Windows 10: Activation / Upgrade to Pro Issue & Questions

Discus and support Activation / Upgrade to Pro Issue & Questions in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a Alienware laptop that has a digital license for Windows 10 Home. I presume the original OS was Windows 7 Home or something. I also have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by COtto_1984, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Activation / Upgrade to Pro Issue & Questions

I have a Alienware laptop that has a digital license for Windows 10 Home. I presume the original OS was Windows 7 Home or something. I also have a Windows 7 Pro upgrade key. When I typically do a clean install, it will activate Windows 10 Home when I sign via my Microsoft account. I usually then have to go change the key and enter my Pro key to activate Windows 10 Pro.

I just did a clean install and am now getting an error 0x80070005when I try to enter the Pro upgrade key. When I restart the computer, it will indeed proceed with the upgrade anyways and Windows will say I have Windows 10 Pro activated with digital license. I have to go through this process EVERY time I do a clean install.

First question is what is now causing the error? Secondly, is there any way I can force Windows 10 Pro to install from the beginning when I do a clean install?

:)

COtto_1984, Oct 14, 2020

2. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Cant get Win 10 to upgrade to Pro after HD failure

Hi Christopher,

You can upgrade your Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by using Windows 10 Pro digital license or product key. For us to isolate the issue, we would like to ask the following questions:

• Did your device came with Windows 8 pre-installed?
    • What is the make and model of your Windows device?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article to

upgrade your Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

In case that you'll experience an activation issue, we recommend that you follow the steps on this article:

Using the Activation troubleshooter
    . Choose the method that fits to your situation.

We will look forward for your response.

Janeane Cru, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Activation / Upgrade to Pro Issue & Questions

ACTIVATION ISSUE

Hi,

Activation issues with Windows 10 devices are usually caused due to some hardware changes. For us to provide an effective resolution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• What changes have you made to your devices before this issue occurred?
    • Are your computers connected to a domain?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest visiting these links. These can be used as a reference on how to activate Windows 10:

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

Activation / Upgrade to Pro Issue & Questions

1. Activation / Upgrade to Pro Issue & Questions - Similar Threads - Activation Upgrade Pro

2. Windows Pro Upgrade Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Pro Upgrade Question: I have a Surface Pro 8 with Windows Home and plan to upgrade it to Windows Pro. If I do that, then at some point want to sell the device and get a new one, will resetting it take it back to the Home version or the last installed Pro version? Also, if I purchase the Pro...
  3. Windows Pro Upgrade Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Pro Upgrade Question: I have a Surface Pro 8 with Windows Home and plan to upgrade it to Windows Pro. If I do that, then at some point want to sell the device and get a new one, will resetting it take it back to the Home version or the last installed Pro version? Also, if I purchase the Pro...
  4. Windows 11 Activation issue after Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Activation issue after Pro Upgrade: Hi,We have a Windows 11 Laptop that we upgraded from Home to Pro via the Microsoft Store, the machine was then reset and enrolled into Microsoft Intune. Now Windows shows as Windows 11 Enterprise and will not activate. How can I resolve this?Thanks...
  5. Windows 11 Activation issue after Pro Upgrade

Windows 11 Activation issue after Pro Upgrade: Hi,We have a Windows 11 Laptop that we upgraded from Home to Pro via the Microsoft Store, the machine was then reset and enrolled into Microsoft Intune. Now Windows shows as Windows 11 Enterprise and will not activate. How can I resolve this?Thanks...
  6. Windows 11 Pro upgrade question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro upgrade question: I just had to do a factory restore on my system which took my system from windows 11 Pro 22H2 back to windows 10 1803. I am in the process of updating and upgrading windows back to windows 11 21H2. I Purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the windows store back when the...
  7. Windows 10 Pro Activation/Upgrade issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro Activation/Upgrade issue: In Jun 2021, I purchased new Lenovo laptop with pre-installed Windows. Next day, I purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade from Microsoft store.Recently I have formatted my laptop. I have activated Windows 10 Home by getting product key by running PowerShell. How can i upgrade to...
  8. Windows 10 Pro Activation/Upgrade issue

Windows 10 Pro Activation/Upgrade issue: In Jun 2021, I purchased new Lenovo laptop with pre-installed Windows. Next day, I purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade from Microsoft store.Recently I have formatted my laptop. I have activated Windows 10 Home by getting product key by running PowerShell. How can i upgrade to...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Activation/Upgrade issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  10. Win 10 Pro activation question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro activation question: Hi, I had a laptop that came with an OEM install of Windows 8.1 Home which I then upgraded to Win 10 Home via the free upgrade offered by Microsoft. Later I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from the Microsoftr online store and all this worked fine. But now my laptop has...