Windows 10: add files to system image disk in separate directory

Discus and support add files to system image disk in separate directory in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, WIN 10 64 bit, used WIN 7 backup utility built into WIN 10 to make a system image. I have a 1TB HDD in my system that I did a full system image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SteveBroderick, Apr 4, 2021.

1. add files to system image disk in separate directory

Hi,

WIN 10 64 bit, used WIN 7 backup utility built into WIN 10 to make a system image.

I have a 1TB HDD in my system that I did a full system image of with the boot DVD. It works fine. I put the system image, 800GB, on my 2TB USB HDD, SO, I am basically wasting 1 TB of file space on that drive.

Can I make a folder on that system image drive, move files to it and have the system image still be valid and work?

Worse case, I would have to redo the system image for either of the 2 below options...

Option 1 : Create 2 separate partitions on the drive with different drive letters; and use one of those partitions for the system image and the other partition for random files.?

Option 2 : Buy a 1TB USB HDD and redo the system image onto that.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Steve

:)

SteveBroderick, Apr 4, 2021
  2. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Unable to use System restore from a windows 10 image on Windows 7 with error: "windows cannot find a system image-the usb drive is not visible"

Hi Otley,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue.

As you mentioned, when you connect the USB flash drive in to the system then the System image backup is not present. It might occur if the System image files is not created properly or may be it got corrupted.

As an initial steps I suggest you to check for the memory space in the USB flash driver.

If the Memory is occupied in the USB flash drive the I suggest you to try running check disk on USB flash drive and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps to perform Check Disk.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the below commands.

Chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r

Reply to us with the status of your issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Apr 4, 2021
  4. add files to system image disk in separate directory

Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

add files to system image disk in separate directory

1. add files to system image disk in separate directory - Similar Threads - add files system

2. System image or recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image or recovery disk: Hi,New Year Greetings.If I make a system image copy, do I still need to create a recovery disk? What are the differences, and how much space does recovery disk takes? Does it have to be on a exclusive, stand-alone disk.One final question - does recovery disk also makes copy...
  3. System image and recovery disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System image and recovery disk: Hello, dear friends!I made a backup, a system image and a recovery disk of my Windows 11 Home yesterday.If I make a new backup and system image in the future do I have to create a new recovery disk?Thank you in advance!...
  4. Media Player no longer adds image files to directories of ripped CDs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media Player no longer adds image files to directories of ripped CDs: The title says it all. Media Player used to add the image files -- three AlbumArt... and one Folder -- to the directories folders, that is of ripped CDs, but that stopped, probably with the last Windows 10 release. I realize this is a forum for users, so announcing that this...
  5. Non system disk in system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Non system disk in system image: I trying to create system image in Windows 10. Chose where I want to save the backup, after that system shows to me what drives will be backed up: EFI System Partition Game_Storage E: System Recovery Partition System C: System Problem is that Game_Storage E: is not...
  6. How to use separate non-system disk for users files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to use separate non-system disk for users files: I reinstalled Windows 10 on a new system C: disk and with a new user account on that system disk. All my previous user files desktop, documents, etc are on a separate non-system disk, and i want those files to be accessible to the new user, and the new user's new files to be...
  7. System Image & System Repair Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image & System Repair Disk: My company jettisoned our IT Department and contracted for IT services with an outside firm. Field personnel provided with laptop or desktop (or both) are now required to perform a System Image once per week and, in addition, to create a System Repair CD/DVD each week as part...
  8. System Image with separate user accounts

System Image with separate user accounts: Just a quick question. Can I make a system image of recent Windows 10 install which has been set up with two user accounts (one is a child's account) with their own different set-ups, programs etc. If so - which account do I use to select to make a system image from. Just...
  9. System Image & Repair Disk

System Image & Repair Disk: Hello all, When I purchased my computer, a salesman recommended I make a system image in case of computer failure and said I should use a 32 GB external drive. So I took his recommendation and bought one of those USB types. As I pulled up the application to perform this...
  10. System Disk Image/Clone

System Disk Image/Clone: There's been some discussion on this in another thread & having previously not been too successful in the past, I'd like to seek some advice. When a disk is cloned it makes an identical copy to another HD; the idea being that if the one in use fails, then the cloned HD can...