Windows 10: Add networked win10 printer on XP machine, almost but not quite!?

Discus and support Add networked win10 printer on XP machine, almost but not quite!? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been having a heck of a time trying to add a Windows 10 local printer, as a network printer on a Windows XP machine on the same workgroup. Through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MC208, May 4, 2021.

1. MC208 Win User

Add networked win10 printer on XP machine, almost but not quite!?

I've been having a heck of a time trying to add a Windows 10 local printer, as a network printer on a Windows XP machine on the same workgroup. Through reading forums, I've been able to get the computers seen, as well as the printer, but when I go to connect to it on the XP machine, it prompts me for a username and password and I can't get passed that step, even when I enter the username and password from the Win10 machine. I have password protected sharing off in the advanced sharing settings in the win10 machine. Not sure what else to do??

:)

MC208, May 4, 2021
  2. MC208 Win User

I've been having a heck of a time trying to add a Windows 10 local printer, as a network printer on a Windows XP machine on the same workgroup. Through reading forums, I've been able to get the computers seen, as well as the printer, but when I go to connect to it on the XP machine, it prompts me for a username and password and I can't get passed that step, even when I enter the username and password from the Win10 machine. I have password protected sharing off in the advanced sharing settings in the win10 machine. Not sure what else to do??

MC208, May 5, 2021
  3. installing network printer on an Xp to use shared printer on win10

If you had problems with "credentials" trying to install a network printer on an Xp this solution will work, Does not involve credentials.

George

If you have problems trying to install a network printer on an Xp computer to the shared printer on Win10:

(the win10 is plugged directly into the computer!)

try this

Firstly

On the win10 computer indicate the share name then in the securities window list all the users that will be using this printer. These will be user codes and will verified by win10.

If you do not know the name of the win10 machine then do this now.

Summary:

Computer name

Printer share name

List of permitted users.

Secondly sign on to the xp computer with a user name that is mentioned in the securities list above.

Then proceed as follows:

1) click start then click printers and faxes

2) click add printer ( in left pane)

3) click next

4) select LOCAL printer attached to this computer: click next

5) Select create a new PORT. Select “local port” for the port type and click next.

6) System asks for port name: enter path and share name for example \\win10computername\printersharename
    this is similar to mapping a network drive, instead of server, folder it is server printer share name.

7) Select printer brand and model number (for the driver)

8) Follow the rest of the wizard.

9) Do not share printer. Win10 will manage it

10) Print test page, print a simple document.

George Sirk, May 5, 2021
  4. phrab Win User

My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP

I have 2 computers, Win10 & WinXP & 2 printers, an HP printer connected to Win10 thru ethernet & an Epson wirelessly. I was having problems in Win10, & you've helped me solve this in thread "HP Officejet printer keeps going offline only on Windows 10".I had no problems with my printers in WinXP, but now I do. When trying to use the HP printer with WinXP, I keep getting messages that it can't communicate with the printer. I've tried to use Add printer on my WinXP machine to start over, & it "sees" my printer on the Win10 machine. However, when I try to go thru the printer wizard, I get to this screen:

Add networked win10 printer on XP machine, almost but not quite!? [​IMG]

I don't have a password on either computer, but I type in the username, as shown above. Whether the box "remember my password" is checked or not, when I click OK, I get the message

Add networked win10 printer on XP machine, almost but not quite!? [​IMG]

I don't know if this has anything to do with my previous problem or not, but I can't use the HP printer in Windows XP anymore. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

phrab, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Add networked win10 printer on XP machine, almost but not quite!? - Similar Threads - Add networked win10

2. add sharing printer by network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    add sharing printer by network: server printer windows 10 client windows 11 oeration could not be completed error 0x00000709please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-sharing-printer-by-network/df62185a-9c78-45b4-b578-d4e127b4aaaf
  3. add sharing printer by network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    add sharing printer by network: server printer windows 10 client windows 11 oeration could not be completed error 0x00000709please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-sharing-printer-by-network/df62185a-9c78-45b4-b578-d4e127b4aaaf
  4. Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...: Hello, the past couple of days, I have been trying to network two older PC's, one a Dell Optiplex 9020, running Windows 10 Pro and an even older eMachines from 2005, still running XP to network up together. Previous attempts were a failure due to poor wireless connection,...
  5. Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...: Hello, the past couple of days, I have been trying to network two older PC's, one a Dell Optiplex 9020, running Windows 10 Pro and an even older eMachines from 2005, still running XP to network up together. Previous attempts were a failure due to poor wireless connection,...
  6. Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Add Network Printer Limit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Add Network Printer Limit: What is the upper limit on the number of Network Printers that I can add to my local Windows 10 laptop? Can I potentially add 10,000 printers and make any one of them the default printer? The idea is to build an RPA bot that can prepare a document and send it for printing to...
  8. Add Printer - Unknown Printer on Network

Add Printer - Unknown Printer on Network: Hi ! I keep getting an unknown printer showing up when I go to add a printer. Does this indicate a breach of network security ? It seems to me it does because it sure is NOT my printer ! Cannot remove printer either... Ideas for how do I resolve ( yes rebooted ) ? Running...
  9. My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP

My Networked Printer on Win10 no longer works in Windows XP: I have 2 computers, Win10 & WinXP & 2 printers, an HP printer connected to Win10 thru ethernet & an Epson wirelessly. I was having problems in Win10, & you've helped me solve this in thread "HP Officejet printer keeps going offline only on Windows 10".I had no problems with...
  10. Add network printers

Add network printers: Hello, Windows does not automatically detect networks printers ... with 7 and 8.1 I had to manually install them using their IP but it's not possible to do this with the TP ... any idea ? 4539