Windows 10: Add image size to file name

Discus and support Add image size to file name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to add the image size to the file name for my wallpapers collection. Example: "test.jpg" to "test 1920x1080.jpg" I was using free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by XMcQcX, Dec 17, 2020.

1. XMcQcX Win User

Add image size to file name

Hi, I would like to add the image size to the file name for my wallpapers collection. Example: "test.jpg" to "test 1920x1080.jpg" I was using free commander multi rename to do it, but it stops working, I don't know why. I would prefer to do it with powershell, it's quicker.

I already use this code to add the date via the explorer context menu:
    PowerShell.exe -WindowStyle Hidden -Command "( Get-Item '%1' ) | Rename-Item -NewName { '{0} {1:yyyy-MM-dd}{2}' -f $_.BaseName, $_.LastWriteTime, $_.Extension }"

How to modify this code to get the "dimensions" instead of "date created" ? Any help would be appreciated

:)

XMcQcX, Dec 17, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Dec 17, 2020
  3. Aquinus Win User

Okay, first off, people need to learn to calm down. That includes the OP and everyone replying. I would consider this a very legitimate concern he raises and I'll explain why and what I would suggest to fix it to address all the concerns brought up.

I see three sides to this.
    • OneMoar wants to upload bigger files. Generally speaking, most users are lazy so this is a valid concern from a usability standpoint. While I do believe there should be an upload limit, there should be a separate storage limit.
    • Concern with bandwidth: I suspect that uploading images is a relatively small amount of bandwidth and that serving up said images is much more costly. So that would put emphasis on getting not putting if bandwidth is a concern.
    • Storage, a very real concern because a lot of images adds up quickly which adds a need to efficiently store said images.
    So my suggestion (assuming W1zz wanted to do this out of kindness of his heart,) is this:
    • Increase upload limit to 10-20MB max.
    • Institute a storage limit of 2-5MB max.
    • Use PHP's GD library to convert uploaded images to JPEG or PNG.
      • PNGs tend to look nicer than JPEGs, but use more space. Probably preferable for smaller images or images requiring transparency.
      • JPEG tends to be very flexible when it comes to quality and the amount of compression. PHP's GD lib gives you control over this.
    So long as the image is uploaded in a format GD can read which includes most commonly used formats, it may not be unrealistic to re-store it in a different format. It's also not unrealistic to use GD to scale the image as well.

I've used GD before and it's relatively easy to use and is relatively quick with respect to performance. I would be willing to write up some examples with respect to how to do it if it were welcomed.

Side note: I see a watermark, GD might be getting used already so this might not be a stretch if the CPU cycles are there to spare.

Aquinus, Dec 17, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Limit each person to what they can upload ?, well that's terrible after time as posted pics end up deleted and leave useful threads with missing pictures.

Or did it misunderstand point number 2.

AsRock, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Add image size to file name - Similar Threads - Add image size

2. Icons are showing with size and files have no names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons are showing with size and files have no names: Hi allOne day when I accessed my computer my icons were showing with their size as their name and some without the name. I have looked on here for support and didn't find any helpful replies to the one question that was the same. Along with this many of my files do not have...
  3. Odd Image File Names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd Image File Names: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  4. Odd Image File Names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Image File Names: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  5. Odd Image File Names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Add file to a Windows 10 image

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add file to a Windows 10 image: Hi guys! A quick question: Is there a way to add a file to an unattended installation of Windows 10? Using DISM after mounting the SO image or using the software Windows System Image Manager to edit the answer file? I need to have a specific file on some folder when...
  7. FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES: Hi - hope someone can help. I was unable to get most of my photos to open and now I'm having the same problem with all files. The files I had named, such as,APPLE PIE, now reads ._APPLE PIE. In Photos, the icons and names of these files is usually faded and a message says...
  8. Possible to add images as file metadata?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Possible to add images as file metadata?: Hello. I'm using File Metadata to add custom values in file attributes to a some text files. I have this: [img] See the comment: this is custom. It will be possible to add like a small icon like an smiley or something instead of words? Thank you 130456
  9. Unusual file name extension and size

in Windows 10 Support
    Unusual file name extension and size: I have a hidden file that is 607GB on a 931GB Hard Disk with the extension (.DErQc). What is this file doing? Regards, 115515
  10. File size not reducing when changing image size

in Windows 10 Support
    File size not reducing when changing image size: I have a 16 mg image, 4500x3000. I resized all the way down to 100x100 and the file size won't change from 12.4 or so. This is true for all photos in a certain file I downloaded from online. They are appliance products. I tried downloading a random, even larger image from...