Windows 10: Activation problems after motherboard and cpu upgrade

Discus and support Activation problems after motherboard and cpu upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Can someone reset my activation key?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by amp051947, May 14, 2021.

1. amp051947 Win User

Activation problems after motherboard and cpu upgrade

Can someone reset my activation key?

:)

amp051947, May 14, 2021
  2. K_Kang Win User

Windows activation fails after upgrading CPU and motherboard

Hello,

I get an error message trying to re-confirm Windows 10 activation after upgrading motherboard and CPU. Error message that came was: "Unable to activate Windows. We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available right now. Wait for a few minutes
    or try adding your Microsoft account again. Learn more".

This is now the second day in a row that it does not work.

Have you seen the same, and if yes, any suggestions for a fix?

Background:

-I was following the process recommended by Microsoft Support for the activation after motherboard and CPU upgrade.

-Before upgrade I had perfectly activated win 10.

BR,

K_Kang, May 14, 2021
  3. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, May 14, 2021
  4. mshimala Win User

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, May 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Activation problems after motherboard and cpu upgrade - Similar Threads - Activation problems motherboard

2. Activating Windows after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I just upgraded my motherboard and cpu, now windows won't let me activate. I have a digital license tied to my microsoft account but it won't let me install and activate with the new motherboard and cpu. I bought the license retail a long time ago and it was upgraded to...
  3. Activating Windows after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Windows after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I just upgraded my motherboard and cpu, now windows won't let me activate. I have a digital license tied to my microsoft account but it won't let me install and activate with the new motherboard and cpu. I bought the license retail a long time ago and it was upgraded to...
  4. Activating Windows after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade: Hello everyone,I had few issues with my old pc my supply broke the motherboard and cpu, also the power supply got fixed. But i had to change mbd and cpuOld system:i7 6700kNoctua NHD14asus z170a16g ram 2400mhzssd samsung evo 840Segotep 900gNew system:Ryzen 5600Noctua...
  6. BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade: Hello everyone,I had few issues with my old pc my supply broke the motherboard and cpu, also the power supply got fixed. But i had to change mbd and cpuOld system:i7 6700kNoctua NHD14asus z170a16g ram 2400mhzssd samsung evo 840Segotep 900gNew system:Ryzen 5600Noctua...
  7. BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade: I just finished upgrading my pc from a b450-f gaming and ryzen 5 2600 to a b550-f gaming and ryzen 5 5600x. Whenever I try to boot, though, I keep getting “system thread exception not handled.” Any help would be really appreciated!...
  8. BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade: I just finished upgrading my pc from a b450-f gaming and ryzen 5 2600 to a b550-f gaming and ryzen 5 5600x. Whenever I try to boot, though, I keep getting “system thread exception not handled.” Any help would be really appreciated!...
  9. No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.

No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.: Split from this thread.This PC is running an activated Windows 10. I have replaced the motherboard & CPU NOT the hard disk with the activated software and system now tells me it needs activating - and no error code is produced by the system. The inability to communicate...
  10. Windows 10 wont activate after upgrading CPU & Motherboard

Windows 10 wont activate after upgrading CPU & Motherboard: Hello, I had just upgraded my PC yesterday, and now I need to re-active windows. I originally had bought a full retail version of Windows 8.1 and was upgraded free to Windows 10. When I go to input my Windows 8.1 code it pops up with error code 0x803f7001 and is saying I...