Windows 10: Activation of Windows on a Pre-owned device

Discus and support Activation of Windows on a Pre-owned device in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello there beautiful people. I am having a bit of a problem. I bought a laptop from my trusty local pawnshop and when I brought it home it wants me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BlindZombieFace, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Activation of Windows on a Pre-owned device

Hello there beautiful people. I am having a bit of a problem. I bought a laptop from my trusty local pawnshop and when I brought it home it wants me to activate my windows os.... why and how on a preowned device. Where do I get the key or do I have to buy a new system?

:)

BlindZombieFace, Nov 17, 2018

2. BitLocker...on a pre-owned device (W10 Pro)

I recently bought a pre-owned HP ProBook 430 G1. The previous owner told me he reset the device, and at the time I bought it, it was running the initial free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (I presume upgraded from W8.1). It is now running W10 Pro, build1611 Anniversary
    Edition.

I want to activate BitLocker, but before I turn it on I need to be certain there will be no negative consequences...being locked out of the OS is not a good thing!

My understanding is that to access and operate a BitLocker encrypted drive, a password or recovery key is required...without at least one of these, the drive is essentially impenetrable, rendering all data lost.

I do not know whether the previous owner(s) used BitLocker...if they did, I do not know what their password and recovery key details were.

My questions:

• If the previous owner(s) had activated BitLocker (establishing a password and recovery key), and at some subsequent point they turned BitLocker off prior to my buying the device, what happens if I click “Turn on BitLocker”.....

• will I be locked out of the system (no password or recovery key)?, or;

• does the turning off of the BitLocker function result in all previous password and recovery key data being deleted, thus enabling me to establish new details?

Thank you in advance for all advice on this subject.

idunnonuthin, Nov 17, 2018
  3. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Nov 17, 2018
  4. Activation of Windows on a Pre-owned device

Vista Pre-SP1 vs. Vista SP1

I've been Windows Updating for two straight days and I finally saw SP1. If you want to troubleshoot it, follow these steps:

• Show hidden updates
    • Manually install any failed updates (google the KB_____ and install from the windows site)
    • Make sure everything in Device Manager is good to go
    I had to do step two for like 4 or 5 updates to be able to see SP1.

Any other benchmarks you guys want to see? I might try PCMark05 (I think it works on Vista).

DanishDevil, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

Activation of Windows on a Pre-owned device

1. Activation of Windows on a Pre-owned device - Similar Threads - Activation Pre owned

2. Pre-owned desktop showing "windows license will expire soon"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pre-owned desktop showing "windows license will expire soon": Hi My couldn't get hold of the previous owner, I took a screen shot of Windows script host, can anyone tell me what to do to fix this? This is for Windows 11 Pro.ThanksPei...
  3. Pre-owned desktop showing "windows license will expire soon"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pre-owned desktop showing "windows license will expire soon": Hi My couldn't get hold of the previous owner, I took a screen shot of Windows script host, can anyone tell me what to do to fix this? This is for Windows 11 Pro.ThanksPei...
  4. Pre-installed office activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Pre-installed office activation: I bought a laptop with a pre-installed office 2009. I did system format after some months and after that I was not able to activate the pre-installed office. I login using the same email I'd I used before format. But this time in my account that service was not listed!! I...
  5. No Bootable Device Pre-Fix

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Bootable Device Pre-Fix: Hello. This is Rosie. I had a problem of No Bootable Device after I updated my PC and my updates got removed. It happened in UEFI so I changed my boot option to Legacy. Now I am trying to update it again and when it happens again, Please tell me What should I do....
  6. Pre owned windows 10 has bitlocker on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pre owned windows 10 has bitlocker on: Hi there, i have bought a lenovo p51s with windows 10 installed on it. It has a bitlocker encryption on and the seller says he doesnt know about the key. I have very important data in it. Please guide what to do to get it unlock....
  7. pre installed windows 10 activation

pre installed windows 10 activation: I have been facing a problem regarding windows 10 activation i haven't got any activation key with my laptop as it has pre installed microsoft windows 10 home and office, when i open any windows app like word and after going in settings there always comming a popup that...
  8. Activate a pre-installed Windows 10

Activate a pre-installed Windows 10: Hello, I have bought a new laptop Acer Aspire 5, which running by Windows 10 S. When I open the settings page it shows the following message; YOU NEED TO ACTIVATE WINDOWS BEFORE YOU CAN PERSONLISE YOUR PC. How I can find the activation key? Thank you very much for...
  9. Unable to activate windows 10 on my own device

Unable to activate windows 10 on my own device: Hi guys, I upgraded to Windows 10 from my Windows 8 PC and all of a sudden I am unable to activate my license. Whenever I get a company laptop I login with the same ID for using Office365 and somehow in that laptop the license is present. Just in my original laptop, I am...
  10. Windows 10 pre-installed on new device but Windows not activated

Windows 10 pre-installed on new device but Windows not activated: I purchased a Surface Pro approximately 8 weeks ago direct from Microsoft. Just under 2 weeks ago my device got stuck in a Surface UEFI screen loop. I sent the device back to Microsoft and yesterday I received a new (possibly refurbished) device through the post. I have...