Windows 10: Add a new disk and move windows to the new disk, will I needs reactivation windows?

Discus and support Add a new disk and move windows to the new disk, will I needs reactivation windows? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 LTSC 2019 installed on my computer, It licensed with a key not digital license The hard drive where windows on is a SMR hard disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SakuraKoi, Feb 17, 2020.

1. SakuraKoi Win User

Add a new disk and move windows to the new disk, will I needs reactivation windows?

I have Windows 10 LTSC 2019 installed on my computer, It licensed with a key not digital license

The hard drive where windows on is a SMR hard disk and it is too slow, I'm planning add a SSD and clone whole windows partition to SSD, The old HDD will still connected to computer.

Now im worring about the license, will i needs reactivation Windows after boot from the new SSD?
    And also will i needs reactivation Windows after removing the old HDD from my computer?

:)

SakuraKoi, Feb 17, 2020
  2. RoboX Win User

How to eliminate Windows from disk

I installed windows on a hard disk on which were present stored data, without formatting the disk and then leaving the data there. I would now like to uninstall / remove windows and installed folders, without formatting the disk as they are always present stored data.

RoboX, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Disk bloat in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Is it my imagination, or does the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update consume an additional 20-30GB of disk space over the previous Creators Update release? Unfortunately, I didn't log my disk usage before the upgrade, but now my C: drive has 56GB of stuff, and I know it wasn't anywhere near that full before. I've run "Disk Cleanup -> Clean up system files" and selected everything on the list, including remove previous version of Windows. I also emptied my Recycle Bin, my Temp folder, \Windows\Temp folder, and \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Finally, I ran Wise Disk Cleaner to delete assorted application garbage.

Has anyone else noticed the bloat in Fall Creators Update?

Static~Charge, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Add a new disk and move windows to the new disk, will I needs reactivation windows?

I put in a new SSD, copied my old disk using Samsungs SW, and want to make my original disk a second disk.

I run Windows 10 and have just had the same problem.

A technet blog (Fixing Disk Signature Collisions) says the following of the above suggested solution::

"When you chose the Online menu option, Windows will without warning generate a new random disk signature and assign it to the disk by writing it to the MBR. It will then be able
    to process the MBR and mount the volumes present, but when Windows updates the disk signature, the BCD entries become orphaned, linked with the previous disk signature, not the new one. The boot loader will fail to locate the specified disk and boot files
    when booting from the disk and give up, reporting the following error:"

My question, multi-part, therefore, before I try the above solution, is this:

• The above blog is from 2011, and most of the reports I've read precede Windows 10 so that I'd hope MS would have corrected the deficiency by now. Is the above quote still valid (for Win10) or has Win10 corrected it?

• If it is still true, I read it to say only that you can't boot from that disk. Apparently you could boot the machine from a different boot disk with that disk attached?

• If it is true, is the procedure described in the technet blog still valid, or no?

TryingTiara62, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

Add a new disk and move windows to the new disk, will I needs reactivation windows?

1. Add a new disk and move windows to the new disk, will I needs reactivation windows? - Similar Threads - Add disk move

2. Windows boot manager - Add new disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows boot manager - Add new disk: Hi team. Can you bring me some documentation. I have a win10 installed in a M2-nvm disk The BIOS only shows me one option to boot: Windows boot manager. I want to add another disk and install Linux. So then I'd like to choose between the win10 disk and the linux disk. When I...
  3. Windows boot manager - Add new disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows boot manager - Add new disk: Hi team. Can you bring me some documentation. I have a win10 installed in a M2-nvm disk The BIOS only shows me one option to boot: Windows boot manager. I want to add another disk and install Linux. So then I'd like to choose between the win10 disk and the linux disk. When I...
  4. Windows boot manager - Add new disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Unable to add new disks to storage pool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to add new disks to storage pool: I am attempting to add a pair of new disks to a storage pool, but when I do I get the following error: Can't Prepare drives Close all applications that are accessing the drive, and then try again The system cannot find the file specified. 0x00000002 [ATTACH] I notice...
  6. New Motherboard, and I need to reactivate windows 10.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Motherboard, and I need to reactivate windows 10.: Hi to the forum, My old motherboard died on me, and I now have a new one. I've had to reactivate a software licence, and then a message on the screen told me to activate windows. I wasn't expecting this to happen. However, I have logged into my account, and it has told me...
  7. Need to move Windows 10 to new hard disk with drivers

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need to move Windows 10 to new hard disk with drivers: Hi everyone, I have a custom-built windows machine that I now need to sell. It has a number of different components, and the original driver CD's are no longer with me. I would like to move the installation to a new hard disk that I have bought for this purpose (in order to...
  8. New Motherboard need to reactivate windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Motherboard need to reactivate windows: I upgraded my computer a few months ago and its been slow and unable to properly update since. It is my understanding that I need to buy a new windows license for $140. Is there a less expensive way to go this? Or a discount of some kind? I was thinking it would be like...
  9. Transfer Windows to a new disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows to a new disk: I successfully migrated Windows 10 and all my apps to a new SSD in my Dell laptop. It has one strange quirk, however. On reboot, it downs to command line notices, each saying "Checking media... fail."" Then it restarts and works beautifully. What is that all about and how...
  10. Do I need to nominate the boot disk in a new multiple disk system?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I need to nominate the boot disk in a new multiple disk system?: I recently had an ultimately unsolved problem with an existing Win 10 computer when trying to install & use an extra hard drive. I could see the extra drive and could use it normally but only for around a half dozen cold boots of the system. The system would then fail to boot...