Windows 10: Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments

Discus and support Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, just come across this File Metadata (free) which I think will interest you- seems very competent in tagging files. At the bottom I've added a note... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dalchina, Oct 14, 2016.

1. dalchina New Member

Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments

Hi, just come across this File Metadata (free) which I think will interest you- seems very competent in tagging files.
    At the bottom I've added a note about StyleFolder (free), which adds comments to folders.

If you want to add comments, tags, metadata to files, this is for you.
    In some places it refers to XP and Vista, but is maintained and current for '10.

File Metadata - Download File Meta 1.3

1. Explorer with normal view of details pane for txt

Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments [​IMG]

2. Configuration screen for program

3. Result with several added editable fields and added comment

"It is pretty clear that Microsoft originally intended to ship a broader capability. What this package does is wire together pieces that were built into Windows in readiness, but never joined up: it connects Explorer's ability to see and edit metadata with NTFS's support for storing property data in an annex to any file, and so allowing metadata to be added to files of any type. And because Windows Search uses the same property system hooks as Explorer, you can also search using this metadata, both in Explorer and from the Start Menu (or Search charm). That all this takes just a 19K DLL (64-bit, release build) and some registry settings tells you how close Microsoft got.

One reason why Microsoft never shipped the complete solution is that all works well when the file is moved around between NTFS drives, but the metadata is lost when a file is, say, emailed, or moved to a FAT file system. Also, if your files are still being edited, then you need to check that associated metadata is preserved on save. Some file editors, rather than update the file in place, save updates using a write-new-file, delete-original-file, rename-new-to-original strategy that loses any metadata held in the annex to the original file. You do need to be aware of these limitations, but think of being able to add metadata to txt files, pdfs, anything, editable directly in Explorer!"

Uninstalling
    I found it necessary to remove any associations using its File Association Editor (a File association editor start menu entry is created) before uninstalling, else remnants are left, apparent in explorer for file types you associate).

Folder Comments
    These can be added using StyleFolder, which still seems to work.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/custom...th-stylefolder

:)

dalchina, Oct 14, 2016

2. Windows 10: Add comments/tags/title to folders?

Is there a facility to add comments, tittles, or tags to folders in Windows 10 file explorer?

Hairy Scot, Oct 14, 2016
  3. Comments and tags not saved or disappears

The comments section are visible in the MP3-folder. I can open the file properties and type a comment in the Details tab. But when I click OK the comment section in file explorer stays blank. Only comments typed with earlier versions of Windows are visible.

In the Word folder, tag and comment sections are visible, when I type text in tags and comments in the file properties, the text I type is shown in tag and comment section in file explorer when I click OK. But if I open the file with Word 2010 and save it,
    the tags and comment is lost.

Edit 2016-07-26:

Since comments in MP3 files are lost immediately after I close the file properties (no other application than File Explorer is used) I believe File Explorer or possibly Windows file system is to blame.

I'm very interested to know if there's someone else experiencing the same problem, and if the problem is only present on upgraded systems. If so I might consider installing Windows 10 all over using clean installation method.

Edit 2016-07-27:

Some of the comments I entered in MP3-files with File Explorer is visible in Real Player music library, but still not shown in File Explorer.

Real Player screenshot:

File Explorer Screenshot (I have a Swedish version of Windows Home and "Comments" translates to "Kommentarer" in Swedish language):

salvemundum, Oct 14, 2016
  4. OCjp Win User

Thank you! I had found that post earlier and thought that I was missing a built-in feature in Windows and that File Metadata was a program that added more advanced options. I've been playing around with it and it's exactly what I need. Thanks again!

OCjp, Dec 6, 2016
  5. OCjp Win User
    Is it possible to allow all users connected to a server to add tags and see tags created by other users?

OCjp, Dec 7, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Dec 7, 2016
  7. I came across the tool mentioned in this thread when I was wondering why I couldn't add meta data or tags to an existing file.

Correct me if I'm wrong, without the tool mentioned in this thread; I can't add meta data to an existing file ?

JerometheGiraff, Mar 2, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

There are plenty of programs that let you do that.

dalchina, Mar 2, 2017
  9. You didn't answer the question which was; I can't take an file and add meta data to it without the program or another equivalent program mentioned in this thread ?

JerometheGiraff, Mar 2, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Thank you for your question.

You asked:
    My answer was (I will expand for you) You don't have to use the tool mentioned in the thread- there are plenty of others- you don't have to use that program.

Windows Media player used to allow some tag editing- for the range of file types it handles, which is more limited than dedicated tag editors.

Editing ID3 tags in Windows Media Player 12

This does not appear to be the case now. Nor does Groove support it.

Thus it follows that tag editing appears to have been deprecated in Win 10.

dalchina, Mar 2, 2017
  11. I want to be clear.

Without the program mentioned in this thread or any other equal program. I cannot add per file or group of files, metadata ?

I've been trying for the past day to add metadata per file and Windows, in this case Windows10 will not allow me, yet there are so many metadata options you can add to a file it's shame Microsoft has be neglectful of this in Windows10.

JerometheGiraff, Mar 3, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    You need another program. I don't know a way with Windows only. Try mp3tag.

A thought for you.
    An operating system per se provides a higher level of abstraction, separating the user from hardware.

Programs are then written using those interfaces to achieve specific aims. These are applications- applying the hardware and OS to achieve a particular goal.

MS provides the OS and certain applications. It does not provide applications which meet every person's needs, otherwise 3rd party programmers would be out of a job.

dalchina, Mar 3, 2017
  13. Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments

I understand, I had to ask because I was wondering why I couldn't edit or add metadata to an existing file in Windows10. A 3rd party program as mentioned in this thread is the only solution. *Smile

JerometheGiraff, Mar 3, 2017
  14. I asked on the forum, as I can't find the 'kind' attribute in FileMeta ?

JerometheGiraff, Mar 6, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Also known as 'perceived type'.

But if you use it in file explorer search
    e.g.

1. Just the files- no search spec

2. Search kind:text

3. Search *ex*.* kind:text

dalchina, Mar 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments - Similar Threads - Add comments tags

2. Add comments to a Folder in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add comments to a Folder in windows 11: Hi All,Can someone help me. How do I add important note/comments to a folder in windows 11? Is it possible? I find many solutions dated back 5 years ago which does not work with windows 11. The Detail tab is missing if I right click Folder not file and select Properties....
  3. how to add comments to files in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to add comments to files in explorer: how to add comments to files in explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-comments-to-files-in-explorer/e6f47313-e2fd-48f9-b3f1-00dc092b8fa1
  4. how to add comments to files in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to add comments to files in explorer: how to add comments to files in explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-comments-to-files-in-explorer/e6f47313-e2fd-48f9-b3f1-00dc092b8fa1
  5. I cant add comment metada tag

in Windows 10 Support
    I cant add comment metada tag: Hi. Tags with comments are not saving ;( does anyone have any solution to this problem? You can see my problem in this video: Comments tag - YouTube yesterday i spent 4 hours trying to fix this problem and nothing yes I tried to add the "pol" token and it did not help either...
  6. How to add a comment/Tag to a folder not files in windows 10 so that it can be easily...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to add a comment/Tag to a folder not files in windows 10 so that it can be easily...: why hasn't Microsoft still provided this feature? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-a-commenttag-to-a-folder-not-files-in/ab5c6fad-c7d0-4f93-be90-6e950443af04
  7. How do I add comments to a folder within File Explorer?

How do I add comments to a folder within File Explorer?: I have to navigate through a medium volume of folders within one folder for my work projects. It would be helpful if I could add comments within the metadata of a folder to help me organize. Posted a snip of the area I am referencing. Anyone know of a way to do this within...
  8. How can I add comments to the Comments column on File Explorer?

How can I add comments to the Comments column on File Explorer?: How can I associate comments with a file, and get them to appear in the File Explorer Comments column? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-add-comments-to-the-comments-column-on/d09e68a0-ec87-435a-bacc-bdefcab94c70"
  9. Cannot Add Tags, Categories, Comments, etc to any .PDF files

Cannot Add Tags, Categories, Comments, etc to any .PDF files: I am able to add tags to Word and Excel documents, but I am unable to add tags to PDF documents. I've tried to open details in properties for the file and can only delete details, not add. Please help!...
  10. Adding Title/Comments/Tags to Folders + Sort in File Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding Title/Comments/Tags to Folders + Sort in File Manager: Two questions:- 1. Does anyone know of a simple method to add titles, comments, or tags, to folders in Windows 10? There was something called HobComment that worked on XP but there does not appear to be a Win10 X64 version. 2. Is it possible to have File Manager...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add metadata to windows and file folder

2. adding comments to file metadata

3. mp3 metadata update addon for file explorer

4. add comments and tags windows explorer