Windows 10: Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Hello Dunge, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile I'm afraid that wildcards are not supported for Windows Defender exclusions. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, May 6, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10

Hello Dunge, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm afraid that wildcards are not supported for Windows Defender exclusions.

Brink, Aug 31, 2016
  2. stevoi85 Win User

I have couple of folders in my exclusions that I cannot remove. Among them is this weird one:

Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Since I think they are not supposed to be there (probably some malware doing), I'd like them removed. Any way I can do that?

stevoi85, Mar 4, 2017
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Stevo, *Smile

I don't see anything listed in your screenshot to be removed.

Brink, Mar 4, 2017
  4. stevoi85 Win User

That's the weirdest thing - there's a folder without a name and the Remove button is disabled.

Other folders that appear (not added by me) are:
    C:\Program Files\Youtube AdBlock
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp
    \AppData\Local\Temp
    \AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

All with Remove button disabled. And non of them appear in regedit.

stevoi85, Mar 4, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If they are not listed in the registry, then they are most likely not being excluded.

However, I need to see a screenshot showing them in your Windows Defender exclusions list to help confirm.

Brink, Mar 4, 2017
  6. stevoi85 Win User
    I used right click -> Scan with Windows Defender and it returned 'Scan completed on 0 items'. Here's a screenshot:

stevoi85, Mar 4, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The "Some settings are managed by your organization" message in red usually indicates that you have a group policy set that is overriding those settings.

If you have Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education edition installed, you might double check in the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to see if you have any policies enabled for Windows Defender for this.

Group Policy Editor - Quickly View Enabled Policies in Windows - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Mar 4, 2017
  8. stevoi85 Win User

That's it.

Thanks for your help.

stevoi85, Mar 4, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Mar 4, 2017
  10. blokblok Win User
    Hi im new here hope that ill get a response ...
    I have an exclusion that cant be removed
    and i think its a malware cause when i try to install some antivirus like bullgaurd bitdefender etc the application is blocked and i cant install it here the screen shot of the exclusion

blokblok, Oct 5, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello blokblok, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Which exclusion are you trying to remove?

What happens when you click on the Remove button? Any error messages, or just nothing?

Brink, Oct 5, 2017
  12. blokblok Win User
    when i click the remove button it just goes back all of the items in the screen shot are the items i want to remove

blokblok, Oct 5, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 5, 2017
  14. methusla Win User
    @Brink

An answer to why you might exclude something from Defender scans:

a) Legitimately: Sometimes there are train crashes when Defender examines itself
    Therefore, you might temporarily add exceptions to [folders]:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender Advance Threat Protection
    and there may be some other special cases, if you know what you are doing & the risks involved.

b) You are a cunning malware writer, and you want to stop your victims from scanning your evil concoctions.

Even if you employ (a) as a matter of course, it is advisable to check exclusions periodically (in particular after any malware managed to get through)
    I suppose it's possible the even the Defender files could be compromised, so from time to time re-enable the scans of Defender itself, and scan them. Just to be on the safe side.
    { Hint: You can set your favourite keys as 'favorites' in regedit, and use them just when you do a full scan }

As for (b), malwares often seek to hide from Defender by registering themselves as exclusions. Naughty malwares!
    Often, but not always malwares have rather silly codified names, but sometimes the hide in plain sight as reasonable-looking things like "MySafetyScan" (please don't sue me!).

Third-party scanners, trustworthy online scanners, are less easily fooled. But do be careful to avoid fake scanners that just bring more malwares! { I currently use freewares ESET online, Emsisoft, Malwarebytes etc - your mileage may vary. And use adware scanners. }

There are two distinct ways in which Defender exclusions (files or folders) are registered:
    1) as direct Defender exclusions
    2) as 'Policy' exclusions (security, management)

Both can be solved with regedit, the registry editor (be careful !! - it's a good plan to back up the registry before proceeding !!).
    {You will already know to [winkey], enter "regedit", etc, and to install regedit if you don't have it}

The former (1) are likely to be found in this registry key { burrow down carefully, checking for accuracy as you go! }
    You will see the Defender settings exclusions there (the ones you see by going to Defender settings, exclusions).

If they look like/are malware, you can delete the entries, all except '(default)'. Be careful, double check !!
    {Tip: you can use the standard ctrl-click to select one, & shift-click to select a range) Be careful, double check !! }

The latter (2) are more puzzling, since the Defender settings will not let you remove them.
    You will see a message in RED: Some settings are managed by your organization

Musfiquer Rhman at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-d6b1b7e1c256 solved this by

That's this key:
    A little deeper, I see that some policy keys use "policy objects" (long dll codes in curly brackets), and it may be advisable to drill down into these to make sure they are legitimate. I haven't done so yet.
    These keys, the list may not be complete:
    When you're done, close regedit & reboot, then double-check everything again. And, of course, get Defender updates & run a scan.

methusla, Oct 23, 2017
  15. fishytuna Win User
    Sorry! Missed the link for the Ethernet guide from your previous post *Smile
    Already tried the first option, which did not work *Sad
    Will try the second option also (as soon as I get a chance to restart my computer *Biggrin)
    Thanks!

However, I'd still prefer to go by the firewall approach if possible, because that would ensure that I would never encounter an unexpected Defender data fetch, even when I have connected to a completely new (not-yet-marked-as-metered) wireless/wired network *Smile

fishytuna, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Defender

2. Can't remove an exclusion window defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove an exclusion window defender: A file type name 'exe' unable to remove in the exclusion.I clicked the remove button multiple of times but it didn't work.And i think that a virus because when i'm playing game it keep getting the'Blue screen' when i join the game.It's very annoying uncomfortable...
  3. Can't remove an exclusion window defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't remove an exclusion window defender: A file type name 'exe' unable to remove in the exclusion.I clicked the remove button multiple of times but it didn't work.And i think that a virus because when i'm playing game it keep getting the'Blue screen' when i join the game.It's very annoying uncomfortable...
  4. Can't remove Windows Defender Exclusions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove Windows Defender Exclusions: Split from this thread. Hello! I have the same problem, but this malwarebytes feature becomed only with premium: what can i do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-remove-windows-defender-exclusions/8bc938b2-3851-4df3-9b5b-444539c190fa
  5. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't add an exclusion for windows defender: i'm trying to add an exclusion for a file however it won't show up i even checked registery editor and it is not there at all. What can i do to fix this problem?...
  6. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't add an exclusion for windows defender: i'm trying to add an exclusion for a file however it won't show up i even checked registery editor and it is not there at all. What can i do to fix this problem?...
  7. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. windows defender- Unable to add exclusions

windows defender- Unable to add exclusions: I'm using windows 10. I find that my antimalware service executable uses 27-30% of my cpu resources in times when I need to use it for other purposes which are important to me. As everyone knows that we can't kill this service in task manager, please someone help me how to...
  9. Add Program Exclusions To Windows Defender

Add Program Exclusions To Windows Defender: I make programs to solve needs I have. Many of these programs are TINY as in 50kb or so. On every other machine, double clicking one of these programs spawns a window within a second or less. But I got one machine that has Windows Defender running, and it takes up to a...
  10. "Add an exclusion" not selectable in Windows Defender

"Add an exclusion" not selectable in Windows Defender: For many years, I have used a custom "Hosts" file. I have read that Windows Defender will occasionally find that custom file and reinstall original. When I log on as administrator, the "Add an exclusion" line is gray and not a clickable link. Please help. 70897