Windows 10: Add alias not working

Discus and support Add alias not working in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So, apparently my microsoft account alias is an email address which has since been deleted, therefore I want to add another alias and make that one my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by seb.kosterseb.koster, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Add alias not working

So, apparently my microsoft account alias is an email address which has since been deleted, therefore I want to add another alias and make that one my primary alias since apparently I have only one alias, so I ican't just delete the old address. I have 3 other email addresses, 2 personal, 1 for work. If I try to add the one for work it says: "no, can't do, needs to be a personal email address". Okay, fair, so I type in one of my personal ones, same error... how, why? Can't I just tell microsoft that's a personal one, not a work one? Alright, next address... already in use. Which I find weird, since it just told me that I can't delete the other one, since it is the only one. When I go to support I just can send on a wild goose chase while getting **** over at every turn, so absolutely no help there. Also, of course this question does not belong to any of the categories that microsoft so desperately wants me to assign it to, because why would they add a 'account and privacy' category or something, so I'll just pick one at random...

:)

seb.kosterseb.koster, Mar 17, 2020

2. I would like to change my windows live account which was a vz email acct that now has an outlook.com alias and start over with only a windows live login/ no alias.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I will certainly help you.

Let us try the following steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Remove an alias

I suggest you to refer to the section Remove an alias from your account from the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/outlook/add-alias-account

Step 2: To create a new account.

• Click on Go to Outloo.com on this page.
    • Click on Sign up now.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist you

Abdul_Malik, Mar 17, 2020
  3. Domain alias

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer the following questions so that we can help you.

• Which domain alias are you referring to?

• How did you delete your domain alias?
    Your question does not contain all the required information needed for us to help you. I suggest you to provide more details regarding the issue you’re facing, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Mar 17, 2020
  4. Milas Win User

Add alias not working

Hosts File Alias not working with File Share

I can set an alias in the hosts file on a win7 machine and access it just fine but doing the same in Win10 prompts for creds that never work even when entered correctly.
    What did win10 change?

hosts file entry:
    127.0.0.1 hostname alias

\\ip - works fine
    \\hostname -works fine
    \\alias - Prompts for creds and creds don't work

I have gone to the extent of fully disabling UAC from reg, same outcome. Network and file sharing is set to password access and not homegroup. Simple file sharing is off.

Something to note. I always disable ipv6 form the adapter but when I ping my hostname it shows the ipv6 loopback. Why is that?
    When I ping the alias it returns 127.0.0.1 ipv4 loopback that was entered in the hostname.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Milas, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

Add alias not working

1. Add alias not working - Similar Threads - Add alias working

2. Cant add an alias

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant add an alias: When I try to add an alias to the account it says I can't add a work Email. what should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-add-an-alias/25eec8ae-9ba1-4b91-8acf-082e1c1c313a
  3. Cant add an alias

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant add an alias: When I try to add an alias to the account it says I can't add a work Email. what should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-add-an-alias/25eec8ae-9ba1-4b91-8acf-082e1c1c313a
  4. Unable do add a second alias

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable do add a second alias: I want do add a second email address and then change my primary alias. However, the microsoft site wouldn'd allow me to do so. Neither trying to add a new email address, nor using an existing one works. The answer is always "This email address is already taken. Please try...
  5. Unable do add a second alias

Unable do add a second alias: I want do add a second email address and then change my primary alias. However, the microsoft site wouldn'd allow me to do so. Neither trying to add a new email address, nor using an existing one works. The answer is always "This email address is already taken. Please try...
  6. Unable do add a second alias

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Cannot Add phone alias to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Add phone alias to Microsoft account: I am trying to add my phone number to my Microsoft account and it says to use a different one. I should not have it as an alias to another account.Thanks in Advance...
  8. Cannot Add phone alias to Microsoft account

Cannot Add phone alias to Microsoft account: I am trying to add my phone number to my Microsoft account and it says to use a different one. I should not have it as an alias to another account.Thanks in Advance...
  9. Unable to add Email Alias to my account.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to add Email Alias to my account.: I am unable to add an email alias to my Microsoft Account. It is a personal email address, the error message I receive is: You can't add a work or school email address as an alias to a personal Microsoft account. Please try another....
  10. Renamed personal Microsoft alias and result was work alias no longer works

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renamed personal Microsoft alias and result was work alias no longer works: Message popped up when entering work email: 'it looks like this account is used with more than one account from Microsoft. Which one would you like to use?' Work or school account created by your IT dept was highlighted, which is correct. I clicked on the link that said...