Windows 10: Activation troubleshooting

Discus and support Activation troubleshooting in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I think the end is near though for activating with Windows 7 and 8 keys. One thing that has changed is reading Windows 8/8.1 OEM Embedded keys. The CU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Superfly, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Superfly Win User

Activation troubleshooting

Uhmmm .. that was what you wanted right... no PID.txt and stuff...?

I don't think it's got to do with free upgrade... it was a nuisance that was removed...and MS may be giving in to OEM pressure to promote Win 10 PC sales..? .. anyway, just playing devil's advocate.

Superfly, Apr 24, 2017

2. Yes it was what I wanted, no "having" to mess with a PID.txt file now. It was mentioned to Microsoft that it caused issues. People did the free upgrade to 10 Pro. Then latter on did a clean install and ended up with 10 Home because of the OEM key. Followed by Microsoft ripped me off complaints. Some even did a second clean install thinking they clicked the wrong option or missed something. It seemed to fall on deaf ears though. It looks like somebody might have actually listened though?

alphanumeric, Apr 24, 2017
  3. This interesting, and confusing, to me anyway?
    Description Windows Operating system Volume MAK channel.
    But farther down it say activation Microsoft.com.... configextension=Retail.
    KTPJR is the last 5 of my MSDN key.

Activation troubleshooting [​IMG]

alphanumeric, May 15, 2017
  4. Superfly Win User

OK, Alpha, finally figured the activation path for MAK and retail are the same...same server (seems glaringly obvious now,, but had to test the MAK)

(some lighthearted stuff.. Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO] - YouTube)

Superfly, Jun 17, 2017
  5. One wonders how many PC's one could activate with a MAK key? I still think this should not happen and or wasn't intentional. But I gave up wondering why Microsoft does things like this years ago.

alphanumeric, Jun 17, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    MAK Keys appear to vary in my experience I've seen them Quoted as "Up To 3" and also others stated as "10 Use MAK" depending on the intended use I've also noticed that this is either not checked diligently or thought of as more of a guideline than a set restriction

Barman58, Jun 17, 2017
  7. hawkman Win User
    MAK keys have allways validated via MS servers,
    because in the old days, VLK licences dont and they also needed a SLIC table as part of validation, so if Volume customers had users without a SLIC table they had to issue a MAK
    The other difference was that VLK licences were X day dependent
    MAK were one-off's.

Roy

hawkman, Jun 17, 2017
  8. Activation troubleshooting

I hardly ever use MAK keys. Only if that's the only option for the version of Windows I want to run. Like when I want to have a look see at the Enterprise version. Usually, if there is a Retail key available via my MSDN sub I use it. MAK keys are a bit of a special case. It's VL but activates through Microsoft, not via your companies KMS server. Up until now though, I always showed "activated with a Product key", no DL. Now I get a DL. I currently have 3 PC's running Enterprise, all activated with that same MAK key, and all showing activated with a DL.

9. Superfly Win User
    As an eg.. here's a MAK with 5000 activations...

Superfly, Jun 17, 2017
  10. It appears, if you activate with a MAK, you don't get a new generic key with the DL? Like what happens with Home or Pro. showkey just returns BBBBB-BBBBB-.... . slmgr though shows the last 5 of my MAK key.

11. hawkman Win User
    Exactly as i woud expect Alphanumeric, slmgr was originally setup and designed for Volume licence users.
    But as everybody now knows about it, its ended up being an all user tool, especially /rearm.
    note i knew that MAK keys have multiple licence users per key, i meant they only need to be activated once.

Roy

hawkman, Jun 17, 2017
  12. Ah, OK, no calling home every 90 days, or what ever it is for KMS. I suspected that, just never bothered to prove it. I think that changes though, if its converted to a DL? I do believe there are periodic rechecks of activation status with a DL.

alphanumeric, Jun 18, 2017
  13. Activation troubleshooting

Did a clean install or Windows 10 Education with the latest (updated Jun) MSDN ISO and was not prompted to enter a Key. No PID.txt file either. It appears it looked for a DL, found one, and thus didn't prompt for a key? No having to click I don't have one.

alphanumeric, Jul 5, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Only if the Hardware ID of the computer changes. People like Navy deployed on ships will have computers that won't be connected to the internet for months that will stay activated.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2017
  15. Superfly Win User
    I think this is specific to a single verson ISO...

I'm not sure it would know which verson to install if eg. both Home and Pro were included. It will most likely check for an OEM key then, if not found prompt...

Superfly, Jul 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Activation troubleshooting - Similar Threads - Activation troubleshooting

2. Can't activate Windows after new motherboard install. Tried troubleshooting methods,...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate Windows after new motherboard install. Tried troubleshooting methods,...: I installed a new motherboard and installed my windows 8.1 pro software. I was unable to access the internet on this machine with Windows 8 because the hardware did not support windows 8 drivers. So I downloaded a windows 10 upgrade and upgraded to windows 10. Now it's asking...
  3. Can not do Activated Windows 11 Home Single Language. Troubleshoot 0xc0020036

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not do Activated Windows 11 Home Single Language. Troubleshoot 0xc0020036: Hello my windows suddenly ask to active the windows. i bought permanent license but i do not know why i got this. when i try to do troubleshoot they said "Something prevented us from communicating with our activation server. Wait a few minutes and try again. 0xc0020036"i try...
  4. Can not do Activated Windows 11 Home Single Language. Troubleshoot 0xc0020036

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not do Activated Windows 11 Home Single Language. Troubleshoot 0xc0020036: Hello my windows suddenly ask to active the windows. i bought permanent license but i do not know why i got this. when i try to do troubleshoot they said "Something prevented us from communicating with our activation server. Wait a few minutes and try again. 0xc0020036"i try...
  5. New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter: My old PC has Windows 10 Home, which I bought from a Microsoft store. I recently upgraded my PC, and have a fresh Windows install. I logged into my Microsoft account on the new PC, same one as the one in my old PC where Windows is activated. When I go into Update and Security...
  6. New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter: My old PC has Windows 10 Home, which I bought from a Microsoft store. I recently upgraded my PC, and have a fresh Windows install. I logged into my Microsoft account on the new PC, same one as the one in my old PC where Windows is activated. When I go into Update and Security...
  7. New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter

8. Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...: Hi so I had to change motherboards on my PC and now my windows won't activate. I didn't have the product key so pulled it from the registry however this also doesn't work. I requested a callback 2 days ago and still nothing. I use this PC for work and it's critical that I can...
  9. Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...

Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...: Hi so I had to change motherboards on my PC and now my windows won't activate. I didn't have the product key so pulled it from the registry however this also doesn't work. I requested a callback 2 days ago and still nothing. I use this PC for work and it's critical that I can...
  10. Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade