Windows 10: Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803)

Discus and support Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The previous technique used to add shortcuts from the desktop to Start involved adding shortcuts to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bryce Brogan, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803)

The previous technique used to add shortcuts from the desktop to Start involved adding shortcuts to C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. This used to cause these shortcuts to appear in the start menu (perhaps under recently add items) but no longer works. I was looking for a method to add a shortcut to a file or website to my Start without using Edge (which has the option to pin the current page to Start). Any ideas? Thanks.

:)

Bryce Brogan, Sep 6, 2018

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Sep 6, 2018
  3. EliasCK Win User
    Is my start menu broken?

Just updated as well, and thought I would finally give the windows 10 start menu a go, and not use classic shell. But I'm unsure whether my start menu is broken, and I should do a clean install.

• I can drag a tile from the start menu to the desktop, but I can't drag a desktop icon to the start menu so it becomes a windows 10 tile icon?
    • I can right-click a tile and pin a shortcut to the taskbar, but again, I can't right-click a shortcut from the taskbar and pin it to the start menu.
    • When dragging tiles around, I have to wait before the animation is done until I can start the next drag.
    • I only have two options, large square or small square. Wasn't there a time, where you could have wide and tall and huge tiles? Or does that only works for apps :/? (I don't use any windows 10 apps)
    • I can't rename a pinned shortcut?
    • And is there still no option to add custom images to icons and make them look nice?

Have Microsoft not had 4 years with these new "tile icons"? And it is till this bad?

The only way for me to pin a program to the start menu is by locating it in the programs list in the start menu and drag or right-click to pin it. I use multiple versions of the same program, but the programs list in the start
    menu only shows one, so how on earth to I add a shortcut to the other versions then?

EliasCK, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803)

Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

I found a broken shortcut on my account's Start Menu program list, located all the way on the bottom.

Attachment 183304

Right-clicking and uninstalling doesn't do anything. I tried some of the solutions found online and most of them don't work. Is there any way for me to fix this mild annoyance?

djdelarosa25, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803)

1. Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803) - Similar Threads - Add Desktop shortcut

2. Broken desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken desktop Shortcuts: Hi all,I have a problem with my desktop shortuts. When I restart my laptop and click on any shortcut, I get the below message.The program still opens, but the shortcut icon disappears and is now in my recycling bin. This happens everytime the laptop restarts with every...
  3. Broken desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken desktop Shortcuts: Hi all,I have a problem with my desktop shortuts. When I restart my laptop and click on any shortcut, I get the below message.The program still opens, but the shortcut icon disappears and is now in my recycling bin. This happens everytime the laptop restarts with every...
  4. Start menu broken shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  5. Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?: Specifically I want to be able to open Visual Studio Code by searching VS Code instead. League of Legends allows me to search "lol" to have the program immediately come to the top, is there any way I can replicate this? submitted by /u/MattHellstrand [link] [comments]...
  6. Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?

Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?: The start menu has groups of apps on the right side, e.g., Productivity, Explore, etc. How do I add a group of my own choosing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-a-group-for-app-shortcuts-on-the-start-menu/a88f905f-d124-4ae8-a862-50aacdc38d71
  7. Can't add shortcuts to start menu

Can't add shortcuts to start menu: I can't pin shortcuts to start menu , i tried drag and drop , but it won't let me. I also don't have a "Start Menu' tab in taskbar properties. [img] [img] 10986
  8. Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu

Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu: So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed...
  9. Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list: I found a broken shortcut on my account's Start Menu program list, located all the way on the bottom. [img] Right-clicking and uninstalling doesn't do anything. I tried some of the solutions found online and most of them don't work. Is there any way for me to fix this...
  10. "Desktop" shortcut for full-screen start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Desktop" shortcut for full-screen start menu?: My mom just got a new tablet which came with Windows 10. I'm trying to set it up to be as similar as she was used to with Windows 8.1 I know with the full-screen start menu, you can technically just press the Windows key a second time to return to the desktop view you were...