Windows 10: Add option to context menu to open file type

Discus and support Add option to context menu to open file type in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; By default, Windows will open a MIDI file with Windows Media Player on double-click. This is fine. However, I'd like to add the option to open MIDI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gntsketches, May 30, 2019.

1. Add option to context menu to open file type

By default, Windows will open a MIDI file with Windows Media Player on double-click. This is fine. However, I'd like to add the option to open MIDI files to the context menu (right click).

As it is, to open a MIDI file with MuseScore (my current preferred software), I have to do: Right click > Open With > Choose Another App > More apps > (scroll to find MuseScore) > OK.

This is too many steps. How can I get the context menu to offer MuseScore as an option in it's menu - or at least as an option in "Open With"?

Thanks!

:)

gntsketches, May 30, 2019

2. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Add option to context menu to open file type :(

ArmoredCavalry, May 30, 2019
  3. How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.

Only if things are working correctly. Here's a few things I notice:

1. When I go into 'Default Programs' and change .txt files to use another program I do get a list of other programs that I can use to open the .txt file. This list is what should appear on the 'Open with' context menu in File Manager.

2. The extensions with the 'Open with' problem also don't have 'Open' on the context menu. It should be the first entry on the list. I can still click on the file and it will open with he default program.

Got to be something in the Registry. I thought I would find under .txt in the Registry an Openwith List with wordpad and notepad. But there isn't any even on my VM Windows where 'Open with' works fine.

streetwolf, May 30, 2019
  4. Add option to context menu to open file type

Issue with opening properties in context menu

Ignoring the fact that my "issue" was bloody self-explanatory.

1. I am not able to open ANY properties for ANY particular file or folder. Give me a step by step fix, please.

2. No, I did NOT get any error messages. Yet, my properties cannot be opened in context menu. Give me a step by step fix, please.

3. No, I did NOT make any recent changes before the issue started.
    Give me a step by step fix, please.

My properties cannot be opened in context menu. Give me a step by step fix, please.

Just give me the location please., May 30, 2019
Thema:

Add option to context menu to open file type

1. Add option to context menu to open file type - Similar Threads - Add option context

2. Is a feature avaulable to add "open with" option to right click context menu of a folder in...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is a feature avaulable to add "open with" option to right click context menu of a folder in...: I'd like to be able to do programmatically too. If not, how about "open with MyApp", I see visual studio is in that context menu when It's installed. Thanks for taking the time to read. submitted by /u/eltegs [link] [comments]...
  3. Adding NEW file types to context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding NEW file types to context menu: Hello, I would like to add file type .FC7 to my right click (context) NEW menu so I can open a new FastCad drawing in any folder. I found one link that showed how to do this, but it did not work for me. Basically it added a key under the HK_CLASSES_ROOT tree, adding a...
  4. context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option

in Windows 10 Customization
    context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option: context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/context-menu-is-missing-the-open-option/0d7c340c-17ef-4b71-893c-e6da8327f7e2
  5. Option to "add to file history" to context menu?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Option to "add to file history" to context menu?: Is there any way to include an option to "add to file history" to the context menu? It's tedious to have to jump into settings every time I want to add a folder to it. 140176
  6. I cannot add .prt extension file type to context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cannot add .prt extension file type to context menu: I have a problem with.prt files because I cannot add RMB context menu for .prt file types. I see nothing when RMB on file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-add-prt-extension-file-type-to-context/b55e5602-4f2c-4026-95db-7b148d3a479c
  7. Unable to add .prt extension file type to New context menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to add .prt extension file type to New context menu: Hi All, I'm unable to add RMB context menu for .prt file types. Nothing is displayed when RMB on file. I've asked same question on Stack overflow but no replay yet. Link for question: [Removed by Moderator] Thanks, Samadhan ***Modified Title From: Unable...
  8. Add Power Options Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Power Options Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Power Options Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Power Options Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information A create custom power plans that are optimized for specific computers. All users (standard and administrator) will be able to make...
  9. Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10 A .url file is an Internet shortcut that opens with your default web browser. The Open with context menu allows you to choose...
  10. Add Open with to Context Menu of BAT files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Open with to Context Menu of BAT files in Windows 10: How to: Add Open with to Context Menu of BAT files in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to BAT files in Windows 10 A .bat file is a batch file that consists of a series of commands to be executed by the command line interpreter, stored in a plain...