Windows 10: Activation troubleshooting

Discus and support Activation troubleshooting in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; It does look as if you have been caught out by a Seller illegally bypassing licence requirements, this is done by faking an enterprise version that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Superfly, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Barman58 Win User

Activation troubleshooting

It does look as if you have been caught out by a Seller illegally bypassing licence requirements, this is done by faking an enterprise version that uses a Key Management server to authorise the install at set intervals - The system is required to "phone Home" every x days to confirm that the system is still licenced - as the check period can be quite a long time (IIRC up to 90 Days ), most sellers use one of the fake KMS server Hacks to redirect this Phone Home to the actual system and thus continue activation.

It appears that the seller in this case has not even bothered with this hack and has just left the system to timeout after a number of failed update attempts. It may also be that a System File Check being ran could have removed parts of the hack and made the system revert to initial status and checks

The starter licence you are seeing could be one from the TPM chip that relates to the original OS sold with the system, and you would need to obtain a copy of the installer for this and install to automatically activate using the embedded key - This is likely to be difficult as the Win Next Starter version was not available from other than the OEM selling the hardware, (the version was also a heavily modified version with severe usage limitations).

There used to be a system where if you purchased a system in good faith and found it to be counterfeit, Microsoft would supply you with a free genuine key if you reported the details to them. Now this system may or may not apply in your case as I understand that it was aimed at commercial sellers of stolen or faked licences but it has been applied to other victims so may be worth a try, but otherwise I would expect you to need purchase a new licenced copy of Windows.

Be careful with purchasing just a key as this is no longer a microsoft option so are often dodgy

you are normally better off looking for a full licenced install media, also although it is possible to just change the key and obtain a working copy this is not practical when changing versions, (I am assuming you will be looking for Pro or Home as a replacement ), and you would also be better off wiping the system and installing fresh as the activation hack is normally not the only change that is made to the OS backdoors and key readers are often included for free!

Barman58, Aug 8, 2017
  2. Superfly Win User

Yup it's bogus - your "activation renewal KMS server" is registered to localhost thus it was activated with an exploit. The original key "Win Next Starter Retail" won't work as it's merely for installation - was only distributed with earliest versions of Win 10.

Superfly, Aug 8, 2017
  3. Enterprise uses Volume Licencing, and it should not have been sold to you with Enterprise installed. Activation will almost certainly fail at some point. Likely when the first expiry date rolls around. It has to be able to connect to the companies KMS server to activate. Or to a fake KMS server if that's a cheated install. I'm not sure what " Win Next Starter Retail" means or is. I should know, but don't recall at the moment.

EDIT: Didn't notice there was another page with two answers already posted, *Doh

alphanumeric, Aug 8, 2017
  4. trees4me Win User

Ok, thanks for confirming. The guy seemed kinda dodgy when I bought it, so I was anticipating issues like this coming up. I'll get a pro oem version and work on a clean install. There goes the weekend...

I appreciate the help!

trees4me, Aug 8, 2017
  5. Superfly Win User
    Seems MS has updated/changed things on the activation server. Whereas we got DL an upgrade is now being recognised as full (like FPP....)
    I had upgraded a MAK install and got a generic key (i.e. Digital Licence)

Activation troubleshooting [​IMG]

yet the DL is no longer used locally

Code: Windows Diagnostic Information------------------------------ Tool Version: 10.0.14393.0 Licensing Status: Licenced Licensing Status Reason: 0x00000000 Local Genuine State: Genuine Local Genuine Result P: 1 Last Online Genuine Result: 0x00000000 Grace Time Minutes: 0 Total Grace Days: 0 Validity Expiration: Active Partial Product Key: 3YH3B Active Product Key Pid2: 00331-20350-42992-AA626 O S Version: 10.0.14393.2.00010100.0.0.048 Product Name: Windows 10 Pro Processor Architecture: x64 Edition Id: Professional Build Lab: 14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161102-0100 Time Zone: South Africa Standard Time(GMT+02:00) Active Sku Id: 49cd895b-53b2-4dc4-a5f7-b18aa019ad37 Active Sku Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_MAK channel Product Uniqueness Groups: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f Active Product Key P Key Id: 37e09cf2-0d92-416f-fe6a-486775088370 Active Product Key Pid Ex: 03612-03312-035-042992-03-1033-14393.0000-1702017 Active Product Key Channel: Volume:MAK Active Volume Customer Pid: Offline Installation Id: 701125196020213507194396387695896312733656849951108938331565605 Domain Joined: true Computer Sid: S-1-5-21-1900498971-2871778913-1579950307 Product L C I D: 1033 User L C I D: 7177 System L C I D: 1033 Code Signing: SIGNED_INFO_PRS_SIGNED Service Available: true Oem Marker Version: 0x00020001 Oem Id: DELL Oem Table Id: CBX3 O A3 Product Key: xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-KD782 Manufacturer: Dell Inc. Model: Latitude E5470 Install Date: 20170619144431.000000+120 Result: PASS Tampered Items: Server Props: GenuineId=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f;OemId=;OptionalInfoId=;Pid=qGwWFV1dtQkIu9BLq0sFALGyvtwlNUTcaPPY7XOhWQQ=;SkuId=49cd895b-53b2-4dc4-a5f7-b18aa019ad37;TimeStampServer=2016-08-04T07:41:41Z; ****** Errors from Event Log ***** No Security SPP Event Log errors found ------------------------------------------------ Created by for EightForums & TenForums[/quote] The Licensing Status Reason: is no longer 0x4004F401 (store licence = DL) it shows as a non-upgrade key installation.

...and the genuine ticket xml data is no longer available.

Before:
    Code: Server Props: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><genuineAuthorization xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/DRM/SL/GenuineAuthorization/1.0"><version>1.0</version><genuineProperties origin="sppclient"><properties>OA3xOriginalProductId=;OA3xOriginalProductKey=;SessionId=LicensingDia g;TimeStampClient=2016-11-12T19:43:33Z</properties><signatures><signature name="clientLockboxKey" method="rsa-sha256">f/4VngIQdikqx4u8dg273ax3GNZTjurGkM3wjJLbPXFucGB29TCS2jqXiRBf+SX4/CiTeeQHAXNpLMjXMGcxW8+u4cAN+pmnKjY557id+Z0Mt03+L1zCeVYfMWj7lz5SkQKSkQkRv7T9wgPJ+3c/qiJu9uvlvBUgS74wESpTL1o=</signature></signatures></genuineProperties></genuineAuthorization>[/quote] After:
    Code: Server Props: GenuineId=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f;OemId=;OptionalInfoId=;Pid=qGwWFV1dtQkIu9BLq0sFALGyvtwlNUTcaPPY7XOhWQQ=;SkuId=49cd895b-53b2-4dc4-a5f7-b18aa019ad37;TimeStampServer=2016-08-04T07:41:41Z;[/quote]

Superfly, Aug 25, 2017
  6. Interesting, thanks for the info. I can't claim to understand it all though. So upgrades to 10 from Win 7 and 8 are different now? Activation wise? A hint of further changes maybe? I'm thinking the free upgrade has to end some time?

alphanumeric, Aug 25, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    Sorry for the late reply Alph...

I think it's MAK related (Windows has always treated those differently to Retail and OEM) - the irony is that Volume is not part of the free upgrade path yet they get full product licensing as opposed to hardware based (DL)... just seems odd..

I'm sure the the generic MAK key won't work on other hardware, just interesting the way it presents itself... probably not a big deal.. we'll see *Wink

Superfly, Aug 29, 2017
  8. Activation troubleshooting

These tools of yours are awesome!

slicendice, Oct 3, 2017
  9. I did a clean install of 10 Home from a MCT created thumb drive. 1709 Fall Update. I did the I don't have a key and it activated with its DL it already had.
    Then did the change Product key and entered the 3V66T generic Pro key. It upgraded rebooted etc, and then activated with its DL it already had.
    Gets interesting now. A while back I did some Education installs with my MSDN MAK key. They all surprisingly activated with a DL. I did some poking around and pulled the Generic key they got. I assumed it was a generic key it didn't match the MAK I used to install them. So just now I did another change product key on the above Pro install and entered that Education Generic key . Instead of prompting to update, it just said "Activate Windows"? I clicked OK and it activated. Then the Windows 10 Pro changed to Windows 10 Education on the activation screen, and it shows as activated with a DL linked to Microsoft Account. No reboot no nothing. Just a quick name change. I know it did switch to Education though. My "Some settings are managed by your organization" message is back.

alphanumeric, Oct 17, 2017
  10. Won't let you go back to Home from Pro though, not unexpected. When I did the change key and went to Pro it said "Upgrade Windows".

11. Entering one of my Windows 10 Pro Workstation keys via change product key, does the same "Activate Windows" and just quickly changes it from 10 Pro to 10 Pro Workstation. Failed to activate the first time I tried it though? It said Windows isn't activated, go to the Store to buy a legal copy etc. But Window 10 Pro was still installed and activated. I Googled the error code and didn't find any hits, (0xc03f6506). Then just for kicks I had another try, knowing the activation server sometimes acts up and it activated just fine with a DL.

I have tried the MCT ISO and my MSDN ISO and neither one offers up Pro Desktop as an install option. Only Pro and Pro N.

12. alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Activation troubleshooting - Similar Threads - Activation troubleshooting

2. Can not do Activated Windows 11 Home Single Language. Troubleshoot 0xc0020036

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not do Activated Windows 11 Home Single Language. Troubleshoot 0xc0020036: Hello my windows suddenly ask to active the windows. i bought permanent license but i do not know why i got this. when i try to do troubleshoot they said "Something prevented us from communicating with our activation server. Wait a few minutes and try again. 0xc0020036"i try...
  3. Can not do Activated Windows 11 Home Single Language. Troubleshoot 0xc0020036

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not do Activated Windows 11 Home Single Language. Troubleshoot 0xc0020036: Hello my windows suddenly ask to active the windows. i bought permanent license but i do not know why i got this. when i try to do troubleshoot they said "Something prevented us from communicating with our activation server. Wait a few minutes and try again. 0xc0020036"i try...
  4. New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter: My old PC has Windows 10 Home, which I bought from a Microsoft store. I recently upgraded my PC, and have a fresh Windows install. I logged into my Microsoft account on the new PC, same one as the one in my old PC where Windows is activated. When I go into Update and Security...
  5. New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter: My old PC has Windows 10 Home, which I bought from a Microsoft store. I recently upgraded my PC, and have a fresh Windows install. I logged into my Microsoft account on the new PC, same one as the one in my old PC where Windows is activated. When I go into Update and Security...
  6. New PC not showing up during the Windows activation troubleshooter

7. Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...: Hi so I had to change motherboards on my PC and now my windows won't activate. I didn't have the product key so pulled it from the registry however this also doesn't work. I requested a callback 2 days ago and still nothing. I use this PC for work and it's critical that I can...
  8. Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...

Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...: Hi so I had to change motherboards on my PC and now my windows won't activate. I didn't have the product key so pulled it from the registry however this also doesn't work. I requested a callback 2 days ago and still nothing. I use this PC for work and it's critical that I can...
  9. Windows Won't Activate After Motherboard Change - Error Code 0xC004F211 - Troubleshoot not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Cannot verify, troubleshoot or activate Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot verify, troubleshoot or activate Windows 11: I have received error code 0xc0000022, which according to what I've found, just means the authentication service isn't working, but for some reason, even though my account is administrator on my PC, and I have a Windows 11 Home product key, I still cannot activate or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. activation seven troubleshooting