Windows 10: Activation problem after hard disk replacement

Discus and support Activation problem after hard disk replacement in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I bought a Dell laptop 5 years back with windows 8.1 pre-loaded. After some time it was upgraded to Windows 10 without any challenge. Recently the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RajeshMahajan1, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Activation problem after hard disk replacement

I bought a Dell laptop 5 years back with windows 8.1 pre-loaded. After some time it was upgraded to Windows 10 without any challenge.

Recently the hard disc crashed and it had to be replaced. The technician retrieved the embedded Windows 8.1 activation key through Powershell, installed windows 8.1 and then successfully activated it. However as per him the option to upgrade to Windows 10 had been withdrawn by Microsoft; so all he could do was to downloaded Windows 10 and successfully install it.

Since then i have tried to activate my Windows 10 using the same key but it does not work, it says "Something prevents us from communicating. . ..... . .Error Code: 0x87E10BCF". Troubleshooting doesn't work. My internet bandwidth is anything from 30 - 80 MBPS so I don't think that may be the cause. Microsoft phone support doesn't understand my pronunciation.

Please help.

:)

RajeshMahajan1, Jul 14, 2020

2. Windows 10 Enterprise fails to re-activate after hard disk replacement

The system is a laptop where the single hard disk failed and was replaced. Unfortunately, there was no recent, viable backup of the hard disk that could be used to restore it.

A successful clean install was made from en-gb_windows_10_business_edition_version_1803_update_jul_2018_x64_dvd_12613160.iso.

The first login used my Microsoft Work or School account but I was unable to activate it from that account.

I then created a user with my Microsoft Account (which uses the same email address) but was unable to activate it from that account either.

The laptop has a firmware-embedded activation key. It appears in the devices list for my Microsoft Account and also appears in the devices list in the Azure Active Directory which we receive as part of Office 365.

It is a commodity laptop that was supplied with Windows Home installed; upgraded to Windows Pro using Get Genuine; and upgraded to Windows Enterprise with an OS upgrade using a product key. It was regularly updated before the hard disk failure.

I had anticipated that re-activation after the hard disk replacement should have been simple!

Any pointers to where I might be going wrong? Or suggestions as to how to diagnose this? I'm a volunteer systems administrator for a Museum (non-profit / charity) and this is outside my comfort zone.

JohnConnett, Jul 14, 2020
  3. Windows activation, problem anticipation...

I bought a hard-disk to replace the faulty one in my Pentium 4 rig, which has OEM XP Home.

Now the last time I did a clean XP install I had to call MS and they gave me automated numbers to input to re-activate.

Just in case, that this time I have to speak to a human, will they be accepting to re-activate if I tell them (the truth) that I have changed the hard disk?

Or would you suggest something else? *Oh Well Activation problem after hard disk replacement :eek:hwell:

Thank you.

Black Panther, Jul 14, 2020
  4. Activation problem after hard disk replacement

Windows 10 activation after replacing hard disk

Hi,

I have recently just replaced my hard disk suffering from hardware failure on my Windows 10 laptop with a Seagate Firecuda SSHD. I had a friend who offered to reinstall windows for me on my clean SSHD but only to find out that the copy of windows that he
    had install for me was pirated.

1. My windows product ID and key are different from before I replaced my hard disk.

2. How do I tell if this is the pirated and cracked windows or genuinely activated copy?

3. Is there a way for me to retrieve or have Microsoft reactivate my windows license? Or is it done automatically by Microsoft?

4. In "Systems" and "Activation", it does say my windows is activated but how can I know if it is genuine and not a cracked copy?

Thank you guys for your help, appreciate it.

Eric Isaiah, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

Activation problem after hard disk replacement

1. Activation problem after hard disk replacement - Similar Threads - Activation problem hard

2. windows activation after hard disk change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows activation after hard disk change: Hi there, I am trying to change expand my Hard disk space so I got a new SSD I tried installing windows 11 pro and activate it through my Microsoft store account It's not activating it so I am back to my old hard disk. if anyone can help with issues, I really appreciate...
  3. windows activation after hard disk change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows activation after hard disk change: Hi there, I am trying to change expand my Hard disk space so I got a new SSD I tried installing windows 11 pro and activate it through my Microsoft store account It's not activating it so I am back to my old hard disk. if anyone can help with issues, I really appreciate...
  4. Replacing New Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing New Hard Disk: Hello,If I restore a backup image of the system (which contains windows 10 and office) to a brand new disk (same computer), do I have to re-license /re-validate the windows and office ?Answers will be appreciated.ThanksWidows 10, 20H2 x64, 19042.1165 183706
  5. Microsoft activation after hard disk crash

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft activation after hard disk crash: So I have had this laptop for almost 4 years now. The other day it crashed and I could not open it again, so I had it checked and I found out that my hard disk had crashed. So I replaced it with a new hard disk and I realized I never connected my digital license to my...
  6. Boot problem after replacing system disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot problem after replacing system disk: I've just upgraded the system disk on my main PC from a 1TB SSD to a 2TB one. Everything was working fine beforehand, but now the PC will only boot if I go into the BIOS boot menu and select the new SSD to boot from. Both SSDs are Samsung, so I used the Samsung Data...
  7. Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement

Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement: I had upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. However, my hard disk crashed and my service provider re installed window 7 after installing new hard disk. Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 and windows will identify earlier activation if its not based on hard disk....
  8. Activation after replacing hard drive

Activation after replacing hard drive: Hi! I will be replacing my faulty hard drive with an SSD next week. I am concerned about how reactivation works for this. Is it automatic/free? I have an HP laptop with OEM activation. I have reinstalled Windows before, but never a clean installation on a brand new drive....
  9. Windows activation after hard drive replacement

Windows activation after hard drive replacement: Hello, I had to replace a faulty hard drive on my HP laptop that was shipped with OEM windows 8 home version which was later upgraded to windows 10. After reinstalling the windows home, it is now asking to activate windows fails to get activated automatically. I am able to...
  10. activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement: How do I activate Windows 10 after replacing my hard drive. I tried windows key and X as suggested and find "no administrative" space to fill in. I have my old windows xp disc with a number on it....