Windows 10: Add a Program to Open With Drop Down Menu?

Discus and support Add a Program to Open With Drop Down Menu? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I downloaded Ruffle to be able to run Flash files if needed, and wanted to associate the .swf file type with the program. Ruffle comes as a portable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Chakiki, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Add a Program to Open With Drop Down Menu?

I downloaded Ruffle to be able to run Flash files if needed, and wanted to associate the .swf file type with the program. Ruffle comes as a portable .exe so I've had to set up the associations manually.

I've managed to associate the file with a ProgID in the registry and have it open by default. I've even been able to add Ruffle to the Open With > Choose another app menu in the registry. However I can't seem to be able to add the program to the right click Open With menu.

I've undone my changes and started again, focusing just on adding the program to the Open With menu, to track my changes. I've exported the changes and pasted them below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ruffle.exe] @="C:\\Program Files\\Ruffle\\ruffle.exe" "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Ruffle" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\ruffle.exe] "FriendlyAppName"="Ruffle" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\ruffle.exe\Shell\Open\command] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Ruffle\\ruffle.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\ruffle.exe\SupportedTypes] ".swf"="" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.swf\OpenWithList\ruffle.exe] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.swf\OpenWithList] "e"="ruffle.exe" "MRUList"="eabcd"

As before, the program shows up as an option when clicking Choose another app, but it won't show in the Open With menu. I think it must have something to do with the last key above, does anyone know where that key looks for referenced programs? I would have thought HKCR\Applications\ruffle.exe but that has been created above? Does anyone have any ideas?

submitted by /u/Chakiki
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Chakiki, Feb 24, 2021
  2. Callender Win User

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

You can't use it to add additional programs, only to set default programs.

Interestingly for me it shows nothing for text files:

Add a Program to Open With Drop Down Menu? [​IMG]

Then if I want to add a portable app like Jarte Plus to open with context menu windows doesn't like it.

It's not present and is near impossible to add even via "look for an app on this PC"

OpenWithAdd to the rescue:

Result:

Callender, Feb 24, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Yep, I see the same.

I tried adding Paint to Open With for txt. That also appeared in the More Options list.

I suspect it's to do with what the programs are registered to handle. The Open With list is constructed form a number of sources e.g. at least these:

The first of those corresponds to Snip & Sketch (simply search and find refs to the Appx string)

dalchina, Feb 24, 2021
  4. Naki Win User

Add a Program to Open With Drop Down Menu?

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

Add a Program to Open With Drop Down Menu?

1. Add a Program to Open With Drop Down Menu? - Similar Threads - Add Program Open

2. Drop down menu flickering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drop down menu flickering: I tried many ways nothing worked excpet this..Disconnect the keyboard and or touch pad from themotherboard. Replace new or start using usb keyboard/mouse. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drop-down-menu-flickering/95e5827b-cbb9-41d7-8bc6-c15463edaa84
  3. Drop-Down Menu Not Appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drop-Down Menu Not Appearing: Hi, Microsoft Community! I've just stumbled upon an issue with my Windows laptop where nothing happens when I right-click my mouse. Usually, this prompts the drop-down menu. I'm also no longer able to copy anything using the highlight method since the highlighting doesn't...
  4. Drop-Down Menu Not Appearing

Drop-Down Menu Not Appearing: Hi, Microsoft Community! I've just stumbled upon an issue with my Windows laptop where nothing happens when I right-click my mouse. Usually, this prompts the drop-down menu. I'm also no longer able to copy anything using the highlight method since the highlighting doesn't...
  5. Drop-Down Menu Not Appearing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. How to Add or customize "Open With" drop down menu list in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Add or customize "Open With" drop down menu list in Windows 10?: How to Add or customize "Open With" drop down menu list in Windows 10? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-or-customize-open-with-drop-down-menu/3e73664f-65cf-4a52-886a-6656c1b1b4dc
  7. itunes option missing in "open with" drop down menu

itunes option missing in "open with" drop down menu: How do i get the iTunes option in the drop down menu "open with" when i right click on a video file ? It used to be there to select. i do not know what happened to it....
  8. Drop down menu / Autoscroll

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drop down menu / Autoscroll: Recently I noticed that when I right click, instead of a drop down menu, the auto scroll function activates. At first I thought this was a word issue but then I noticed that it occurred anywhere where I could use the scrolling function. For example when in a word document, or...
  9. Pull-down or Drop-down Menu?

in Browsers and Email
    Pull-down or Drop-down Menu?: I decided to uninstall Firefox after the entries in the Favorites doubled. (Example: the Yahoo Mail sign-in page appears twice in the list. Deleting one also deletes the other.) I have been looking for browsers with pull-down or drop-down menus but could only find...
  10. Open with drop down menu ALWAYS opens to the left

in Windows 10 Support
    Open with drop down menu ALWAYS opens to the left: Hello , please help resolve this annoying issue When selecting a file and open with , there is a drop down menu that to my knowledge by default open always to the right in Windows, but not if it too far right on the screen then it opens to the left . But in my...