Windows 10: Activation issues after switching motherboards

Discus and support Activation issues after switching motherboards in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After getting a new motherboard (and making sure beforehand my Windows 10 license is linked to my Microsoft account), Windows refuses to activate. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Lumber Wizard, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Activation issues after switching motherboards

After getting a new motherboard (and making sure beforehand my Windows 10 license is linked to my Microsoft account), Windows refuses to activate. It does display part of a product key, along with an error code 0xC004C003, but I can't be sure it's my original product key since I lost it. Is there anything I should do before calling support? I already tried clicking troubleshoot and going through "I changed hardware on this device recently", though because the motherboard was changed it doesn't seem to want to cooperate with me.

:)

Lumber Wizard, Nov 29, 2018

2. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Nov 29, 2018
  3. csatennis Win User
    Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Nov 29, 2018
  4. mshimala Win User

Activation issues after switching motherboards

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

Activation issues after switching motherboards

1. Activation issues after switching motherboards - Similar Threads - Activation issues switching

2. Motherboard change → The activation Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard change → The activation Issue: My Sony Vaio Motherboard has changed. It had the OEM license, How can I activate window 10 now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-change-the-activation-issue/a841eae6-5b69-48b2-a7bc-9506db4445fb
  3. Motherboard change → The activation Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Motherboard change → The activation Issue: My Sony Vaio Motherboard has changed. It had the OEM license, How can I activate window 10 now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-change-the-activation-issue/a841eae6-5b69-48b2-a7bc-9506db4445fb
  4. New Motherboard Activation issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Motherboard Activation issues: I have recently gotten a new Motherboard (the SSD where Windows is installed has not changed) and I can't get rid of the "Activate Windows" message in the bottom right, I have the original product key but I keep getting error code 0x80041023 whenever I try to enter it and the...
  5. Windows 10 Activation after Motherboard switch

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation after Motherboard switch: I recently had to swap out my motherboard after the last one giving out. My windows is now inactivated and I am unable to activate again. I am able to run slmgr /ipk with my key and get a successful activation. When I try to run slmgr /ato I receive a script host error...
  6. BSoD after motherboard switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD after motherboard switch: Hello ! So today I changed my motherboard from a MSI B450M-A PRO MAX to an AORUS B550 Elite. When I booted up my PC, everything seemed normal, but a few seconds after I sign in I get a BSoD with error code SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. My theory was and still is that old drivers...
  7. Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch.

Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch.: Hey everyone, before I switched my motherboard I got the free windows 10 upgrade from windows 7. After I switched it I now have a grey letter in the bottom right stating "Activate Windows go to setting to activate windows." Which I have tried doing so and I've used the option...
  8. Windows activation issue after motherboard replacement

Windows activation issue after motherboard replacement: I replaced my pc's motherboard today. After first boot I found that my pc was not activated anymore. By mistake I also deleted my old device registration from my windows account. Now I can't activate using my old product key. Please advice. Thanks...
  9. Activating Windows 10 after a motherboard change issues

Activating Windows 10 after a motherboard change issues: My previous motherboard was fried unexpectantly. I change out to a new motherboard and now windows is telling me that I need to activate it. I don't have a product key since my windows account uses a digital license connected to my windows account, which I am logged into....
  10. Switched motherboards, Windows activation error

Switched motherboards, Windows activation error: I replaced my motherboard today and am now getting errors when trying to activate windows now. Not really sure whats wrong, I have the same SSD with Windows from my old motherboard. I'm guessing Windows ties into the motherboard itself but I am unsure on how to go about...