drive to another pc for a while

Hello,

I have problems with my PC that it sometimes it doesn't run properly but when it happens I switch my SSD to my laptop to fix it and get it back to my PC and it made me lose my activation although I have the key and enter it. it gives me error 0xc0ea000a and ask me to purchase a genuine copy although I have one on my Microsoft account!

:)

Dogdashdos, Jan 10, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

Lost ability to view extrenal hard drive

Hello Scott,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Is the drive visible under Disk management?
    • Have you assigned a drive letter for the external drive?
    • Does the drive get detected on connecting the same to another PC?

You might be facing the above issue due to the unallocated letter for the drive. Unallocated drives are those whose drive letters are not allocated when initially partitioned or after formatting. You will be able to view the drive on your PC if you
    have allocated a drive name for the partition created. The drive will not be visible on the PC if you do not allocate a drive letter or a drive name.

The issue may also occur due to some of the system components conflicting with Windows 10 operating system on the PC.

Method 1: Running the troubleshooter will help in detecting and identifying the issue and in certain cases will fix to enhance the performance of the system.
    I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooter and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View all from left side panel of the screen.
    • Select Hardware and Devices, click on Advanced
      option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.
    • After troubleshooting is completed, check for the status, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, I suggest you to check if the device gets detected under
    Disk management by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option from the context menu.
    • Check if WD external hard drive is visible in the window.
    • If visible, check if you can open the files in the File Explorer by right clicking and selecting
      Open option form the context menu.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Arul_D, Jan 10, 2020
  3. How to change/remove integrity levels on hard drive?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

- Do you get any error message/code?

- What is the make and model of your PC?

I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

• Windows key + X, click
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
      ENTER:
    chkdsk /g

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might
    be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Activation is lost due to changing hard drive to another pc for a while

Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your efforts for trying to fix this issue. Good to know that you have already checked the disk activity in Resource monitor. As you have mentioned that there is no activity in the resource monitor, this issue can be
    caused due to hardware, software or a bad sector. However, let us follow these methods to check if there is any application or a bad sector is causing this issue.

Method 1: Boot your PC into safe mode and check if you are facing this issue in safe mode. Refer the article on
    Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    for steps to boot your PC into safe mode.

Method 2: Troubleshoot the problem by using the Disk Check tool.

To do that,

1. Type CMD in the Windows search bar.
    2. Right click on Command Prompt and
      Run as administrator.
    3. Chkdsk C: /f and tap on Enter.

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Activation is lost due to changing hard drive to another pc for a while

1. Activation is lost due to changing hard drive to another pc for a while - Similar Threads - Activation lost due

2. Lost windows 11 due to hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost windows 11 due to hard drive failure: I bought a Lenovo laptop and the hard drive failed and I now have to buy a new hard drive. How can I recover my windows 11 license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-windows-11-due-to-hard-drive-failure/3090cfae-c935-4cbc-94be-014df99bee91
  3. Lost windows 11 due to hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost windows 11 due to hard drive failure: I bought a Lenovo laptop and the hard drive failed and I now have to buy a new hard drive. How can I recover my windows 11 license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-windows-11-due-to-hard-drive-failure/3090cfae-c935-4cbc-94be-014df99bee91
  4. Activation After Change of Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation After Change of Hard Drive: I have just purchased a new SSD hard drive for my PC and have successfully created a boot DVD using the Media Creation Tool. I am about to install Windows 10 Pro to my aging Dell Vostro 430. Under "Activation" in "Settings" it states "Windows is activated with a digital...
  5. Windows activation failure due to hard drive change

Windows activation failure due to hard drive change: Hi, Recently I had to replace my Hard drive as my previous hard driveSATA got corruptedNot working. For the new Hard DriveSSD i installed the windows, but it didn't get activated with windows. My lap was pre-installed with widows. The model is ASUS F556UV. Now It isn't...
  6. Files and apps lost or scattered after restoring backup due to change of Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files and apps lost or scattered after restoring backup due to change of Hard Drive: Hello, My Hard Drive was replaced by Dell and I made a backup. After restoring the backup data, my file is scattered or lost. I do not find my Microsoft Office apps. They are not appearing in the search bar. I had to install the browser and other apps again. A lot of my...
  7. Lost hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost hard drives: I have a somewhat complicated set up with two computers, a main and the backup, and a large number of peripherals that are attached to switches to move them between the two computers. The problem I have is on my main computer and concerns three USB external hard drives. They...
  8. moved hard drive from one PC to another. Re Activate Windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    moved hard drive from one PC to another. Re Activate Windows?: All is working fine except it is telling me we need to reactivate Windows. Broken PC was an older Compaq, newer (still old) is an HP. All works fine but the need to reactivate Windows is here. Please advise best options....
  9. Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows

Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows: My screen on my old computer went out. So I moved my hard drive to my sister computer. Her computer was down as the hard drive was bad. I was running Windows 10 home She was running Windows 7 Pro. So in moving my harddrive it is requesting me to activate my copy of...
  10. Windows activation - changing hard drives

Windows activation - changing hard drives: Hi I'm considering changing my boot drive, currently a standard drive for and SSD and then reinstalling Windows on it. Will that have an affect on Windows reactivating on my computer due to a hardware change? My current install was from the free updates some while back....