Windows 10: Add new SSD drive to RAID-1 machine?

Discus and support Add new SSD drive to RAID-1 machine? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC runs Windows 10 Home 20H2 off a RAID-1 HD (configuration: BIOS-> SATA->RAID). I would like to add a new, separate SSD drive to this system. Can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tr00don, May 4, 2021.

1. tr00don Win User

Add new SSD drive to RAID-1 machine?

My PC runs Windows 10 Home 20H2 off a RAID-1 HD (configuration: BIOS-> SATA->RAID). I would like to add a new, separate SSD drive to this system. Can this be done without interfering with the existing RAID-1?

:)

tr00don, May 4, 2021
  2. tr00don Win User

My PC runs Windows 10 Home 20H2 off a RAID-1 HD (configuration: BIOS-> SATA->RAID). I would like to add a new, separate SSD drive to this system. Can this be done without interfering with the existing RAID-1?

tr00don, May 4, 2021
  3. JosephHW Win User
    Windows 10, RAID 1, Optimize Shows HDD, not SSD

In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, (RAID 1, Two SSD's), I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for
    this regarding Windows 8, but not sure how to proceed in Windows 10:

"

Created on October 30, 2013

SSDs Showing up as HDD in system - Windows 8.1 GA/RTM

I had this issue during the preview and it appears to happen again in the final version of 8.1 as well.

Somehow the system is incorrectly registering my 2x RAID SDDs as HDDs, which thus during the weekly "Optimization" runs a defragmentation on them instead correctly running TRIM instead. Which is quite frustrating to see it's still in the final product.

In my preview thread the suggestion to fix this was to run WinSAT (Windows System Assessment Tool) from Powershell. It worked during the preview to correctly identify my SSDs and it appears to work in the final version as well.

The description on how to run it from my previous thread:

"Usually the detection of SSDs can be forced by running the Windows Experience Index (= WEI, file name: WINSAT.EXE).

You may have to run Windows Experience Index to force windows to detect RAID SSD in Windows 8.1.2013

Follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key + W” from the keyboard.

b. Type “Administrative tools” without quotes in the search box.

c. Select “Administrative tools” option from the list.

d. Then right click on “Windows PowerShell ISE” and select “Run as Administrator” option.

e. Type “WinSAT diskformal” without quotes in the PowerShell and hit Enter.

You will see:

“Win8.1 Preview - Manual execution of the Windows Experience Index.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)”.

f. Close “Windows PowerShell” and run Windows Optimization.

g. This should detect “RAID configured SSD on Windows 8.1."

I highly suggest if you have SSDs, especially in RAID, that you check the Optimize Drives interface to see if it's correctly identifying your drives and if it isn't to run WinSAT diskformal from PowerShell.

JosephHW, May 4, 2021
  4. JosephHW Win User

Windows 10 / Raid 1: "Optimize" shows HDD, NOT installed SSD's

I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A COMPLETE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION: PLEASE, HELP!

In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, (RAID 1, Two SSD's), I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for
    this regarding Windows 8, but not sure how to proceed in Windows 10:

"Created on October 30, 2013

SSDs Showing up as HDD in system - Windows 8.1 GA/RTM

I had this issue during the preview and it appears to happen again in the final version of 8.1 as well.

Somehow the system is incorrectly registering my 2x RAID SDDs as HDDs, which thus during the weekly "Optimization" runs a defragmentation on them instead correctly running TRIM instead. Which is quite frustrating to see it's still in the final product.

In my preview thread the suggestion to fix this was to run WinSAT (Windows System Assessment Tool) from Powershell. It worked during the preview to correctly identify my SSDs and it appears to work in the final version as well.

The description on how to run it from my previous thread:

"Usually the detection of SSDs can be forced by running the Windows Experience Index (= WEI, file name: WINSAT.EXE).

You may have to run Windows Experience Index to force windows to detect RAID SSD in Windows 8.1.2013

Follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key + W” from the keyboard.

b. Type “Administrative tools” without quotes in the search box.

c. Select “Administrative tools” option from the list.

d. Then right click on “Windows PowerShell ISE” and select “Run as Administrator” option.

e. Type “WinSAT diskformal” without quotes in the PowerShell and hit Enter.

“Win8.1 Preview - Manual execution of the Windows Experience Index.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)”.

f. Close “Windows PowerShell” and run Windows Optimization.

g. This should detect “RAID configured SSD on Windows 8.1."

I highly suggest if you have SSDs, especially in RAID, that you check the Optimize Drives interface to see if it's correctly identifying your drives and if it isn't to run WinSAT diskformal from PowerShell."

In reply to Sumit (Independent Advisor)'s post on January 5, 2020

How can I verify/be certain? In the Windows 8 advice, copied from the Microsoft Community, you see there can be an issue especially in RAID (1) configuration, where the hard drive(s) are not recognized as SSD, and a corrective procedure is given (for Windows
    8, but I have Windows 10). Is there some equivalent method to confirm my SSD's are receiving TRIM, not Defragment? I ran "optimize" manually, and to my eyes, the process looked exactly like the "defragment" I've run for years on my old, Windows 7 with HDD.
    As you see, I want to exercise extreme caution in protecting these 2, extremely expensive 2TB SSD's.

• Independent Advisor
    I agree to a certain extent about RAID that the things are unclear(I have to ask that to TPTB) but for normal configs please see this article from a Microsoft Employee.

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndComple...

In reply to Sumit (Independent Advisor)'s post on January 6, 2020

I did read the article you referenced. While I am not a very technical person, I can see my issue is different than the issue addressed in that article. The article revolves around how Windows treats, maintains a SSD, and in the example "optimize window"
    the drive is clearly called "SSD" by Windows. IN MY OPTIMIZER, the drive is called "Hard Drive", and this is the first basis of my concern that the drive is not being maintained as a SSD.

I very much appreciate your offer to further investigate. Again, please note my system is RAID 1, with (2) mirrored, 2TB SSD's, "hardware based RAID" with the controller on the motherboard. I will await further information. Again, my issue/concern is
    not so much how Windows maintains an SSD, rather whether Windows sees my array AS SSD.

JosephHW, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Add new SSD drive to RAID-1 machine? - Similar Threads - Add SSD drive

2. Reinstalling RAID 1 using NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling RAID 1 using NVMe drive: Hi, I had 2 Corsair Force Series MP600 2 TB, NVMe PCIe Gen 4 x4 M.2 SSD in RAID 1 when I ordered my computer from Origin PC. One of the drives was bad so I switched from RAID 1 to AHCI and sent the bad drive for replacement. I have the replacement drive installed now and I am...
  3. Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC: I recently built a new desktop PC. I transferred two 8TB drives that were mirrored from my previous PC. In my new PC they show up as one drive. I have put each drive individually and they each show up with all the data. I have backed up this data and wish to use the drives as...
  4. Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10

Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10: I am using a Dell T-130 server running Windows 10 pro since 2017. The machine is setup to use RAID in the bios. there is a C: drive that the machine boots from and there are 3 identical 1.8T drives that are in a RAID 1 config. These show as D: drive. There is also a DVR RW...
  5. Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's

Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's: Hi, I'm trying to setup two 500GB SSD's in a RAID 1 configuration, to be used as storage drives for CAD purposes. Could someone point me in the right direction as to the best way to set this up? Does Windows 10 provide this facility or would be in a BIOS task? Its a Dell...
  6. Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's: Hi, I'm trying to setup two 500GB SSD's in a RAID 1 configuration, to be used as storage drives for CAD purposes. Could someone point me in the right direction as to the best way to set this up? Does Windows 10 provide this facility or would be in a BIOS task? Its a Dell...
  7. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives: My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives. Funny thing is when I mounted on a...
  8. 1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0

1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0: In preparation for Windows 10 I plan on completely resetting my hard drive configuration since I currently have it spanning four hard drives. Right now my OS sits on a 128GB SSD while all the programs, games, photos, family videos, etc. sit on a mechanical 1TB drive. I...
  9. Raid 0 ssd drive

Raid 0 ssd drive: HI all Hope someone can help me. I have a desktop computer in raid 0 samsung ssd drive My problem I have is deleted pictures. I know that raid 0 ssd does not support trim on my p58 atx motherboard so if I delete a file I should be able to recover it? I deleted a...
  10. Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !

Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !: I can't Add Mirror to Disk 1 (from Disk 2)! [img] Windows 10 popup the following message. [img] What should I do . I don't want to buy a new HDD. My OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 x64 Thanks in advance 83276