Windows 10: Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap

Discus and support Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate (bought on eBay from retailer back then) and used my MS account the last year from begin with so the license... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tarsonis123, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap

Hello,

I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate (bought on eBay from retailer back then) and used my MS account the last year from begin with so the license was linked to it. After my mainboard died last week I had to make a move. It was around 8 years old and it's not avaible anymore. So I decide to use this bad luck to update to newer generation chips as I always did. But despite I had linked the digital win10 license to my account and informed myself that the reactivation will work. It doesn't. The hole internet as also on here on mass says it should work but it doesn't.

What happend

- I swapped mainboard, cpu and ram. Rest is the same. I didn't reinstall win 10! I didnt have any problems, drivers and performance is right. I have a massiv amount of plug-ins that would need to be reactivate. I can't afford a complete new OS install timewise.

- on activation troubleshooting, choosed "changed hardware", selected my workstation and clicked activate I get the response

"activation not possible. Please try again later"

- deleted my old mainboard workstation on the Microsoft account in the devices tab

- I tried it several days now and gave up and called the support. I needed to talk to three women. One more unfriendly and unpolitle than the next one. All told me I have no rights to reuse the license because of the free MS upgrade program doesn't provide the rights to do so and I must buy a new license. As I told that I have written evidence that their statement is wrong they just hang up. Human friendly support Microsoft. But really I don't care... What I care about is not throwing money out of the window where there is no need

- so despite what they told I researched further and came to the idea to test it with a VirtualMachine. I used my Win7 image and upgraded with my Win7 Pro license to Win 10 and what a surprise I was activated with the new mainboard and cpu components in the VM!!

So I really don't understand why the new components work with VM and the activation servers but my real system doesn't?

Is here any polite support person that is helpful to clear this up. If it's not possible than it's unfortunate but I will then buy a new license. Just want to be clear what's going on.

:)

tarsonis123, Jan 29, 2019
  2. evilebob Win User

Windows 10 Digital license new mobo?

So by a program I'm enrolled in I was able to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 which says it has a digital license.

From Googling around I understand the digital license is sort of a hardware signature so what happens when I replace my mobo/cpu/ram?

Per other threads windows 10 is usually able to handle such an extensive hardware swap, but what happens with the digital license... would there be any issues on reactivating?

Thanks,

Bob

evilebob, Jan 29, 2019
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jan 29, 2019
  4. Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap

Win10 License after Mobo Upgrade ?

I recently upgraded my mobo and in preparation got a digital Win10 license connected to my MS account as suggested here: How to Reactivate Windows 10 After Changing Hardware

I simply hooked my old SSD to the new mobo and Win10 took a little extra time to boot and was up and running -- not like the bad old days Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap :) However, when I tried to activate Win10 using the digital license per the above it didn't work - there was no license for this type of device, which I assumed meant a PC. So I chatted with a MS tech and he kindly connected to my machine and activated it for me. I also went to my MS account and got a digital license for the new mobo.

However, a couple days later I noticed that I now have a product ID that ends in -AAOEM I assume this means it is an OEM license which cannot be transferred if I replace the mobo again.

I originally purchased XP in 2005 when I assembled my first computer. I took advantage of the inexpensive Win8 Upgrade to purchase Win8 Pro which became Win8.1 and then Win10 Pro, all without further payment to MS.

I assumed that because I started by purchasing XP that I had a retail license and that this retail license would propagate through all of these upgrades, allowing me to change mobo's whenever I chose. In thinking more about it, I'm wondering whether the cheap upgrade to Win8 converted my license to OEM and this tech did me a favor by allowing the mobo change. Or, should he have made the license retail?

Bottom line is I think I now have an OEM license and don't understand whether it should be a retail license or I'm a cheapskate and should just buy a new Win10 Retail license when I next change mobo's.

GadgetBuilder, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap

1. Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap - Similar Threads - Activation working digital

2. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO: How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-activation-windows-after-swapping-mobo/b0d620a3-a9a0-47ec-9079-ce06875ad54b
  3. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO: How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-activation-windows-after-swapping-mobo/b0d620a3-a9a0-47ec-9079-ce06875ad54b
  4. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Digital License Activation

Digital License Activation: I purchased a Digital License of Windows 11 Pro and recently reset my PC while keeping the files but now that I’ve finish setting up my computer, it says I need to activate Windows. Someone help please....
  6. WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change: I have a WIN10 digital license. I run WIN11 Pro as a member of the Insider Program. After 6 years I built a new machine because my old PC processor was not WIN11 compatible. The build went fine, installed WIN10, activated no problem, and upgraded to WIN11 Pro. I started...
  7. WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change

WIN10 Digital License will not Activate after MOBO change: I have a WIN10 digital license. I run WIN11 Pro as a member of the Insider Program. After 6 years I built a new machine because my old PC processor was not WIN11 compatible. The build went fine, installed WIN10, activated no problem, and upgraded to WIN11 Pro. I started...
  8. Digital license swap

Digital license swap: Hi, I have two PC's running Win 10, my old PC has Win 10 Pro and my new one has Win 10 Home. Is there any way I can swap the licenses so my new PC has Win 10 Pro and my old has Win 10 Home?...
  9. HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License): Hey guys! I’m in the process of upgrading/changing my parts. Switching from Intel to a Ryzen 7 3700x and B550 ROG -F Strix Gaming. I will also be switching boot priority to the 1 Tb SSD. I currently have a 1 Tb HDD that I want to transfer files over to the SSD. I also have an...
  10. Swapping Editions with Digital Licenses

Swapping Editions with Digital Licenses: I currently have two devices running Windows 10. One uses the Home edition, and the other has Pro. I would like to swap the editions around. I originally received the product keys with the devices, but they are reasonably old (Originally Windows 7). I no longer have the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wikndows digital licnese not working

2. hp elitebook 1030 win 10 activation fail after motherboard swap

3. ms digital license not working