Windows 10: Activation of Win 10 pro transfer to a VM on a different computer.

Discus and support Activation of Win 10 pro transfer to a VM on a different computer. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; J have just transferred the full contents including Win10 pro with a a valid product key from an old desktop which is being scrapped to a VM running on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by docandy, Apr 4, 2021.

1. docandy Win User

Activation of Win 10 pro transfer to a VM on a different computer.

J have just transferred the full contents including Win10 pro with a a valid product key from an old desktop which is being scrapped to a VM running on an external drive on a new iMac computer using Parallels. The transfer was successful and all runs exactly as I want except the product key is not accepted. I have done the troubleshooting and it noted a hardware change but there is no advice.

:)

docandy, Apr 4, 2021

2. Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM

I'm not seeing this question answered, or anything like it, so here goes: some years ago, I took advantage of the free upgrade from 7 to 10 Home. I then purchased a license to upgrade 10 Home to 10 Pro. A few months back, this machine was lost when the system
    drive failed catastrophically. However, I recently found that I had made a VM image of it (which I'd forgotten about), and I can bring it up under VirtualBox to recover some things that were otherwise lost. This is great, but...Win 10 Pro won't activate. Things
    I've tried that failed:

(1) Using the license on the outside of the computer - this is presumably the original Win 7 license and it doesn't work, no surprise.

(2) Using the Activation Troubleshooter and telling it "I recently changed hardware" - this says it can't be activated. Oddly, though, when I look at my Microsoft account, it shows the VM as running Win10 Pro and it says "No problems detected." You would
    think the lack of activation would show up there but apparently not.

(3) Calling support and getting transferred and then transferred again and finally giving up after 20 minute on hold and an hour overall.

(4) Running "SLUI 4" from Powershell - it returns a blank.

(5) Poking around the registry and finding that there are keys there for both DigitalProductId and DigitalProductId4.

I'm pretty much out of ideas for things to try. Maybe it's just the case that a VM is never going to be considered a valid instance for purposes of the old license, but it doesn't seem like I should have to pay again considering that I bought the 10 Home
    to 10 Pro upgrade. And that reminds me of another problem, that purchase was made so long ago that it no longer appears in the list of purchases under my Microsoft account. If it did, presumably the Win10 Pro digital key would be available there, but no such
    luck.

CaryZeitlin, Apr 4, 2021
  3. MMO77 Win User
    Windows 10 VM activation

Hi,

I am trying to setup two Windows 10 vms for test purposes on Ovirt virtualization cluster. (Windows 10 Pro with MAK key from visual studio (MSDN) subscription).

Activation of the first vm encountered no problem, but activation of the second one failed. I have tried to setup second vm by all available means (by cloning from the first one with or without sysprep, from activated state or from clean installed snapshot,
    by installing second vm from scratch, etc.). All are with the same results: The last product key you entered XXXXX can't be used on this copy of Windows (0xC0EA0003).

Is it possible to have several Win 10 vms on the same hypervisor, activated with MAK key?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

MMO77, Apr 4, 2021
  4. Vee Insom Win User

Upgrade win 10 home to win 10 pro, keep win 10 home activation key for VM?

My current OS is Win 10 home, upgraded from win 8.1. It is an OEM installation.

I have the activation key saved in a safe place.

I also have a vmware vm running the same OS (win 10 home) with the same

activation key (yes, I know that won't work for the long term as the vm or

guest OS requires a new activation key).

I want to upgrade the host OS to win 10 pro (via the Settings/Update &

Security/Activation/Go to Store button, while still being able to use the

guest OS (win 10 home) and original activation key. Is this possible?

My fear is the original activation key for win 10 home will be nullified.

End result, win 10 pro as host OS, win 10 home as guest OS, TWO LEGAL keys.

Note: I already created a win 10 home ISO and USB drive using the

MediaCreationToolx64.

Thanks for your time.

Vee Insom, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Activation of Win 10 pro transfer to a VM on a different computer. - Similar Threads - Activation pro transfer

2. Transfer a Win 10 Pro licence to Win 11 on a virtual computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer a Win 10 Pro licence to Win 11 on a virtual computer: I have Windows 10 Pro licence retail, not OEM on an old computer that does not meet requirements for upgrade to Win 11. The licence is linked to my Microsoft account.I plan to discard the old computer and use the licence for a new virtual Windows machine. I want to utilize a...
  3. Transfer a Win 10 Pro licence to Win 11 on a virtual computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer a Win 10 Pro licence to Win 11 on a virtual computer: I have Windows 10 Pro licence retail, not OEM on an old computer that does not meet requirements for upgrade to Win 11. The licence is linked to my Microsoft account.I plan to discard the old computer and use the licence for a new virtual Windows machine. I want to utilize a...
  4. Transferring a Win 10 Pro License to a new computer.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring a Win 10 Pro License to a new computer.: Just got a new i710700 computer to do audio and video work. This one came with Windows 10 home pre-installed. My old computer will be used only for office stuff now and it has Win10 pro on it. Can I transfer the pro license to the new computer and just have win 10 home on...
  5. Transferring to different computer- Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Transferring to different computer- Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro: After getting a new PC for my wife, I plan on giving the older one to a relative. She is currently using a beat up laptop to work from home. My plan is to use Macrium Reflect to transfer the system from the laptop to the PC, then using Redeploy to get the PC up and running....
  6. Transfer Win 10 Pro upgrade to New Computer with Win 10 Home

Transfer Win 10 Pro upgrade to New Computer with Win 10 Home: I have purchased a new computer with Win 10 Home. I have an old computer which was upgraded from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro. It is activated digitally. I want to down grade the old computer to Win 10 Home and upgrade the new one from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro. The cost of...
  7. Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM

Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM: I'm not seeing this question answered, or anything like it, so here goes: some years ago, I took advantage of the free upgrade from 7 to 10 Home. I then purchased a license to upgrade 10 Home to 10 Pro. A few months back, this machine was lost when the system drive failed...
  8. Win 10 Pro file history - different behavior on different computers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Pro file history - different behavior on different computers: On my little home network there is one computer designated for backup ("B") and two computers ("R" and "A") with frequently changing data to backup. All computers run Win 10 Pro. I am particularly interested in having Office 365 Outlook pst files backed up. From R, the pst...
  9. Move Activated Windows 10 from Parallels VM to different computer

Move Activated Windows 10 from Parallels VM to different computer: Hi, I have an activated W10 install in Parallels VM on my Macbook Pro. I'd like to remove the VM and use the license on another computer. If it matters, the VM was originally a Windows 7 install, and I did the in-place W10 upgrade. Any secret to doing this? Thanks! 110413
  10. How do I transfer Win7 Pro to different computer running Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I transfer Win7 Pro to different computer running Win 10?: I have purchased a new computer that came with Windows 8.1. I upgraded the new computer to Windows 10. My old computer has Windows 7 professional. I understand that if the existing OS is 7 pro that your windows 10 will be upgraded to the professional version of 10. Given...