Windows 10: Activation method Win7 v Win10

Discus and support Activation method Win7 v Win10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just reinstalled Win7 Ultimate x64 on a SLIC-enabled Dell laptop (same OS as the OEM installed) by inserting the appropriate VLK when prompted during... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 2WolvesPaul, May 3, 2016.

1. Activation method Win7 v Win10

I just reinstalled Win7 Ultimate x64 on a SLIC-enabled Dell laptop (same OS as the OEM installed) by inserting the appropriate VLK when prompted during installation, followed by running slmgr.vbs -ilc with the appropriate digital certificate once initially logged in.

I then upgraded directly to Win10, which came up no problem as 'activated Win10 Pro'.

I then created a USB Windows 10 install media using Microsoft's tool for the purpose.

My question is: If I were now to try installing Windows 10 directly from my newly-created USB win10 install media, without loading Win7 first, would Win10 activate in a similar manner to Win7 using the same VLK as I used for Win7, and the same digital certificate, and the same slmgr.vbs commands?

:)

2WolvesPaul, May 3, 2016

2. Windows 10 does not activate with valid product keys from Win-7 Enterprise or Win-8 Pro

I downloaded Win10 as iso file to install in a new Hyper-V virtual machine under Win8Pro. The valid product keys from Win7-Enterprise and Win8-Pro are not accepted and installation is aborted. Activation by telephone asks for a serial number shown in an
    Activation wizard, which is not used by Win10. How do I install my free upgrade to Win10?

HansEdelman, May 3, 2016
  3. Cybot Win User
    Need information on XP Mode on Windows 10

if you use VMlite your copy of xp mode is already activated, just as it was under win7 XPmode. IMHO, for purposes of having virtual copy of XP, VMLite is superior to win10 hyper-v. in hyper-v, unless you have the enterprise version of win10, you can not
    use USB device passthrough. with VMlite, you can, just as you can with win7 XP mode. Of course, you need to have XP drivers for the device to work, but that's a given.

Cybot, May 3, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Activation method Win7 v Win10

Once your Win 10 Pro is activated, it is "digital entitled".
    You can put away your Win 7 UItimate software. No need of it anymore.

You can use the bootable Win 10 USB you have created to reinstall Win 10 Pro in the same computer any time you want, as often as you want.
    Since it is already digital entitled, no product key is required and activation will always be automatic.

davidhk, May 3, 2016
  5. That's really good as far as my own machine goes - thanks Activation method Win7 v Win10 :) glad

What could I use this USB key for in the future? I end up fixing lots of computers for friends & relatives. Apparently "I can do computers"; I was naturally born that way, they seem to think! No effort was ever required *Rolleyes

I'm imagining the following scenarios:

1. Someone wants their OEM Windows 10 machine formatting and reloading / new hard disk / etc. I'm wondering if, this media I've just created will be fine for that purpose as long as the relevant OEM activation info is present in the machine's hardware, and I have the correct digital certificate?

2. Someone has a broken OEM Windows 7 machine sometime in the future (I've vaguely read about a July 29 deadline?).. could I then use this media to install Windows 10 on that machine using the OEM activation info in that machine's hardware? Either directly or by upgrading from a Win7 reinstall?

3. Assuming in case 2., after the free upgrade deadline, Windows 10 will not install using the auth derived from the prior Windows 7 installation, could I still use this media to install / upgrade to Win10 if a new install key was purchased?

I'm finding that Windows 7 is nowardays essentially dead in the water, it seems to have become exceptionally loath to have any truck with Windows security updates *Sad hence the desire to be able to (legitimately) load Win10 on repair jobs for folks.

2WolvesPaul, May 3, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Scenario #1
    2 conditions :
    1. that other guy must still be using the same motherboard. New motherboard = new computer, and Digital Entitlement is null and void. (It has been mentioned that someone managed to sweat talk MS to activate a new MoBo. I wouldn't count on it.)
    2. your bootable usb must contains the same Windows 10 edition, language and bit version as the guy's computer is running. Otherwise, your bootable usb might not be able to do installation because it will require entering a product key which I don't think your other guy has, and definitely no good for activation.

Scenario #2 and #3
    What is " sometime in the future "? Before or after July 29th, 2016 ?
    (a) If it is before, you can use the bootable USB and Clean Install using the Win 7 product key to activate.
    *** The bootable USB must be of correct Edition, Language and Bit-version ***
    Upgrade path is:
    Home to Home.
    Pro to Pro.

Activation method Win7 v Win10 [​IMG]

(b)If it is after...........Free Win 10 upgrade expires on July 29th 2016.
    After that date one has to purchase a valid Windows 10 license to upgrade.
    You can use your bootable USB to install but it will NOT be activated.

davidhk, May 3, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    You can sinply now clean install windows 10 and use your 7 product key to activate it. You need the COA key if preinstalled windows 7.

cereberus, May 3, 2016
  8. Fafhrd Win User

I believe that x86 or x64 can use the same product key - one at a time, naturally , and you can't upgrade from x86 to x64 directly, but digital entitlement is bit-ambivalent, so digital entitlement on a 64-bit qualifying operating system will enable clean install activation on a 32-bit one and vice versa.

Fafhrd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Activation method Win7 v Win10 - Similar Threads - Activation method Win7

2. win7 is not activated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win7 is not activated: I have win7 pro with genuine product. Now my laptop corrupted, so that when i install win7 it is not activated. what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-is-not-activated/4afa75bd-59b2-4827-b756-68fb9cb5b19c
  3. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  4. Win7 to Win10 Upgrade, using Unattended/Script Method

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 to Win10 Upgrade, using Unattended/Script Method: Hi All, Looking to push out Win10 upgrades to 50+ machines (remotely using PDQ, or Ghost Solutions Suite) so an XML or script would help, I'm just simply trying to find out what is the best way to do this ? I have been using the Mediacreationtool APP, from Microsoft, for...
  5. Win7 to Win10 won't activate.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win7 to Win10 won't activate.: Hi all, I got a problem i still have about 60 notebooks left with Win7 enterprise. What i did was got the files from SCCM that we normally deploy/install our notebooks with. I started the setup and it came with a upgrade procedure, following all the steps it started...
  6. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  7. Networking Win10 with Win7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking Win10 with Win7: how to connect a win 10 pc with a win 7 pc in a local network via wifi ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networking-win10-with-win7/31128bd4-e0ca-434b-9f02-73990826111c
  8. Win10 from Win7 activation key lost

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 from Win7 activation key lost: Hi everyone, I'll try to be as brief as possible with this matter: I used to have an old VAIO laptop back when Windows 10 was released, and there was the chance to update from my original activation of Windows 7. I did so, then gave this laptop to a realtive, and just got...
  9. Downgrade Win10 to Win7

Downgrade Win10 to Win7: Hi.... I want to back to use Win7, I bought a new notebook with Win10 installed, Can I downgrade it to Win7? Thanks... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-win10-to-win7/2e9a1762-030d-48ad-ad2c-d0513a2b9f58
  10. Win7 games on Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 games on Win10: A while ago I installed Win7 games on Win10 using msgames_win8_x64.msi as mentioned in thread Hearts and Solitaire Games in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I wondered if this was legal but did it anyway. Installing the TH2 update removed the games. I installed them again, but...