Windows 10: Activation problems After Creators fall Update

Discus and support Activation problems After Creators fall Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a dual boot home built system with current parts, which has two separate bootable SSD disks, each containing separate retail copies copies if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bbersted, Oct 18, 2017.

1. bbersted Win User

Activation problems After Creators fall Update

I have a dual boot home built system with current parts, which has two separate bootable SSD disks, each containing separate retail copies copies if Windows 10 (one Pro x64 and the other home x386). The reason for the two copies of windows is that the 32 bit allows for older programs to still work.This has worked flawlessly ( both showing activtion) with all windows 10 updates to this point. Updating both to the fall creators update went well, with one major exception, namely the pro version activated, but not the home version. The home version says “were unable reach windows activtion servers”. Using the activation troubleshooter give the message that “we found Pro digital license for this device” . It appears that the creators fall update links to only one windows registered and formally activated copy of windows so only one one version of windows can be activated. This seems to be a monumental change, since previously MS was primarily interested in pirates not installing a single windows copy on multiple computers and activtion. This change seems unfair to those of us have full retail copies and should not need a new computer for each version.

:)

bbersted, Oct 18, 2017

2. Windows Update

Can I update my Win 10 enterprise (Creators) to Fall Creators through AIO fall creators ISO file? I don't know my product key of my windows but i have an activated windows, So i simply want to update that to Fall Creators Win 10 with the same activation
    through AIO iso.

Ovalwindow, Oct 18, 2017
  3. win 10 anniversary not scrolling inactive window if active window is excel 2003

Is it just me or is this problem still with us even after the Creators update and the Fall Creators update ?

Canarytops, Oct 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You can check the licensing terms here:
    Microsoft License Terms

See what you can find about activating two copies of Windows..

dalchina, Oct 18, 2017
  5. I have multiple PC's with multiple Digital Licenses. I can Run Home or Pro etc no problem. I can install Home and upgrade to Pro with a product key change. PC just activates with its Pro DL. I can go from Pro to Education and back to Pro with just a product key change and that PC stays activated. Just did this a day ago on the new 1709 release. I'm not dual booting though. I'm only ever running the one Edition on that hardware. I've always suspected that the last Edition logged into on that PC is the one Linked to your account.
    Boot up to the Home install, open an administrator command prompt and run slmgr /ato and see what happens.

alphanumeric, Oct 18, 2017
  6. bbersted Win User
    Thanks alphanumberic for the suggestion. The followi ng error message resulted.
    error 0x803F001 on a computer running microsoft windows no-core editiion. Do not know what this means, but I think something was changed by MS, since it worked for every other upgrade to date for my two copies of of windows 10.*Sad

bbersted, Oct 18, 2017
  7. I have to admit to not being an expert on what that command does. All I know is its fixed activation issues for me in the past. I think it more for KMS MAK activation. I have had issues with MAK keys and it fixed it. Other members have run it on Retail setups and it worked though.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx
    I'm not sure why your having your issue. If it was me, I'd just reinstall Home. Or wait and see if anybody more knowledgeable than me has any ideas. Maybe something has changed with how Digital Licenses are handled? If so I haven't stumbled apon it yet.

alphanumeric, Oct 19, 2017
  8. hawkman Win User

Hi bbersted,

In the good old days, W7,
    That error code and the non core edition message meant that the Licencing store was corrupt.

standard fix was
    slmgr /rilc
    (re-install system license files)

I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK ON W10.

Roy

hawkman, Oct 19, 2017
  9. Samuria Win User
    It could be just the volume of activations if you think of millions of pc getting the update it may overload the system

Samuria, Oct 19, 2017
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    Sometimes "unable to reach Windows activation servers" means just that - the servers are busy, and that it is necessary for you to wait for them to be able to check your device against the record of digital license allocation.

According to Kari, both digital licences are stored under a single entry shown on the Microsoft account Devices page - see his video at about 3:10

Fafhrd, Oct 19, 2017
  11. bbersted Win User
    Tried many times to activate with no luck. When I go the activation troubleshooter I get the following message.
    " We cannot activate windows on this device as the previous version of windows was not activated prior to upgrading
    to windows 10". Go the store to buy genuine windows (0x803f001)". I can absolutely guarantee that the both instances were activated before the most recent update. It seems that MS has decided with this update that the activation process now only associates one instance of Windows 10 with the device (my dual boot compute) even though previously both retail installations were judged to be genuine and were activated on the same computer (no hardware changes). I tried to reinstall the the version that said it could not be avctivated with the same negative result.
    Very frustrating*Sad

bbersted, Oct 19, 2017
  12. How was the 10 Home install originally activated? Upgrade from Windows 7 or 8? Or Retail Windows 10 key? And what did you do when prompted to enter a product code on the last install? If you skipped entering your key, go to the activation screen, click change product key and enter your original Windows 7, 8 or 10 key and see what happens. It sounds like your DL for Home got lost on the activation server.

13. Activation problems After Creators fall Update

If I go there, what is shown there is the currently installed and activated Edition on that Device. The last one I logged onto with my Microsoft ID. If I clean install a different Edition and log in with a local account it doesn't update. I still get a DL, it just isn't linked to my Microsoft Account. Its my belief this has nothing to do with Activation. It's just something extra, added to make transferring a DL easier.

Because of all my testing most of my PC's have multiple DL's. I have yet to lose one, as near as I can tell anyway. I've swapped around going up and down Editions and had no issues activating. What I'm doing is pretty close to dual booting. I have no idea what's broken with the OP activation though? My only activation issues have been with my MAK keys. It only happened once, the first time I used them on a second PC. I just put it down to an activation server glitch. slmr /ato fixed it.

14. dalchina New Member
    License terms:
    Installation and Use Rights.a. License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device)

Multi use scenarios.(i) Multiple versions. If when acquiring the software you were provided with multiple versions (such as 32-bit and 64-bit versions), you may install and activate only one of those versions at a time.

Activation problems After Creators fall Update [​IMG]

Those were the options I chose to get that license. You can choose others. (See my earlier post for link).

I read that to mean you can't have more than 1 activated instance of Windows on a PC at one time. That's not the same argument as how many are running at a given time.

However, this is legal stuff and I'm not a lawyer.

If so, we shouldn't be trying to help someone break the terms of the license, irrespective of what may have worked formerly.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2017
  15. @ dalchina I read that to mean you can't run 32 and 64 bit versions of the same "Edition" Two instances of Pro or two instances of Home, both activated with the same Product Code. It would be the same license used twice. In the Op's case its one instance of Home and one instance of Pro. Two different product codes, and two separate licences. They just happen to be one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. Just my 2 cents is all.

Thema:

1. Activation problems After Creators fall Update - Similar Threads - Activation problems Creators

2. Fall Creators Update Problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall Creators Update Problems: For more than a year, Windows has been trying to install the subject update and for that long, various incarnations of updates have failed to install on my Acer Aspire S7. The program hangs up my entire system at 1% installed so that I have no choice but to shut down and...
  3. Fall creators update.

Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  4. Fall Creator update problems/solved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fall Creator update problems/solved: I have been seeing a few posts about the Fall Creator update and the various problems or no problems. Mine was that I had updated to W10Pro so I could use whatever drivers I wanted to. But with the first Creator update I couldn't install any NVidia drivers older than the 370...
  5. INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...

in Browsers and Email
    INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was more browser than OS related. Anyway, after last week's v1709 update, CCleaner has been deleting a file it never used to. C:\Users\UserId\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie It shows up...
  6. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  7. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  8. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  9. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....
  10. Weird Renaming problem after Fall Creators Update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Renaming problem after Fall Creators Update.: I have the strangest problem after the Fall Creators Update. I normally view the contents of my folders in Small Icon View. Now anything in this view, I cannot rename. Right click, choose rename and nothing happens. If I change the view to anything other than small icons I...