Windows 10: Activation on New Hardware

Discus and support Activation on New Hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a new motherboard bundle being delivered tomorrow and have a quick question re Win 10 activation. My current license is linked to my MS account,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Teflon, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Teflon Win User

Activation on New Hardware

I have a new motherboard bundle being delivered tomorrow and have a quick question re Win 10 activation. My current license is linked to my MS account, and I understand that I should be able to use the new "activation troubleshoot" option in settings to get things working with my new hardware. So far so good. *Smile

Anyhow, some while back, I followed a guide (on this site, I think) that allowed me to set Win 10 to automatically log me into my MS account when booting into Windows, so no need to manually enter password. My question is, is this likey to cause issues following the hardware change? Would I be better off logging into a local account before starting the change over?

Any/all thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

Cliff

:)

Teflon, Dec 2, 2016
  2. John Ado Win User

Can't activate on new "hardware".

Hi DirkXZ,

If the license was purchased from Microsoft Store, you will really receive a digital license. You will only get a product key if you purchased it from an authorized retailer. Digital license is more convenient as you won't need to have the number with you
    to activate the license. It's it tied up on your Microsoft account. To activate your Windows, make sure that you will use your Microsoft account as the administrator account on your device.

If this is what you've been doing, can you tell us the exact error message? Also, which VM are you using? Can you try with Bootcamp one more time and check if the heating issue persists? If so, you might have to report this issue on Apple. For initial troubleshooting,
    review these articles:

We look forward to your response.

John Ado, Dec 2, 2016
  3. DirkXZ Win User
    Can't activate on new "hardware".

I recently purchased windows 10 pro full retail with my Microsoft account. Only received a digital license.

Installed it on a Bootcamp partition and it activated. This however caused problems with overheating and such so I decided to load it on a VM instead but can't get the activation working. The bootcamp partition is completely gone now and the troubleshooter
    doesn't work and advises me back too the store to purchase windows 10 pro even after selecting the hardware change.

I paid R4300.00 ZAR for windows 10 pro and specifically full retail so I'll never have to struggle with this but have been forwarded around 5 people now when contacting support each time waiting about 20 minutes on the phone.

I Have a order number and a reference number which I was meant to be the last person I needed to talk too before the call cut.

Please Help as no one seems to do a task that took 5 minutes in the past when we we're using product keys.

DirkXZ, Dec 2, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

lifetec, Dec 2, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    DO NOT change to a local account - you will lose the licence link to MS account and be unable to transfer digital licence.

cereberus, Dec 2, 2016
  6. Teflon Win User
    Thanks guys. The motherboard bundle arrived early this morning whilst I was still in the shower!! All sorted now though, and up and running. *Biggrin

Interesting. In the event, I did change to a local account (before I saw your posting). When I tried to use the activation trouble shooter, it failed, telling me that the MS servers were busy and try again later. I "Googled" the error message and found it to be a fairly common error, with most users contacting MS support for resolution. One site, however, detailed the solution that MS supposedly use, which involved running the command "SLUI 3" or similar and entering some registration details burried deep in Win 10. The end result is my Win 10 is once again activated to my MS account, so happy days.

Cheers,

Cliff

Teflon, Dec 2, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Can you provide link?

cereberus, Dec 4, 2016
  8. Teflon Win User

Sorry, no link. I didn't save it and can't remember the precise words used in my original search (I cut and pasted the error message into Google).

In essence, the work around involved downloading and running "Belarc Security Advisor". This returns a whole mass of info about your PC and Win 10 install, including the original activation key.

The next step is to run the command "SLUI 3" which opens up the windows activation screen and then allows you to re-enter the original key. Providing the MS Account info all matches up (i.e you'r using the same MS account that the original ID was linked to), then Windows is re-activated. I would guess that all it is doing is re-linking the code with the MS account and a new hardware ID

Cliff

Teflon, Dec 4, 2016
  9. CmmTch Win User
    I had trouble activating after a MB replacement too, the quote below is me, post #6 in this thread. https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...questions.html
    The link is to a Microsoft support page within that post.

CmmTch, Dec 7, 2016
  10. Teflon Win User
    Sounds like the same solution. In hindsight, instead of downloading and running Belarc, I could have just read the serial number from the side of the case. Doh!!

Cliff

Teflon, Dec 7, 2016
  11. CmmTch Win User
    We know about hindsight, it's always 20/20 *chuckle

My W10 1511 install was activated with a "digital entitlement" which supposedly is the same thing as a digital license. After chatting with MS "Donna" she said sometimes things fall through the cracks, and had me do the SLUI 3 thing with the Win7 product key I upgraded from.

My new AU 1607 install was immediately activated with a digital license.

CmmTch, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Activation on New Hardware - Similar Threads - Activation Hardware

2. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working: Recently had to change my MB after a surge took the previous one out. After change I can no longer activate me copy of windows and get the code 0xC004F211 which confirmed it was a hardware change issue. I've tried the trouble shooter, wasn't able to activate and tells me to...
  3. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working: Recently had to change my MB after a surge took the previous one out. After change I can no longer activate me copy of windows and get the code 0xC004F211 which confirmed it was a hardware change issue. I've tried the trouble shooter, wasn't able to activate and tells me to...
  4. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. hardware upgrade - windows activation not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hardware upgrade - windows activation not working: I did post this previously but accidentally using the wrong Microsoft account, but I've added more info based on answers thereI've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find...
  6. hardware upgrade - windows activation not working

hardware upgrade - windows activation not working: I did post this previously but accidentally using the wrong Microsoft account, but I've added more info based on answers thereI've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find...
  7. Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change: In 2019 I upgraded from an OEM version disc which I purchased from a PV supplier of Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. A new product key was issued by Microsoft and activated when I upgraded, replacing the original Windows 7 product key. I have recently upgraded my PC hardware...
  8. Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change: In 2019 I upgraded from an OEM version disc which I purchased from a PV supplier of Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. A new product key was issued by Microsoft and activated when I upgraded, replacing the original Windows 7 product key. I have recently upgraded my PC hardware...
  9. Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

10. Unable to activate Windows 10 after hardware changes

Unable to activate Windows 10 after hardware changes: Hey guys,I need help, I've tried trouble shooter, and virtual helper, gotten no progress. I've upgraded my hardware with a new motherboard etc, but I'm unable to activate my windows 10.I originally bought windows 7, and upgraded it with the free upgrade to win 10 long ago. I...