Windows 10: Activation of Windows10 after Reset - Originally upgraded from 8.1

Discus and support Activation of Windows10 after Reset - Originally upgraded from 8.1 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I chose to reset my PC. Once it was complete I'm told that windows won't activate. I have the original Win 8.1 product key, but that doesn't work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CatherineMitchell2, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Activation of Windows10 after Reset - Originally upgraded from 8.1

I chose to reset my PC. Once it was complete I'm told that windows won't activate. I have the original Win 8.1 product key, but that doesn't work.

I've tried troubleshooting with no success

Any suggestions?

:)

CatherineMitchell2, Dec 24, 2018

2. Reset Computer (Originally Windows 8 Upgraded to Windows 10)

I have an ASUS V500C that originally came with Windows 8 that I upgraded to Windows 10 many moons ago. I want to reset the computer and give it to my son. If I reset the computer will it load up Windows 8 or Windows 10? I would like it to be in Windows
    10 in final form. I don't have any original disks or files for the computer. Any advice before I start or a link to step by step instructions that I can print out in advance would be welcomed.

Carexsedge, Dec 24, 2018
  3. P4-630 Win User
    How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, Dec 24, 2018
  4. Tankachoo Win User

Activation of Windows10 after Reset - Originally upgraded from 8.1

Factory Reset Windows10: There was a problem resetting your PC FIX

How to Factory Reset Windows10 or upgraded to Windows10 from Windows7 or 8.
    This is also a FIX for the ERROR: There was a problem resetting your PC.
    This fix is only for Legit Authorized Copies of Windows 7, 8, or 10.

Hey all, I upgraded to Win10 from Win8.1 when it was released for free upgrades in 2015. It is now 2016 and I wanted to Factory Reset my PC so I can start fresh again. I attempted to do it from Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Reset this PC as suggested by Microsoft but I received and error saying "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made." After searching the web I found many different fixes but they all seems so involved. Making a boot flash drive or burning a DVD and use their software... There is an awesome tutorial on this forum called Windows 10 Clean Install but I like to KISS when I can (Keep It Simple Stupid) so I decided to check with Microsoft.com before I started that process.

THE SIMPLE FIX I FOUND THAT WORKED FOR ME:
    Go to: Windows 10
    Click the "Upgrade Now" button.
    Follow the prompts and you're good to go.
    Works with Windows 7, 8 and 10. Simple enough for me Activation of Windows10 after Reset - Originally upgraded from 8.1 :)

I wasn't able to find this simple suggestion when searching the web so I felt I should post it in hopes it helps someone too Activation of Windows10 after Reset - Originally upgraded from 8.1 :)

-

Tankachoo, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Activation of Windows10 after Reset - Originally upgraded from 8.1

1. Activation of Windows10 after Reset - Originally upgraded from 8.1 - Similar Threads - Activation Windows10 Reset

2. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  3. Factory reset after upgrading to Windows 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory reset after upgrading to Windows 8: I believe the pc I'm using started with Windows 7 because it has a sticker on it and is now on Windows 8 pro according to what it says on the bottom right of the screen. I'm wondering if I need the Windows 7 installation media to factory reset it? I've downloaded the windows...
  4. Factory reset after upgrading to Windows 8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Factory reset after upgrading to Windows 8: I believe the pc I'm using started with Windows 7 because it has a sticker on it and is now on Windows 8 pro according to what it says on the bottom right of the screen. I'm wondering if I need the Windows 7 installation media to factory reset it? I've downloaded the windows...
  5. Upgrading from Windows7 to Windows10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Windows7 to Windows10: Have very basic knowledge, though made this PC in 2010. Having failed twice to upgrade to Win10 through Media Creation Tool 21H, wherein I choose to upgrade the existing Win7 OS.and got failure message "......the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation"Hence...
  6. Windows10- upgrade and Activation on windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10- upgrade and Activation on windows 7: Hi, I have recently purchased a windows10-Pro from Amazon. its an OEM product. Not sure, how to install this. Can someone help? Windows7 system is being used and have no issues, but unfortunately could not upgrade to windows10 previously. Thanks...
  7. original win 8 but after upgrade I lost my original win 8 version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    original win 8 but after upgrade I lost my original win 8 version: I bought an ASUS notebook around 2013 - 2014 with build in windows 8 inside. few months after windows give an update to windows 8.1. I just follow the instruction and since the update, my windows recognized as not activated windows. Till now 2019 after update my windows to...
  8. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  9. Can't find Original Product Key - Upgraded from 7/8 to 10

Can't find Original Product Key - Upgraded from 7/8 to 10: So basically I bought windows 7 or 8 (can't even remember) and I used my university email back then. Since then I graduated and I have no longer access to my old E-Mail account and the receipt from Microsoft. Since then I upgraded to 10 and a few days ago I bought a new PC....
  10. Activation reset January 1

Activation reset January 1: I have a Office 365 subscription starting last october. Account is paid but after January 1 all my office app show as not activated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-reset-january-1/79b75ed2-91b7-4c2b-86a6-bff217993bbb"