Windows 10: Activation query after clean install

Discus and support Activation query after clean install in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; A friend's Asus 8.1 laptop was stuck in an automatic repair loop so I suggested that he upgrade to Windows 10. Because he was unable to access his... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by millmeister, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Activation query after clean install

A friend's Asus 8.1 laptop was stuck in an automatic repair loop so I suggested that he upgrade to Windows 10.

Because he was unable to access his system, I opted for a clean install and I created a bootable Win 10 usb on another pc. I used this usb to insall Win 10 on his machine, skipping any requests to activate.

I was under the impression that Win 10 would automatically activate on installation. I'm not sure he ever signed up for the free upgrade offer before Win 8 on his machine decided to implode.

Any advice as to what steps I should take now would be appreciated - thanks.

:)

millmeister, Aug 18, 2015
  2. reck2 Win User

Clean install query

I’ve been trying to update my Windows 7 install to Windows 10 since it was released but during the install I keep getting error C1900101 – 40017. I’m now at the point where I’m thinking about booting from the Windows 10 DVD and performing a clean install
    rather than upgrading Windows 7.

My question is if I perform a clean install by wiping Windows 7 rather than updating it am I going to have issues activing it once its installed? Will the activation servers just see a clean install and think it’s a new computer and try and get me to purchase
    a new licence?

Thanks

reck2, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Clean install query

Yes you will have problems activating it., and would have to purchase a license

in order to get Windows 10 free you must first UPGRADE an activated, genuine, running copy of windows 7 (or 8, 8.1)

the obvious thing to suggest is to uninstall you antivirus software, using the removal tool from the supplier.

and check that you have the latest drivers, specifically for you graphics card. Before upgrading.

If you are considering a clean install, do a clean install of Windows 7, make sure that it has activated then upgrade to 10 once activated you can if you want do a clean install of windows 10

Martmcd, Aug 18, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Activation query after clean install

You have to perform an upgrade from the original OS to Win10 and get it to activate before you can perform a clean instillation and have it activate. You're going to have to reinstall 8.1 and then upgrade to 10, get it to activate and then you can perform a clean instillation for the automatic activation to work.

BunnyJ, Aug 18, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    It does not matter, if your friend made a reservation for Windows 10 or if he did not. However, what does matter is that he once does an actual upgrade of his Windows 8 installation. Directly doing a clean install will lead to a non-activated system. Instead, he must upgrade Windows 8, e.g. using the Get Windows 10 app. Once that process has finished, he will have an activated Windows 10 and he will also be able to do a clean install, which will afterwards be activated.

Joergi, Aug 18, 2015
  6. Ok thanks both for your replies. So looks like I'm going to have to downgrade back to Win 8 and then go through the whole process again (but properly this time).

millmeister, Aug 18, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    You're welcome.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 18, 2015
  8. Joergi Win User

Yes, I think there is no way around that.

Joergi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Activation query after clean install - Similar Threads - Activation query clean

2. Activation query

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation query: I have Windows 10 PC. This version was preinstalled: I bought a computer with boxed Windows 7 and then transferred OS to another machine. I have a message on the old computer “activated using a digital license” . Is it possible to untie activation on these computers?...
  3. Activating after clean install

Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  4. Clean Install Partitions Query

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Partitions Query: My laptop has become somewhat slow to login and switch between accounts. I want to do a clean install. See the partition map below. The 500GB SSD has two main partitions - C: for system files and X: for backups. I'm happy to wipe C: and the other system partitions but want to...
  5. Clean install and activations

Clean install and activations: Hello. I have been unable to activate W10 from a clean installation, neither by using a w7 code (COA sticker), neither from those w8.x systems that have activation string encrypted in bios (do you need UEFI/GPT installation for this way to work?). Ideas?. 18064
  6. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade? Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. I did exactly this. I upgraded from a windows 7 pro system...
  7. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the windows updater. After windows 10 was installed, I decided to download this Windows 10 and chose the USB option. I booted into my USB and when selecting the partition, I deleted every partition that was there (even the...
  8. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  9. Activation after clean install.

Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...
  10. After Upgrade via clean install query what partitions to keep

After Upgrade via clean install query what partitions to keep: *sarc*sarc Just wondering looking at my partitions after upgrading to windows 10 . [img] do i need to keep the last too partitions? i love windows 10 and had presumed that after a clean install my old windows 8 and 8.1 would be removed are these last too files remainders...