Windows 10: Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Thanks for responding Shawn, I am referring to Step 7 in Option One for excluding a process. Just typed in the fully qualified path name but that's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, May 6, 2015.

1. dogpark Win User

Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10

Thanks for responding Shawn,
    I am referring to Step 7 in Option One for excluding a process.
    Just typed in the fully qualified path name but that's not nearly as easy as browsing to the folder.

richie *Smile

dogpark, Nov 17, 2015
  2. Edwin New Member

I noticed that too, now they want you to fetch the 'path' yourself.

Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Easiest way is: navigate to the item, Shift/Right Click/Copy as Path and Paste into the dialog but remove the quotation marks.

Edwin, Nov 17, 2015
  3. dogpark Win User
    OK - thanks, I'll make a note of that for next time. I typed all 5 processes that wanted to exclude & am the worst typist in the interweb realm.

Thanks Edwin *Smile

dogpark, Nov 18, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Well, they did change that. *Sad

Brink, Nov 18, 2015
  5. I'm curious about the exclusions. Do they only relate to real time protection? Say I exclude a folder. On the occasions I decide to run a manual scan I'd still want that folder to be scanned. I just don't want it to be slowed down and subjected to real time protection.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Jan 17, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    You'd have to drag the item out of the excluded folder to be scanned, otherwise, it will just say "Scan Completed on 0 Items".

Edwin, Jan 17, 2016
  7. Thank you, that's a shame. I'd still want said folders to be scanned periodically. Just don't want real time scanning sticking it's nose in everytime I access said folders after a reboot. I've got another thread going but the real time protection is causing slow icon draw in folders with lots executables. Excluding the folder works wonders as it completely removes the issue. But I would like the folder to get scanned from time to time without having to drag everything out and then back in.

8. Edwin New Member

Delete all your exclusions, run a full system scan and/or mrt, then reassign the exclusions.
    Once a year thing, or may once a month, depends on individual.
    After that, make sure you scan all items before they go to the excluded folders.

Edwin, Jan 17, 2016
  9. Ok thank you. I will follow that pattern. I have just last couple of questions though. What if I have an excluded file or folder but I right click on it and select from the context menu scan with defender? Will it scan it then, or still report 0 items because of the prior exclusion in place? I'm thinking if this works then these type of adhoc scans will suffice for me.

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Scotty, *Smile

Yep, anything added to exclusions will not be scanned or monitored by Windows Defender.

Brink, Jan 17, 2016
  11. I have read the article and understood that excluding a folder will also exclude the FILES inside...

But does this also work for processes? Do I have to exclude every single process I need to, even though it runs from inside an excluded folder *sarc?

Please clarify the matter! Thanks in advance *092

Capt Ahmad, Jun 15, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Capt Ahmad, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Basically, anything that you exclude will not be scanned by Windows Defender.

Processes are files, so any that are in an excluded folder will also be excluded.

Brink, Jun 15, 2016
  13. ronzie009 Win User

Do you need to include the "." when excluding an extension?

ronzie009, Aug 7, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ronzie, *Smile

Yes.

Brink, Aug 7, 2016
  15. Dunge Win User
    Any way to include wildcards? Or a specific filename wherever it is on the disk?

Dunge, Aug 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Defender

2. Can't remove an exclusion window defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove an exclusion window defender: A file type name 'exe' unable to remove in the exclusion.I clicked the remove button multiple of times but it didn't work.And i think that a virus because when i'm playing game it keep getting the'Blue screen' when i join the game.It's very annoying uncomfortable...
  3. Can't remove an exclusion window defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't remove an exclusion window defender: A file type name 'exe' unable to remove in the exclusion.I clicked the remove button multiple of times but it didn't work.And i think that a virus because when i'm playing game it keep getting the'Blue screen' when i join the game.It's very annoying uncomfortable...
  4. Can't remove Windows Defender Exclusions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove Windows Defender Exclusions: Split from this thread. Hello! I have the same problem, but this malwarebytes feature becomed only with premium: what can i do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-remove-windows-defender-exclusions/8bc938b2-3851-4df3-9b5b-444539c190fa
  5. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't add an exclusion for windows defender: i'm trying to add an exclusion for a file however it won't show up i even checked registery editor and it is not there at all. What can i do to fix this problem?...
  6. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't add an exclusion for windows defender: i'm trying to add an exclusion for a file however it won't show up i even checked registery editor and it is not there at all. What can i do to fix this problem?...
  7. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. windows defender- Unable to add exclusions

windows defender- Unable to add exclusions: I'm using windows 10. I find that my antimalware service executable uses 27-30% of my cpu resources in times when I need to use it for other purposes which are important to me. As everyone knows that we can't kill this service in task manager, please someone help me how to...
  9. Add Program Exclusions To Windows Defender

Add Program Exclusions To Windows Defender: I make programs to solve needs I have. Many of these programs are TINY as in 50kb or so. On every other machine, double clicking one of these programs spawns a window within a second or less. But I got one machine that has Windows Defender running, and it takes up to a...
  10. "Add an exclusion" not selectable in Windows Defender

"Add an exclusion" not selectable in Windows Defender: For many years, I have used a custom "Hosts" file. I have read that Windows Defender will occasionally find that custom file and reinstall original. When I log on as administrator, the "Add an exclusion" line is gray and not a clickable link. Please help. 70897