Windows 10: add a network location: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid"

Discus and support add a network location: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A coworker is trying to map to a folder on a server running SBS 2011. He's running Windows 10, as am I. He is in a different location, in a different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AmyHughes1, Jan 17, 2019.

1. add a network location: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid"

A coworker is trying to map to a folder on a server running SBS 2011. He's running Windows 10, as am I. He is in a different location, in a different state. The server is in his building.

Using his login credentials for the server I'm able to add a network location that looks like this:

\\192.168.1.4\images

He is not. He gets "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid".

He is able to see the web page running on that server:

https://192.168.1.4

so it appears that he is able to see the machine.

From the command prompt

net use S: \\192.168.1.4

works for me, and for him it gives error 53.

I have admin access to the server. The folder is shared with everyone, read/write access. Other people, including me, and also me using his credentials, are able to see the folder. He's sharing screen shots, so I know he's typing or copy/pasting correctly, including the backslashes.

Any ideas?

Does his own machine need to be set for private network profile?

:)

AmyHughes1, Jan 17, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Jan 17, 2019
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

add a network location: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid" [​IMG]

mrgeek, Jan 17, 2019
  4. SW_DW Win User

add a network location: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid"

Unable to add webserver as network location in Windows 10

I attempted to add a college classweb server by using the network location wizard. It worked once, but then I tried to recreate my steps by uninstalling it and reinstalling it. When I attempted to reinstall it the second time, I now get an error message
    that the folder doesn't appear to be valid. The folder is valid and my college tech support has even remoted in and attempted to create it. Why won't the custom folder in the wizard recognize it?

***Original title: Add a Network Location windows 10***

***Moved from: Windows 10/Files, folders, & storage***

SW_DW, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

add a network location: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid"

1. add a network location: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid" - Similar Threads - add network location

2. "The CD key you entered is not valid"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "The CD key you entered is not valid": I'm using VMware Workstation 16 ProI entered the product key then it says:"The CD key you entered is not valid"can you help me please?I'm currently using virtual machine....
  3. "The CD key you entered is not valid"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "The CD key you entered is not valid": I'm using VMware Workstation 16 ProI entered the product key then it says:"The CD key you entered is not valid"can you help me pleaseI'm currently using virtual machine...
  4. Add a network location ERROR: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add a network location ERROR: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please...: I have recently added a network location on a local PC windows 10 with the shared folder test folder and test user located on Windows Server 2012 R2. It worked perfectly fine with the test folder. I then went on to add a drive to the server and added the actual file I wanted...
  5. Add Network Location (Not Responding)

Add Network Location (Not Responding): Attempting to add an network location using that feature of Explorer in Win 10 1909 18363.720. After input of network path location and selecting Next the wizard stops becoming unresponsive, and shows in title bar (Not Responding). I have waited as much as 30 minutes but the...
  6. Add a network location

Add a network location: I have two Win 10 Pro 1909 computers on same LAN and some tasks I do on one and others on the second. Occasionally, I need to pull files from one to the other but not often. So I decided to add a specific folder on one using "Add a network location". Got the IP address...
  7. failing to add webserver as network location

failing to add webserver as network location: I failed to add a college class webserver as network location. Once I’ve managed to add it, but then the webserver disappeared from the network location. I tried to add it for the second time but received an error message that the folder doesn't appear to be valid. However,...
  8. Add a Network Location windows 10

Add a Network Location windows 10: I attempted to add a college classweb server by using the network location wizard. It worked once, but then I tried to recreate my steps by uninstalling it and reinstalling it. When I attempted to reinstall it the second time, I now get an error message that the folder...
  9. Add a Network Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add a Network Location in Windows 10: How to: Add a Network Location in Windows 10 How to Add a Network Location to This PC in Windows 10 [img] Information When you add a network location, you are creating a shortcut in This PC to an Internet storage location, such as a website or FTP site. A network...
  10. Location tab does not appear

in Windows 10 Support
    Location tab does not appear: Hello everyone, On some folders the Location tab does not appear. I try to change the location of onedrive folder tab but the location is not displayed. Do you know why ? 30610

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the folder you entered does not appear valid

2. add network location the folder you entered does not appear to be valid

3. the folder you entered does not appear to be valid

4. windows 10 the folder you entered does not appear to be valid,
  5. Windows 10 add network location the folder you entered does not appear to be valid. please choose another,
  6. smartcard the flder you entered does not appear to be valid please choose another,
  7. add network drive the folder you entered does not appear to be valid,
  8. windows 10 network location does not appear to be valid,
  9. the folder name you put in does not seem to be valid - sharepoint,
  10. add network location folder seems not to be valid,
  11. network location The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another,
  12. add network location the folder does not appear to be valid windows 10,
  13. map network drive folder does appear to be valid,
  14. adding a network location wizard doesnt like the internet or network address i entered,
  15. THe folder you added does not appear to be valid