Windows 10: Add a network location

Discus and support Add a network location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Win 10 Pro 1909 computers on same LAN and some tasks I do on one and others on the second. Occasionally, I need to pull files from one to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbobs, Jan 28, 2020.

1. jimbobs Win User

Add a network location

I have two Win 10 Pro 1909 computers on same LAN and some tasks I do on one and others on the second. Occasionally, I need to pull files from one to the other but not often. So I decided to add a specific folder on one using "Add a network location". Got the IP address correct, changed the permissions on the target folder, ran the wizard and all was good.

However, when I try to access the remote folder, I get a "You do not have permission to access ....".

I'm guessing I need to change some other permissions on the remote computer but thought I'd already done that. Is there an easy way to determine what permissions need to be changed?

:)

jimbobs, Jan 28, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

add a network location windows 10

Hi Erich,

Adding a network place in Windows allows you to access FTP, Windows file shares, and some HTTP servers directly in My Network Places, without having to use an FTP client.
    To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you tried adding a network location?
    • Are you trying to add a network location or map a network drive?

Meanwhile, if you're adding a network location, we suggest that you follow these steps below about adding a network location:

• Open This PC in File Explorer, click on the Computer tab, click on the
      Add a network location button in the ribbon.
    • Click on Next in the Add Network Location wizard.
    • Click on Choose a custom network location, and click on
      Next
    • Type the address of the website, FTP site, or network location you want to add, and click on
      Next.
    • If you are allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, click on
      Next
    • Type a name you want for this network location in This PC, and click on
      Next
    • If you are not allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, then uncheck the
      Log on anonymously box, enter the user name for the network location, and click on
      Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • If you could not log on anonymously to this network location, you will see a
      Log On As
      dialog prompting you to enter the user name and password for this network location. Check the
      Save password box if you do not want to be required to type the user name and password every time you access this network location. Click on
      Log On when finished.
    • The network location will now open.

If you're mapping a network, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to map a network drive.

Let us know if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Changing Network Location on Windows 10

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

In order to connect or join Homegroup your connection should be set in public network. Make sure the network discovery is turned ON.

Go to Control Panel> All control panel items> Network and sharing center> Advanced Sharing settings to turn ON Network Discovery.

I suggest you to once run the in-built Network troubleshooter by following the steps below.

• Type “troubleshooting” in the search box and press Enter.

• Click on “View all” on the top left corner.

• Click on “Network Adapter” and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.
    Hope the information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Jan 28, 2020
  4. Add a network location

why is Network and Sharing center saying my personal home network location is "public network"?

Hi Christs,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

Do let us know what is the exact issue you are facing with accessing the home network on your device?

If you are wishing to change the home network location from public to private, try the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Press Windows key + r and type secpol.msc.
    • Now click on Network list manager policy.
    • Double click on Network in the right pane.
    • Go to Network location tab, here you can manually change the network location
      from Private to Public and vice versa.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

Add a network location

1. Add a network location - Similar Threads - Add network location

2. Error when I tried to add a network location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error when I tried to add a network location: Hi,I´ve been trying to add a network location and windows don´t allow me to do it, I´ve received below message"The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another."Other people can add and access to the same network location without issues...
  3. Error when I tried to add a network location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when I tried to add a network location: Hi,I´ve been trying to add a network location and windows don´t allow me to do it, I´ve received below message"The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another."Other people can add and access to the same network location without issues...
  4. Error when I tried to add a network location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Add Network Location (Not Responding)

Add Network Location (Not Responding): Attempting to add an network location using that feature of Explorer in Win 10 1909 18363.720. After input of network path location and selecting Next the wizard stops becoming unresponsive, and shows in title bar (Not Responding). I have waited as much as 30 minutes but the...
  6. Add Network Location - CMD / Command Line

Add Network Location - CMD / Command Line: Is there a way to "add a network location" in CMD? The wizard tool allows for path renaming, I'd like to run a one line command similar to 'net use' that creates the share location without the drive limiter. Has anyone come across a command to do so? I believe the wizard...
  7. failing to add webserver as network location

failing to add webserver as network location: I failed to add a college class webserver as network location. Once I’ve managed to add it, but then the webserver disappeared from the network location. I tried to add it for the second time but received an error message that the folder doesn't appear to be valid. However,...
  8. Unable to add webserver as network location in Windows 10

Unable to add webserver as network location in Windows 10: I attempted to add a college classweb server by using the network location wizard. It worked once, but then I tried to recreate my steps by uninstalling it and reinstalling it. When I attempted to reinstall it the second time, I now get an error message that the folder...
  9. Add a Network Location windows 10

Add a Network Location windows 10: I attempted to add a college classweb server by using the network location wizard. It worked once, but then I tried to recreate my steps by uninstalling it and reinstalling it. When I attempted to reinstall it the second time, I now get an error message that the folder...
  10. Add a Network Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add a Network Location in Windows 10: How to: Add a Network Location in Windows 10 How to Add a Network Location to This PC in Windows 10 [img] Information When you add a network location, you are creating a shortcut in This PC to an Internet storage location, such as a website or FTP site. A network...