Windows 10: Acute child gaming addiction vs Microsoft Policy (aaaggghhh!!)

Discus and support Acute child gaming addiction vs Microsoft Policy (aaaggghhh!!) in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi All First time question from me and it's not straightforward, but I'll try to be as succinct as I can.... My partner’s 12 year old son has an... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Stu_Lopher, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Acute child gaming addiction vs Microsoft Policy (aaaggghhh!!)

Hi All

First time question from me and it's not straightforward, but I'll try to be as succinct as I can....

My partner’s 12 year old son has an acute gaming addiction (Fortnite, etc.). They live in Finland, me in the UK so I'm largely trying to deal with the issue from 1300 miles away.

- He oroginally set up his MS account as an adult, and him as administrator on his (Windows 10) PC.

- In order to try and help deal with his addiction I removed him as admin, made his mother admin, ‘cancelled’ his falsely created MS adult account, created a new MS child account, invited the child to join the group via the mother’s account, accepted the invite and set up gaming restriction times.

This has not solved anything because:

- MS policy provides an account ‘cool-off period’ of at least 30 days, even though the adult account was created by a child.

- Changing the adult account to a child account does not help because MS recognises the original adult account only.

- You cannot change the password during the 'cool off period' so the child still has full access

- If you log in and use the account at any time during the cool off period it voids the original account closure request, so the kid logs in and it's happy days for him. Having dealt with probably around ten MS agents across many hours in the last month, not ONE alerted me to this until today.

Apparently the only option is to raise it with MS engineers, but today's agent deleted the dialogue before I could record how to do so! Before doing so he did acknowledge that many agents won't have had any experience with this issue, hence why I've been given so much conflicting information.

Meanwhile my partner - a single working mother with two other challenging kids in another country - is trying to single-handedly tackle acute gaming addiction that is severely affecting her 12 year old son's education: caused in part by some twisted 'Groundhog Day' Microsoft policy that blindly seeks account retention regardless of the circumstance.

Any advice and guidance on how to pursue this issue would be much appreciated, folks.

Best Wishes

Stu

:)

Stu_Lopher, Oct 30, 2018

2. Acute child gaming addiction vs Microsoft Policy (aaaggghhh!!)

Hi All

First time question from me and it's not straightforward, but I'll try to be as succinct as I can....

My partner’s 12 year old son has an acute gaming addiction (Fortnite, etc.). They live in Finland, me in the UK so I'm largely trying to deal with the issue from 1300 miles away.

- He oroginally set up his MS account as an adult, and him as administrator on his (Windows 10) PC.

- In order to try and help deal with his addiction I removed him as admin, made his mother admin, ‘cancelled’ his falsely created MS adult account, created a new MS child account, invited the child to join the group via the mother’s account, accepted
    the invite and set up gaming restriction times.

This has not solved anything because:

- MS policy provides an account ‘cool-off period’ of at least 30 days, even though the adult account was created by a child.

- Changing the adult account to a child account does not help because MS recognises the original adult account only.

- You cannot change the password during the 'cool off period' so the child still has full access

- If you log in and use the account at any time during the cool off period it voids the original account closure request, so the kid logs in and it's happy days for him. Having dealt with probably around ten MS agents across many hours in the last
    month, not ONE alerted me to this until today.

Apparently the only option is to raise it with MS engineers, but today's agent deleted the dialogue before I could record how to do so! Before doing so he did acknowledge that many agents won't have had any experience with this issue, hence why I've
    been given so much conflicting information.

Meanwhile my partner - a single working mother with two other challenging kids in another country - is trying to single-handedly tackle acute gaming addiction that is severely affecting her 12 year old son's education: caused in part by some twisted
    'Groundhog Day' Microsoft policy that blindly seeks account retention regardless of the circumstance.

Any advice and guidance on how to pursue this issue would be much appreciated, folks.

Best Wishes

Stu

Stu_Lopher, Oct 30, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Acute child gaming addiction vs Microsoft Policy (aaaggghhh!!)

Your friend is not going to have it easy no matter what, because fundamentally, game providers don't give a d*mn about protecting our children. Same for other content providers like YouTube, Spotify, Facebook, etc. There's no money in protecting children.

From a technical perspective, there's a great deal of third-party parental control software from developers who do this for a living (so expect to pay.) I actually found that European developers did a much better job at this - they must have stricter laws
    over there. (I'm writing from the US.)

As for Microsoft's policies ... you may as well forget about it. They have millions of different peoples' opinions to deal with.

BulldogXX, Oct 30, 2018
  4. Acute child gaming addiction vs Microsoft Policy (aaaggghhh!!)

Thanks for the response BulldogXX, much appreciated.

To clarify, I suppose I'm asking two different things: how best to control the gaming from a tech perspective, and secondly how best to pursue Microsoft's flagrant 'inability' to deal with a kid setting up an adult account, and the associated consequences.

It took a twelve year old approximately five seconds to set up an adult account (date of birth entry), yet trying to unpick the consequences of those five seconds appear insurmountable. That's not right, so in my view Microsoft does have a responsibility
    to answer for this.

My primary question then, is how can I pose that question to Microsoft in the most constructive way.

Cheers

Stu

Stu_Lopher, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Acute child gaming addiction vs Microsoft Policy (aaaggghhh!!) - Similar Threads - Acute child gaming

2. LastPass vs. Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LastPass vs. Microsoft: I've used LastPass for many years, first free then paid. Recently I added Microsoft's AutoFill to the mix, and it hasn't really caused any problems running both. My subscription to LastPass is about up, and I'm not sure if I should renew it, or just go completely with...
  3. LastPass vs. Microsoft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LastPass vs. Microsoft: I've used LastPass for many years, first free then paid. Recently I added Microsoft's AutoFill to the mix, and it hasn't really caused any problems running both. My subscription to LastPass is about up, and I'm not sure if I should renew it, or just go completely with...
  4. Microsoft Store policy

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store policy: So the Microsoft Store app on my computer wouldn't open and was "Blocked by an administrator." I tried several ways to solve this, from trying to uninstall and reinstall the app which the same policies are preventing me from reinstalling, using PowerShell, using wsreset.exe,...
  5. Rockstar Game Launcher vs Microsoft Surface Pro X

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rockstar Game Launcher vs Microsoft Surface Pro X: I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 and absolutely loved it! But I decided I wanted 4G capibility. So I decided to return it and purchase the Microsoft Surface Pro X. When I downloaded Rockstar Game Launcher on the 7, everything ran flawlessly! When I tried downloading it...
  6. Letter a with acute accent missing.

in Windows 10 Support
    Letter a with acute accent missing.: I have a Thinkpad 540p laptop with Win 10 ver 2004, 64 bit, a UK qwerty keyboard with UK English as the main language and Spanish Espaol as an additional language. Both languages are set to use the UK qwerty keyboard. Acute-accented vowels are normally produced using AltGr...
  7. Child Microsoft Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Child Microsoft Account: HI I set up a child account with the correct birthdate that shows my childs age as 12y old - however it lists him as an Adult - How do I change him to a child. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/child-microsoft-account/deed6fb6-15a1-4b74-b6f5-6d4a1cd23d5f"
  8. Acute child gaming addiction/fraudulent account vs Microsoft Policy (aaaggghhh!!)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Acute child gaming addiction/fraudulent account vs Microsoft Policy (aaaggghhh!!): Hi All First time question from me and it's not straightforward, but I'll try to be as succinct as I can.... My partner’s 12 year old son has an acute gaming addiction (Fortnite, etc.). They live in Finland, me in the UK so I'm largely trying to deal with the issue from...
  9. Settings App vs. Group Policy Editor Re: Telemetry

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings App vs. Group Policy Editor Re: Telemetry: Is it necessary to also change settings in the Group Policy Editor if I have already done so in the settings app. Looking at this link this morning: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/03/12/co...ry-windows-10/ and in the settings app diagnostics is set to basic. Do I also need...
  10. Gaming addiction classified as disorder by WHO

in Windows 10 News
    Gaming addiction classified as disorder by WHO: Its 11th International Classification of Diseases (ICD) will include the condition "gaming disorder". The draft document describes it as a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behaviour so severe that it takes "precedence over other life interests". Some countries...