Windows 10: Activation with old key?

Discus and support Activation with old key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So, I had Win 8.1 retail on my machine, updated it to W10. Now I swapped the mobo and trying to activate W10 again. It won't accept my old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by deeaa, Mar 21, 2016.

1. deeaa Win User

Activation with old key?

So,

I had Win 8.1 retail on my machine, updated it to W10.
    Now I swapped the mobo and trying to activate W10 again.
    It won't accept my old serial...is there a way to activate it? I thought retail (not OEM) versions could be transferred to a new build as long as they are removed from the previous build?

:)

deeaa, Mar 21, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

windows 10 clean install and activation with old product key

No, that will have no effect on your Activation, I always reformat and partition my HDD.

Your Digital Entitlement is stored on the Microsoft Servers, so even if you replace your hard drive it does not affect activation . . .

DaveM121, Mar 21, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    windows 10 clean install and activation with old product key

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue,
    your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Servers

If you do not have the latest Windows 10 Installation Media Click HERE to download the Media Creation
    Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 4GB) using that tool or create the ISO file which you can later burn to
    DVD

DaveM121, Mar 21, 2016
  4. deeaa Win User

Activation with old key?

Actually, the way I had done it was wrong; I had used the ShowKeyPlus to reveal what was my original code and that was all wrong. Found the original serial and everything is fine, Windows activated Activation with old key? :)

deeaa, Mar 21, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    In which way was it wrong? When you use check product key on each of them, do they both show the exact same edition?

Superfly, Mar 22, 2016
  6. meebers Win User
    Glad to hear that it worked for you. Thinking about trying it also. My current MB uses sata 2 and usb 2 and was wanting to upgrade MB to newer model. Thinking about installing new MB, install Win8 in my case, then to 8.1 and then on to W10. Current MB was upgraded from retail 8 to 8.1 and then W10 and I knew that would not work and remain activated if I changed the MB.

meebers, Mar 22, 2016
  7. deeaa Win User
    Yes, it definitely seems to work fine as long as the original Windows was retail not OEM, as long as you use the original key as well and not the ones reported by Windows or ShowKeyPlus Activation with old key? :)

deeaa, Mar 22, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

Activation with old key?

LOL.. you don't trust the key that Windows reports that it itself uses?
    You probably had an over-used key that needed to be phone activated via Win 8 before digital entitlement on the new mobo - and activated with one that still had online transferability.

Superfly, Mar 22, 2016
  9. deeaa Win User
    The key was 8.1 retail I bought for the machine I took it from a year back, and updated that same machine to W10 last summer. Hardly overused; only once installed ever.

I tried both the 'original 8.1 key' as reported by ShowKey as well as 'current W10 key' or active or whatever it is...well every key it showed and both were instantly deemed unsuitable keys, it didn't even attempt them. But I used the key I had glued to the old box from the retail and no problem.

This was after W10 was installed. I also tried to give said keys during installation but they weren't accepted there either. But the original 8.1 key it accepted without any issues or phone activation or such.

It was a surprise to me that ShowKey showed completely wrong type keys.

deeaa, Mar 22, 2016
  10. Superfly Win User
    Well, this is the first I've heard of this...

If the original key shown was indeed a Win 8.1 retail key, where did it come from? - ShowKey cannot create keys...
    and what error message was given when you tried it? (NB the upgrade Win 10 key would never work as it's generic)

Superfly, Mar 22, 2016
  11. meebers Win User
    This is purely a guess. Don't think that W8 was that fussy back then, but if you are using it now with a new MB, MS doesn't have the ability to cross it to the older MB like they are now doing for W10??

meebers, Mar 22, 2016
  12. deeaa Win User
    Here's what it said on the old machine:

Windows 10 Pro
    Product ID: 00330----
    Installed Key: VK7JZ----

Original Key: XHQ8M----
    Original Edition: Win 8.1. Professional Retail
    OEM Key: OEM key not present in firmware

But the key I had used with the orig. 8.1. installation (and luckily had stuck it on the PC case) was nothing like these.

Sadly I don't remember what exactly it said, but it was along the lines of 'windows cannot activate with this key' I recall it was even in red. And offered to try another key or after installation to go to the store.

deeaa, Mar 22, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Activation with old key?

xhq8m-c3mcj-rqxb6-wchyg-c9wkb ???

That product key is all over the internet.

NavyLCDR, Mar 22, 2016
  14. deeaa Win User
    Hmm...I installed ShowKeyPlus again now on this new machine...

Windows 10 Pro
    Product ID: 00330---- (BUT end is different)
    Installed Key: VK7JZ---- (Exactly the same as on old machine, also exact same on all my machines. No wonder it didn't work it must be just a generic key it shows).

OEM Key: OEM key not present in firmware

- doesn't say anything about the 'original key' or original edition any more....Strange that the product ID has changed too...but I see it is actually different in all my W10 machines.

It doesn't appear to have the OEM key in firmware in any of my machines, although all 3 of them ARE updated from OEM W7 to W10.

deeaa, Mar 22, 2016
  15. deeaa Win User
    Yep, that's it. Maybe it's a generic code as well??? Well then especially obviously it wasn't the real key I installed it with originally, but some bogus key ShowKey presents.

deeaa, Mar 22, 2016
Thema:

Activation with old key?

1. Activation with old key? - Similar Threads - Activation old key

2. Can't find old Windows activation key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find old Windows activation key: Hello, I purchased a Windows activation code from the Microsoft store back in 2019 to use on a PC I had built. I returned the PC shortly after and I was told that the activation key would be linked to my Microsoft account. I have since built a new PC and I cannot find the...
  3. Can't find old Windows activation key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find old Windows activation key: Hello, I purchased a Windows activation code from the Microsoft store back in 2019 to use on a PC I had built. I returned the PC shortly after and I was told that the activation key would be linked to my Microsoft account. I have since built a new PC and I cannot find the...
  4. Can't find old Windows activation key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. how to unlink the activation key from an old user's account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to unlink the activation key from an old user's account?: a friend bought me this pc as a gift the pc comes with windows 11 pro, he opened the laptop and signed in with his email to check the lab and the activation key was linked to his account not mine. after resting the laptop there was a problem with the activation key i followed...
  6. how to unlink the activation key from an old user's account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to unlink the activation key from an old user's account?: a friend bought me this pc as a gift the pc comes with windows 11 pro, he opened the laptop and signed in with his email to check the lab and the activation key was linked to his account not mine. after resting the laptop there was a problem with the activation key i followed...
  7. New PC but previous activation key from old and broken device. How to deactivate old...

New PC but previous activation key from old and broken device. How to deactivate old...: Basically I had to buy a new pc because the old one broke completely. Now I have to activate windows on it but the activation key is not working since I didn't deactivate it on the old device. How to deactivate it? Or just buy a new license?...
  8. Activating Windows 10 from an old product key

Activating Windows 10 from an old product key: I recently built a PC and want to activate windows on it. I thought I would use the product key from my old laptop since I had to purchase windows for that to activate it. After deleting it and taking it off the registry, I entered it on my PC to find that I'm getting an...
  9. Activate product key that was used for old laptop that was spolied

Activate product key that was used for old laptop that was spolied: I bought a new laptop to replace my old one that could not start up. How do i activate my office using the same product key on my new laptop?...
  10. Windows is not Accepting my old Key During Activation

Windows is not Accepting my old Key During Activation: Hi there i had a window 10 update recently . i think it was from 1803 to 1903 version. after the update window crashed due to blue screen death. it keeps turning OFF and ON again every few minutes. so i formatted my hard drive and install window 10 ISO program in it....