Windows 10: activation required win10

Discus and support activation required win10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I recently changed my laptop's motherboard, and after few days windows is asking for activation. Although prior changing the motherboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by fadi, Sep 11, 2015.

1. fadi Win User

activation required win10

Hello,

I recently changed my laptop's motherboard, and after few days windows is asking for activation. Although prior changing the motherboard everything was running just fine. I upgraded from win 7 with genuine key.

:)

2. 'Mike P Win User

The Problem Is In Future In Case If I Format A Laptop Window 10 Will Be There Or I Will Get Back Window 8.1.

Once win10 has been installed and activated for the first time - then you can format and reinstall win10 with no key required and it should automatically activate once online.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

'Mike P, Sep 11, 2015
  3. Jason[MS] Win User
    Did a clean install and now have to activate, but cannot.

This is expected behavior. Win10 uses different licensing than Win7 and Win8. For a user who is on Win7 or 8, and upgrades to Win10, their license key is converted and allows for Win10 to install an activate.

Doing a clean install of Win10 from ISO will require a Win10 license.

To resolve this situation without buying a Win10 license, you'll need to reinstall your original OS (7 or 8), make sure you have activated, and then use the ISO to do an in-place upgrade (NOT clean flash!!!!) to move to Win10. At that point, make sure
    your Microsoft Account is attached to your machine and you'll be good to activate for Win10.

- Jason

Jason[MS], Sep 11, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

You could try phone activation (type slui 4 from command prompt and follow the instructions). This might work if MS are feeling lenient.

If this doesn't work and your Windows 7 license is transferable (i.e. you bought it and it didn't come with your laptop) you could install it and upgrade again. Otherwise you'll have to buy a new license as changing your motherboard means you have a new computer in their eyes.

5. fadi Win User
    so do mean when i call i shouldn't mention i changed the MB, would that help

6. lx07 Win User
    No, I mean tell them the truth and hope for the best. According to here it should work..

How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC’s Hardware

7. WhyMe Win User
    Hi,

Just to add to the advice given by Halasz *Smile

If you say the motherboard is an upgrade then they will not activate as you would need to purchase a new license. If it is a like-for-like replacement of a broken motherboard then re-activation is fine. Hasn't got to be the exact same model motherboard, but it must be one of same type/series. (ie not updated technology)

This of course is only relevant if your original Win7 was an oem license. If it was retail then you simply reinstall Win7 and activate. Don't bother with installing updates or drivers. Then upgrade to win10 again.

WhyMe, Sep 11, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

If it was retail just phone them up and they'll swap your key for a Win 10 one. I just did that.

9. WhyMe Win User
    oh...that's pretty cool...

WhyMe, Sep 11, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    Yeah. I was pleased.

11. fadi Win User
    I had to replace my the motherboard because it became dead so it was not for upgrade purpose and the license key is oem

12. fadi Win User
    I called microsoft activation center and the first rep wasn't helpful. Then called after few days and they helped by transferring my win 7 key to win 10 and they emailed me the key

thanks guys

13. WhyMe Win User

Good. New replacement motherboard and a Win10 successful re-activation. Well done for persevering! *Smile

WhyMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. activation required win10 - Similar Threads - activation required win10

2. Activation requirements.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation requirements.: PC in question is an HP Z220 with proprietary Windows 7 installation discs. Last re-installed that ages ago and recently installed Window 10 22H2. Office programs no longer open because I fiddled since installing 10. Office is trashed and I can't uninstall it due to a...
  3. Activation requirements.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation requirements.: PC in question is an HP Z220 with proprietary Windows 7 installation discs. Last re-installed that ages ago and recently installed Window 10 22H2. Office programs no longer open because I fiddled since installing 10. Office is trashed and I can't uninstall it due to a...
  4. Activation requirements.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. activation win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    activation win10: I just replaced my motherboard and now my Windows is not activated. It is embedded in my MS account and it should not be activated. Can somebody explain to me why and how to activate it?...
  6. Activating Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating Win10: I bought and paid for Win10 Pro software license that I've been running on a Dell OptiPlex 7010 installed on an SSD drive utilizing BIO's. I bought a computer from a private party with an MSI B460 PRO MB, it has a 1 Tb NVMe M.2 SSD drive utilizing UEFI, he was running Win10...
  7. Activating Win10

Activating Win10: I bought and paid for Win10 Pro software license that I've been running on a Dell OptiPlex 7010 installed on an SSD drive utilizing BIO's. I bought a computer from a private party with an MSI B460 PRO MB, it has a 1 Tb NVMe M.2 SSD drive utilizing UEFI, he was running Win10...
  8. Win10 Activation

Win10 Activation: Why must I constantly reactivate my Win10? It has been working fine for the past couple years, not it's requesting reactivation almost daily. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-activation/9d7f2064-4473-4e82-8ef5-fc138937571d"
  9. Activate Win10

Activate Win10: After an update recently I got a message to activate Win10. It had been activated for all the time I have owned this computer,. When I go out to try activating to get rid of the message i get the following: I have a personal computer at home, I do not have an activation...
  10. MpSigStub.exe => is this required for Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MpSigStub.exe => is this required for Win10?: Hi, one of a few submissions today re: a new HP x360 Spectre convertible laptop with OEM Win10 Home and McAfee trial pre-installed. I purchased from Best Buy on Dec 9 and have already done one reset. I came across a MpSigStub.log file in the temp directory, contents below,...