Windows 10: Acute accent key creates double ´´

Discus and support Acute accent key creates double ´´ in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So i'm having this super annoying issue where my acute accent key creates double ´´ But only in office 365 and mozilla products. What's the normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fusk, Jun 20, 2017.

1. fusk Win User

Acute accent key creates double ´´

So i'm having this super annoying issue where my acute accent key creates double ´´ But only in office 365 and mozilla products.
    What's the normal behaviour of the acute accent key? Normally you press it once and nothing appears on screen as it's awaiting the second input, so you press acute accent and then e to get é etc.

I've found older threads on win7 forum and other places with no solution.
    asus tp301ua, with windows 10 x64.

:)

2. Accents stopped working

After updating to version 1709, I cannot type acute accents any longer. I am using English as Windows language, with Latin American keyboard layout. I could type accents as "dead keys" until the update. Now the accents associated with acute and dieresis
    (key next to P key) do not work. Grave and circunflex still work (è, ê; not useful in Spanish, though). If I keep the key pressed for a couple of seconds, a double accent is produced: ´´ and ¨¨. So, the hardware of the key works.

I have tried changing the keyboard to Spanish (Latin American), without solving the problem. I tried several combinations of language and keyboard, without success.

Any suggestion wil be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Guillermo

GuillermoAbramson, Jun 20, 2017
  3. accents

How can I type an accent over a letter? In previous Windows I could select an International keyboard and use two key combinations to get say an acute or a grave accent in French.

David Bailie-988, Jun 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, not a fix, I'm afraid- instead, a pretty much universal rational alternative- freeware

AX - Instant, simple accents and special characters

Choose the language - character set (or add your own); hit a character then your chosen special key and

ç é è û ó all in 11 key strokes I think it was.

Acute accent key creates double ´´ [​IMG]

dalchina, Jun 20, 2017
  5. fusk Win User
    Thanks. But i think i'll wait and see if someone knows what's going on.

6. dalchina New Member
    - do you mean AltGr ?

What's your keyboard set to?

Acute accent key creates double ´´ [​IMG]

The Best Way to Type French Accents on Windows (and Linux)

dalchina, Jun 20, 2017
  7. fusk Win User
    No, i meant acute accent key. Left of backspace.
    It's set to Danish.

8. Bree New Member

That depends entirely on which keyboard layout you are using at present

The ' key can be used when the keyboard is set as English UK International to produce accented characters such as á é and í by first pressing ' followed by the character to be accented. When you press ' initially nothing happens, it's waiting for another key to be pressed.

If you're not used to this behaviour you may press it again thinking you hadn't pressed hard enough first time. Having received a second key press, and not being one that needs an accent, the first ' is now displayed, along with the second key pressed - which happens to be ' too, hence the '' being displayed.

I have a quasi-UK keyboard on my UK laptop - it's basically US with the OEM putting a few stickers on some of the keys to make it 99% UK layout. Mostly it's fine, but I need several keyboard languages installed to get all the keys I need - the \ being unavailable in ENG UK. I switch keyboards with WinKey+Space. I also have ENG US and ENG INTL installed, that last one and its '' is always catching me out. *Smile

According to the link @dalchina gave you...
    ...which explains why you see this behaviour in some apps but not others.

9. fusk Win User
    You do realize i answered my own question ?

fusk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Acute accent key creates double ´´ - Similar Threads - Acute accent key

2. Double accent, no virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double accent, no virus: I'm having a problem with accent in latin american language, when I use it writes 2 accents ´´. My language is latin american Chile, so I change to latin american Mexico and problem resolves, but when I restart I get the problem again and it solves bny changing it back to...
  3. Double accent, no virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double accent, no virus: I'm having a problem with accent in latin american language, when I use it writes 2 accents ´´. My language is latin american Chile, so I change to latin american Mexico and problem resolves, but when I restart I get the problem again and it solves bny changing it back to...
  4. Easy Way to create grave-, acute-, circumflex-, and umlaut accents

Easy Way to create grave-, acute-, circumflex-, and umlaut accents: Good dayI set up my laptop to be able to quickly type special characters, i.e. grave-, acute-, circumflex-, and umlaut accents, it worked fantastic. I have a new laptop now and cannot remember how I did it, I could not find anything on the internet – very frustrating!ë...
  5. Easy Way to create grave-, acute-, circumflex-, and umlaut accents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Easy Way to create grave-, acute-, circumflex-, and umlaut accents: Good dayI set up my laptop to be able to quickly type special characters, i.e. grave-, acute-, circumflex-, and umlaut accents, it worked fantastic. I have a new laptop now and cannot remember how I did it, I could not find anything on the internet – very frustrating!ë...
  6. Easy Way to create grave-, acute-, circumflex-, and umlaut accents

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Double accents ~ ´ and ^ only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double accents ~ ´ and ^ only: Hello,I regularly use the French France and Portuguese Portugal layout so that I have fast access to the keyboard layout and accents for those languages. I have no other languages installed on my version of Windows 10. The issue I'm having started about a month ago....
  8. Double accents ~ ´ and ^ only

Double accents ~ ´ and ^ only: Hello,I regularly use the French France and Portuguese Portugal layout so that I have fast access to the keyboard layout and accents for those languages. I have no other languages installed on my version of Windows 10. The issue I'm having started about a month ago....
  9. Letter a with acute accent missing.

in Windows 10 Support
    Letter a with acute accent missing.: I have a Thinkpad 540p laptop with Win 10 ver 2004, 64 bit, a UK qwerty keyboard with UK English as the main language and Spanish Espaol as an additional language. Both languages are set to use the UK qwerty keyboard. Acute-accented vowels are normally produced using AltGr...
  10. How to remap grave accent to acute accent

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remap grave accent to acute accent: I still don't know how to do this, even after trying various softwares on the web. I need specifically to reassign the ´ (acute ) to the ` (grave) key in a USA keyboard. In all programs, I can find easily the grave, but they don't show the acute as an option. On...