Windows 10: Active Hours for Restarts

Discus and support Active Hours for Restarts in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by LKlindalou, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Active Hours for Restarts

I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need is f***ing Microsoft shutting down my computer when I'm in the middle of something.I am beyond appalled at the **** in Windows 11 Professional. It is a HORRID program.

:)

LKlindalou, Mar 5, 2023

2. Installing Updates and Restarting During my Active Hours?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the inconvenience caused to you as the Active Hour feature is not working as it should be.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that fix the issue.

Configuring active hours with Group Policy.

Please refer the section for Configure active hours
    and make the changes accordingly. If the PC installed with Windows 10 Pro then follow the steps under
    Configuring active hours with Group Policy and if it is
    Windows 10 Home then follow steps under Configuring active hours through Registry
    from this article: Manage device restarts after updates.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify
    the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take
    backup of registry.

Please let us know the status of the issue,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 5, 2023
  3. Disable Active hours?

Hello Daniel,

If you wish to add more hours or to have an option to turn off the Active Hours, then the feature is currently unavailable on Windows phone. It is best if you can send a suggestion to make the features available using the
    Feedback Hub app. To send a suggestion on your Windows phone, you can follow the steps provided below:

• Go to All Apps, search for the Feedback
      Hub app.
    • Open the menu icon at the top left side.
    • Select Feedback, then at the top right side, tap the
      add
      button (+).
    • Select Suggestionand fill up the box with the details needed.
    • Select the right category and then Submit.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask the community.

Michael Rey, Mar 5, 2023
  4. Active Hours for Restarts

Windows update and restart during active hours

Hi susanahlburg,

There will be situations when Windows Update can override the set active hours due to a bug. As a workaround, I suggest that you set your connection as metered to control when updates are installed.

To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:

• Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet >
      Wi-Fi > Manage known networks.
    • Select the Wi-Fi network > Properties > turn on Set as metered connection.

In addition, if you are experienced in modifying group policies and registry keys, you can configure a forced restart after a specified installation time, and then turn off auto-restart for updates during active hours. Should you choose to proceed with modifying
    group policies and registry keys, I suggest that you seek assistance from an IT professional or technician to avoid further issues with the system. Here is an
    article on how to manage device restarts after updates. Refer to
    Schedule update installation and Delay automatic reboot.

Let us know how it turns out.

Patricia Yu, Mar 5, 2023
Thema:

Active Hours for Restarts

1. Active Hours for Restarts - Similar Threads - Active Hours Restarts

2. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  3. Active Hours

in Windows 10 Customization
    Active Hours: Hi A while back, my fingerprint detector stopped working so I updated the driver. However, today, at 5pm, my fingerprint detector stopped. I went to update the driver, but it did not need to be updated, and I found that there has been an "Active Hours" system running, which...
  4. Computer Not Restarting Outside of Active Hours Build 1909

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Not Restarting Outside of Active Hours Build 1909: Guys, Ever since build 1803, I have had intermittent issues with my computer not restarting once Active Hours have ended. My Active Hours are set from 7AM to 1 AM, and around Patch Tuesday, or a day or so later, I correctly get a notice in Action Center that my PC needs to...
  5. Why Are Restarts Outside of Active Hours so Unpredictable?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why Are Restarts Outside of Active Hours so Unpredictable?: Greetings All, I have had really bad frustrations with the unpredictability of Focus Assist and Active Hours ever since build 1809 on Windows 10 and this has now carried over on two PC’s; a Dell Desktop and a Toshiba Laptop. Here are some observations for the Microsoft...
  6. Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting

Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting: My laptop is often left in my work bag overnight, or other places where having said laptop running for hours is not convenient or downright bad for the system. If I get hoe from work and I don't use the laptop that evening, it stays in my backpack all night. There have been...
  7. Active Hours

in Windows 10 Support
    Active Hours: This is part 3 of my "Windows 10 Readiness Questions" thing. Windows doesn't restart outside of Active Hours when you're using the computer, but what if I'm away from it for even an hour? 139662
  8. Computer is Ignoring Restarts When Active Hours End

Computer is Ignoring Restarts When Active Hours End: Opening up a discussion of this issue, I will use a series of numbered steps to follow allow best. 1.) I am running Windows 10 Build 1809. Active Hours are set for 7am-11PM. 2.) I also have "Send notifications when computer needs to be restarted to finish updating"...
  9. Windows Permanently Requesting to Restart Outside of Active Hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Permanently Requesting to Restart Outside of Active Hours: For a few months now my laptop has been incessantly informing me that it will restart outside of active hours to finish installing updates. The problem? The updates fail to install every time, no matter how many restarts it attempts. Given how annoying the occasional...
  10. Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours': Hi, with the anniversary upgrade, an active hours period of up to 12 hours is provided, after which, assuming one's PC is on, it will restart if so required for a Windows update. I realised that programs such as 'Don't Sleep' which optionally block shutdown, hibernate,...