Windows 10: adamax keylogger - regedit will not run

Discus and support adamax keylogger - regedit will not run in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hit by some ugly malware that seems to prevent me from running regedit or malwarebytes. gangnamgame.net pops up after a reboot as well as adamax... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by byounker, Sep 15, 2015.

1. byounker Win User

adamax keylogger - regedit will not run

Hit by some ugly malware that seems to prevent me from running regedit or malwarebytes. gangnamgame.net pops up after a reboot as well as adamax keylogger.When I try to run either one of them nothing at all happens. No errors, no window or anything. The spyware is adamax keylogger which I only know because it shows up every time in the task window and gangnamgame.net launches itself in firefox. I need to run regedit to remove it but I'm guessing the malware itself is what is preventing me from doing so.

I'm not a pc novice and am very aware of all of the BS out there but this one has really done me in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

byounker, Sep 15, 2015
  2. CarolLJ Win User
    CarolLJ, Sep 15, 2015
  3. #D09r Dinesh, Sep 15, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Try one of the fixes listed here & see if one of these will restore access to the registry. If you have no luck with this in normal mode, you may wish to try some of these scanners/suggestions in safe mode.

5 Ways To Re-enable Registry Editor When Disabled By Virus

Another suggestion is to use RKill to try & terminate the process, then run malware scanners to try to remove it. Do NOT reboot after running RKill.

RKill Download

Suggested scanners would be Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner & TDSSKiller to be sure you don't have a rootkit.

Another option is the one listed here, d/l Autoruns by Sysinternals & use the program to kill it from there.

Remove gangnamgame.net pop-up on startup (Uninstall Guide)

Other Sysinternals tools that may help.

RegJump

Process Explorer

Process Explorer

Borg 386, Sep 15, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    Wow! Pretty comprehensive answer. Nice post!

@byounker,
    Please take note that some of the 'smarter' infections may attempt to prevent you from downloading or installing the necessary tools for disinfection. In which case you would need to rename the file in question to fool the infection into thinking it is ok.

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    *Ditto

@byounker,
    I might add, if you need to, there is a rescue disk available from Kaspersky which runs at boot (outside the OS) and may help clear things up enough for you to get control again.

simrick, Sep 16, 2015
  7. Borg 386 Win User
    Yepperz, good point. I forgot to mention RKill is available to d/l with different file names to allow it to run when some of these PIA's have blocked certain files from running.

Borg 386, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. adamax keylogger - regedit will not run - Similar Threads - adamax keylogger regedit

2. Icons stacked and can't run regedit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons stacked and can't run regedit: I'm running windows 11 s mode and the icons on my desktop are stacked. I tried to follow the suggested solution on another thread but I can't run regedit. When I try, I get a big blue dialog box that says "For security and performance this mode of windows only runs microsoft...
  3. Icons stacked and can't run regedit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons stacked and can't run regedit: I'm running windows 11 s mode and the icons on my desktop are stacked. I tried to follow the suggested solution on another thread but I can't run regedit. When I try, I get a big blue dialog box that says "For security and performance this mode of windows only runs microsoft...
  4. Enable keyloggers win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable keyloggers win11: Good morning.I learned that Windows 11 already has a keylogger built into the operating system.I'm managing a PC that I often find modified with malfunctions, therefore, it would be useful for me to understand what was done and at what times.However, I don't know how to...
  5. Enable keyloggers win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable keyloggers win11: Good morning.I learned that Windows 11 already has a keylogger built into the operating system.I'm managing a PC that I often find modified with malfunctions, therefore, it would be useful for me to understand what was done and at what times.However, I don't know how to...
  6. Keylogger or uh.. logger?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Keylogger or uh.. logger?: So I use AVG, one of the features is blocking "risky connections" and such. A 'warning' pops up when a risky connection a blocked so it can lul you into buying the PRO version. Then I seen that a risky connection was blocked to something called zennolab, never heard of it,...
  7. Getting Rid of a Keylogger

Getting Rid of a Keylogger: Whilst roaming about the net, I seem to have picked up a keylogger. I know this because I got an email today with my user name and a valid password for a site I frequent in the subject line. The email is threatening me with embarrassing details being broadcast to everyone in...
  8. Identifing Keylogger

Identifing Keylogger: 1. How can I identify if there is a keylogger installed in my PC? 2. To what extent SAFE MODE (with networking) will protect from keylogger. 3. Antivirus will only detect a known keylogger not a custom built. 4. How can I be certain that Microsoft itself is not a keylogger or...
  9. Keyloggers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Keyloggers: Clarify the terminology of containing the directory " And " Intended to contain directory " I got this from this site. https://norfolkinfosec.com/tag/hsmbalance-exe/...
  10. regedit not open from run command

in Windows 10 Support
    regedit not open from run command: When I bring up the run command (Win+R) and enter regedit or regedit.exe. It does not open. If I enter C:\Windows\regedit.exe, it opens. All other exe files in the windows directory opens fine except for regedit. Windows and System32 folders were missing in the...