Windows 10: Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists

Discus and support Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi guys, Does anyone have a Tutorial, link, or tested ideas on: 1. How to manually add a program to Default Programs List in Win 10, if it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by zamar21, Nov 1, 2015.

1. zamar21 Win User

Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a Tutorial, link, or tested ideas on:

1. How to manually add a program to Default Programs List in Win 10, if it doesn't show up for a current user? I don't want to create a new user account for that even if its possible that way.

2. How to add a new protocol handler app for a listed in Win 10 protocol, if that desktop app isn't shown in its handlers list?

Win 10 Set Associations feature doesn't offer "Look for another app on this PC" option for Protocol Handlers, its only available for File Extension Handlers. This method doesn't seem to work anymore, possibly due to added app hash requirements in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\URLAssociations\*​protocol*\UserCho ice" key.

3. How to add a new protocol manually in Win 10? For that question, MS seems to give a direct answer for programmers, not sure if relevant to Win 10 though. But if a certain program failed to add its protocol correctly at install, how a user can fix that - any tools, apart from checking mentioned Registry keys manually? More links are given here.

:)

zamar21, Nov 1, 2015
  2. sambul72 Win User

When trying to set Protocol Handler in Chrome, (for Bitcoin, Gmail, Etc) Windows gives me a dialog box that states "To change your default apps, go to Settings > System > Default Apps"

"I was able to do this by adding a Key to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT in the registry..."

And that's it? Would you share how exactly did you do it step-by-step? Show an example others can learn from, instead of following the same low standards you rejected above. Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists :)

You asked a valid question: How a user can manually add a new protocol or protocol handler installed on a local PC to Win 10 Default Apps & Protocol Associations List? That would be needed, if the protocol handler is already installed or available,
    but the protocol or handler is not listed in Win 10 defaults. Were is your detail answer using BitCoin as a new protocol example? May be MS employees can provide it?

A few links I can suggest, though some info might have limited or no applicability to Win 10:

Registering a protocol handler in Windows 8

How to register a protocol for a .Net app under Windows 10?

Application Registration
    Installing
    and Registering Protocol Handlers

Restore Default File Associations in Win 8.1

Setting
    Default Program/Protocol Associations with DISM

Yet another simple approach that worked for me was uninstalling all desktop and modern apps handling a certain protocol as traced in Registry including the default app, and THEN reinstalling the app I wanted to handle that protocol
    by default instead. Thorough Registry cleanup may be done in-between.

sambul72, Nov 1, 2015
  3. When trying to set Protocol Handler in Chrome, (for Bitcoin, Gmail, Etc) Windows gives me a dialog box that states "To change your default apps, go to Settings > System > Default Apps"

I have the same issue.

I would like to choose a default program for a protocol. However I can't choose my desired program from the list. How van I add a program to the list?

Maximus Naxsus, Nov 1, 2015
Thema:

Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists

1. Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists - Similar Threads - Add program Default

2. add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS: What does this mean? Create an association in the Default Programs on control panel. Cannot send emails becacause of :"no email associationto perform this action"........Have been using the same email address for years..but cannot send emails from certain sites like...
  3. add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Customization
    add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS: What does this mean? Create an association in the Default Programs on control panel. Cannot send emails becacause of :"no email associationto perform this action"........Have been using the same email address for years..but cannot send emails from certain sites like...
  4. add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  6. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  7. How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program?: [ATTACH] It would seem that I cannot change the default handler for magnet protocol despite already have installed FreeDownloadManager Yes, I did reinstalled....
  8. want to uninstall program that was not listed in add remove program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    want to uninstall program that was not listed in add remove program: while I was installing and uninstalling camtasia software there was a problem that prevents me from uninstalling first the program. then remove it and when i want to setup it again, error code 350...
  9. How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?

How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?: I'm trying to add my own program (AkelPad) to the list of Default programs. [img] I created and applied the reg-file, but the program still is not in the list. Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AkelPad\Capabilities]...
  10. Any way to add programs to default list?

Any way to add programs to default list?: I use Eudora 7.1 for email in Windows 10. It's an old program that is no longer supported; however, it works perfectly. But it's not showing as my default email program and isn't listed among available choices. Is there any way to add it to the list so I can make it the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install protocol handler windows 10

2. windows 10 protocol handlers

3. no protocol handler is available. install a protocol handler

4. windows list protocol handlers,
  5. add programs to handlers list windows 10