Windows 10: Add command prompt (and with that any batch file) to boot process?

Discus and support Add command prompt (and with that any batch file) to boot process? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I would like, as part of my boot process, to include a command prompt or command line interface at full screen. So before the laptop branding pops up,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/edoms_2002, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Add command prompt (and with that any batch file) to boot process?

I would like, as part of my boot process, to include a command prompt or command line interface at full screen. So before the laptop branding pops up, I have something that says "C>" or something. That would do a few things.

A) Make it easier to access the command prompt if things go awry (instead of going into advanced boot options and doing all that)

B: it would allow me to choose to open a specific program even before the desktop for when I log in, so it would kinda be like having a startup program but instead I choose what I want to open at boot

C) That would hopefully give me the ability to run any batch script at boot because the cmd can open batch files

I know earlier versions of Windows have something like this. On /u/edoms_2002
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/edoms_2002, Jun 13, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Batch Files Knowledge Base

Baiscly I'm making this thread so people can post what commands they know for batch files. I am curious and would like to know more about what can be done with batch files. I don't expect many people to know a lot, but I do expect a few people to know something.

All I know is how to make a batch file that will open Command Prompt. All you have to do is make a new text file, insert something like "CMD" or "command.com" save it as (Anything).bat and you have yourself a batch file that now executes Command Prompt.

So if anyone knows anything else, please share it on this thread pleaes.*Smile Add command prompt (and with that any batch file) to boot process? :)

AphexDreamer, Jun 13, 2020
  4. fatkatie Win User

Add command prompt (and with that any batch file) to boot process?

Clear command prompt history from within batch.

I have a batch, running in "Command Prompt", that prompts for a password. For any number of reasons I can't guarantee that the window will close before exposing that data (arrow keys browse history list).

Is there a way to keep the password out of the list or is there a way to clear the list from within the batch itself?

Thank you.

fatkatie, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

Add command prompt (and with that any batch file) to boot process?

1. Add command prompt (and with that any batch file) to boot process? - Similar Threads - Add command prompt

2. Batch File Command???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Batch File Command???: I want to run a batch file that starts a backup program, but does not execute the next command until that program completes? How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-file-command/3af2ce6b-ace3-43cb-b6fb-5cbff8998736
  3. Batch File Command???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Batch File Command???: I want to run a batch file that starts a backup program, but does not execute the next command until that program completes? How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-file-command/3af2ce6b-ace3-43cb-b6fb-5cbff8998736
  4. Starting batch file only opens command prompt versus running the batch file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Starting batch file only opens command prompt versus running the batch file?: I'm trying to run one batch file, then another. Instead of running the 2nd batch file, it just opens another black screened command prompt with the name of the batch file as the first line in the command prompt? Any ideas why?...
  5. Starting batch file only opens command prompt versus running the batch file?

Starting batch file only opens command prompt versus running the batch file?: I'm trying to run one batch file, then another. Instead of running the 2nd batch file, it just opens another black screened command prompt with the name of the batch file as the first line in the command prompt? Any ideas why?...
  6. How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?: Without going into details, I need to run a batch script to copy all the files and folders from a failing ssd drive to another disk one file at a time. I am using below batch script but windows recovery mode command prompt is not recognizing timout as a valid command. How can...
  7. How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?

How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?: Without going into details, I need to run a batch script to copy all the files and folders from a failing ssd drive to another disk one file at a time. I am using below batch script but windows recovery mode command prompt is not recognizing timout as a valid command. How can...
  8. How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Command Prompt closes immediately after opening batch file

in Windows 10 News
    Command Prompt closes immediately after opening batch file: [ATTACH]When we execute a batch file, the Command Prompt opens and closes automatically after processing the batch file. Sometimes, the command is executed so quickly that it seems like the Command Prompt closes immediately after opening the batch (BAT) file. This prevents...
  10. Command Prompt/ Batch files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Command Prompt/ Batch files: [ATTACH] when i create a batch file to ping something, it spams the command and throws no response. how do i fix this? https://preview.redd.it/fyy6qwrfx7n61.png?width=256&format=png&auto=webp&s=d55552fdc7a5c297d565617f710992048238660c submitted by /u/xWasss [link]...