Windows 10: Activation issues -- digital license

Discus and support Activation issues -- digital license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. I am running Windows 10 Pro N under parallels on a mac. I originally was running windows 7, and at some point a while back, I upgraded to Win10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JimReich1, Nov 9, 2018.

1. JimReich1 Win User

Activation issues -- digital license

Hi. I am running Windows 10 Pro N under parallels on a mac. I originally was running windows 7, and at some point a while back, I upgraded to Win10. That Win10 says it's running on a digital license connected to my microsoft account.

Unfortunately, at the time I originally installed, I must have accidentally installed the 32 bit version, and I have critical apps that have started to require 64 bits.

So I created an install ISO from the media creation tool and booted it under parallels. However, it's not activated and says it's not connected to a digital license. I can see both parallels instances on my account.microsoft.com page. Everything about them looks identical on that page, and the hardware configuration of parallels is the same for both as far as I can tell.

When I try activation on the 64 bit Win10, it fails with "we can't activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. Error code: 0xC004C003" (according to the working 32 bit version, there is no product key, it's a digital license tied to my microsoft account)

The Microsoft support person I spoke to says I'll need to re-buy Windows 10. I don't understand why I can't just connect my 64 bit VM Win10 to my digital license and then I can just drop the 32 bit version.

Any ideas on how I can either salvage a workable product key from the working Win10 or connect the 64 bit Win10 to my digital license?

:)

JimReich1, Nov 9, 2018

2. Digital license

Thats how licensing works with Windows 10, the digital license is attached to your Microsoft Account and makes it easy to reactivate Windows 10 in the event you reinstall it.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Digital License

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

4. Activation issues -- digital license

digital license

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Thema:

Activation issues -- digital license

1. Activation issues -- digital license - Similar Threads - Activation issues digital

2. Digital License Activation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Digital License Activation: I purchased a Digital License of Windows 11 Pro and recently reset my PC while keeping the files but now that I’ve finish setting up my computer, it says I need to activate Windows. Someone help please....
  3. Digital License Activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital License Activation: I purchased a Digital License of Windows 11 Pro and recently reset my PC while keeping the files but now that I’ve finish setting up my computer, it says I need to activate Windows. Someone help please....
  4. Windows 11 Activation Issues With Digital License

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Activation Issues With Digital License: I have a Windows 11 Pro digital license linked to my microsoft account. I'm using a new device now and trying to activate it. It's the same system W11 Pro and I've logged in with my Microsoft account. However, it is not activated. I thought that was because the old device...
  5. Windows 11 Activation Issues With Digital License

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Activation Issues With Digital License: I have a Windows 11 Pro digital license linked to my microsoft account. I'm using a new device now and trying to activate it. It's the same system W11 Pro and I've logged in with my Microsoft account. However, it is not activated. I thought that was because the old device...
  6. Windows Pro 10 Digital License Activation Issues

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Pro 10 Digital License Activation Issues: I had purchased the license in 2019 from the online store as the full $200 retail package. During that time I had moved computers a few times with no issues. But recently I changed hardware again and this time windows is refusing to activate. I started the fresh windows...
  7. Digital licensing issues

Digital licensing issues: Hey I was wondering if there's something wrong with my digital edition of Windows 10 home. I have upgraded my motherboard and been having activation issues with my account. Ok I've updated the motherboard atleast 4 times in total from Win 7 Home> free Win 10 home edition...
  8. Digital License issue

Digital License issue: I upgraded my windows 8.1 to win 10 now I reinstall a new version of Windows 10 because changing my HDD to SSD, I lost my Digital License and I don't remember what was the version of my windows (home or pro), and unfortunately, I didn't connect my License with a Microsoft...
  9. Digital License Activation Problem

Digital License Activation Problem: I had a activated windows 10 device which I got by upgrading from windows 8.1 to 10. I got a digital license to my account. But unfortunately I recently changed my motherboard then I tried to troubleshoot my activation to reactivate Windows 10. But I got some server error. So...
  10. Activation and digital licensing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation and digital licensing: I have a Toshiba Satellite A200 purchased with windows Vista Pre-installed. This was replaced with a purchased version of windows 7 and then with windows 8 also purchased both activated by the 25 digit product key that came with the product in the normal fashion. Windows 8...